Lane splitting is legal.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is the only good thing that I can say about California. I do it on occasion here in Vegas on the strip during the weekends when the traffic is bumber to bumper. But it is not legal, but the cops don't seem to have a problem with it, so far.

S

sportrider

well I stand corrected, I split all the time. I guess I never actually knew the details to the law. nice to know!!! freeway splitting is the best!!!!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, in the UK we call it filtering. It is neither legal nor is it illegal here :confused:. Depending on who you speak to. As a general rule of thumb you can do it as long as its done safely.:Sport:

hobbit

Short fat and hairy :))))
Reaction score
Visit site
i have always filtered i even filtered on my test which is how i lost my examiner - if i had not filtered he would have failed me he said it would have been classed as hesitatiion and not making good progress

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunate that the road-rage cagers can't understand that they will reach their destination quicker, too, if the bikes split on ahead. Otherwise, they'll be occupying pretty much the same length of road that another car would.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunate that the road-rage cagers can't understand that they will reach their destination quicker, too, if the bikes split on ahead. Otherwise, they'll be occupying pretty much the same length of road that another car would.

I agree, but think back to your pre bike days. How did you feel about it?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I agree, but think back to your pre bike days. How did you feel about it?

Well, I've never lived anywhere where it was legal before. I've seen it visiting CA and England, it scared me the first time it happened but otherwise I didn't think one way or the other about it. :shrug:

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Biggest thing about lane splitting is to watch the cagers heads and mirrors! Watch to see where they are looking because that is where they are going! Sudden lane changes can give you a bad day, keep your eyes open and your mind alert. I've had truckers try to pinch me off. So just remember that a lot of cagers are hostile to lane splitters and wiil do the damndest of things to stop you. Doors will open at funny times.:mad: