know when to back down

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
This morning on my way into work, for the first time someone actually tried to take me out. I was on a 2mile long on ramp where 285 and 75 met at a state highway. I did as i allways do and fell right in line with the other cars heading towards 75 south. I was in the far right lane of the on ramp wich ends and merges into one. To try to give you a mental picture i will try to describe this crazy on ramp once you turn off the road it is 2 lanes wide for about 200yds before 2 more lanes join in from the perimeter (285), then you have about a 500yd stretch of 4 lanes before the 2 split off 2 for north and 2 for south, im in the far right of the 2 headed south, but once those 2 lanes that are heading south split off about 200yds later 2 more lanes join in narrowing down into 1 lane that exits the interstate. So needless to say its a f'd up on ramp. Anyways i was following 2 other cars that were also in the far right lane and about 50yds past where the 2 other lanes join in, my lane merges into 1 lane. So i look in my mirror and i see a small suv about 4 car lengths back, plently of room so i began moving over as well as the 2 cars in front of me because our lane was ending. Well that suv didnt think i should have moved over so they started flicking their lights, honking their horn and started getting real close to me. Fyi we are running about 60mph, being the fact that i do have a slight case of road rage i figured id tell him that he was #1 and held my finger up for quote some time, the suv backed off only to floor it and get what seemed like inches from my rear, i should have droped a gear and left the situation but my adrenaline was pumping so hard i almost felt like throwing up. So i slamed the brakes a couple times, he backed off again and when he didi threw both my arms up in the arm waving them around like "oh no im so scared", that probably ticked them off even more because the suv floored it changed lanes and tried to either get in front of me to cut me off or push me off the road, but i didnt give them the chance because once i saw it change lanes and moving quick i droped 2 gears and hammered down so they couldnt get in front of me, they did however get right beside me and keep trying to move over but i didnt budge. I slowed just a little so that i could see the driver and i looked right at him shaked my head in disappointed kicked the he!! Out of his driver side door and was gone. I didnt want to wait around to see what he would do next. But looking back on that after i got to work and had time to calm down i realize how extremely stupid i was and how easily i could have ended up as just another stistic. I dont think i did anything wrong by moving over in the first place because there was plenty of room and his reaction is what set me off but there is no excuse for my squidly behavior. Once i saw that he was unhappy with me i should have just ignored him, and if he still rode my bumper i should have just got out of there. I know im probably going to catch flack from yall because of my actions and i realized that before i even posted it, and wouldnt have even told yall about it for that fact. But maybe just maybe someone will read this and if they ever find themselves in a similar situation they will choose flight
instead of fight, it might even save someones life. I know why i did it but after thinking about it after i had calmed down, all it would have taken was for him to not hit his brakes when i did, or jerk the wheel when he was beside me and i would have almost certainly be dead right now. I can honestly say that if im put in a situation like that again i wont hesitate to get out of there, and i hope that if anyone who reads this unfortunately finds themselves in a similar situation, if they would have done the same prior to reading this that maybe this will change their minds.....

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep.

Pin it, get the hell out of there, take the next exit, and call in the rager. Bonus points for getting a plate number.

Glad you got out of there ok.

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
Although I cannot condone your actions, especially since it would have been more than difficult for me to have not done the same, I do appreciate the fact that you now realize that getting worked up, especially on a bike, is never a good idea. I think that most of us here have been in a similar situation at one time or another. And I can almost guarantee you that many here have also acted in a similar fashion. In situations like that, it can be very hard not to want to retaliate. Even to this day I fight that urge. Sometimes my reasoning takes over and I do my best to avoid the situation, sometimes not...

Thanks for posting this. Hopefully it will help some of us remember that not only do we not want to be hurt or killed in a bad situation, but also not be in a position to hurt others no matter the circumstance.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I can't condone your actions around kicking his door in. You could have put yourself off balance and at risk. Worse yet, he may have gotten your license plate and called you in as a hit and run road rage.

Most importantly, you reflected on the situation and will learn from it. ALL idiots like this cager are not worth the time or effort on a bike or in a car. Just get out of there next time, lane split if you need to. Keep riding safely!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
A few years back a local guy on a Harley had a road rage battle with a Chevy Blazer. The guy on the Harley is dead.

Know when to say when is a smart move.

lazerfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
epic bro- but seriously pics or it didn't happen LOL

i saw this one guy that had a case of a rager on his tail, and he sped up real fast, pulled over, and then blasted the cager's windshield with a rock from the shoulder of the road, it was pretty hil-ar-i-o-u-s

Last edited:

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive been in the same type of situation before and like you ive also came to the realization that its better to get the **** out of there instead of trying to fight, thats not to say I still wouldnt give them the finger first lol. People are insane and I honestly dont trust anyone on the road. You never know whos going to go crazy with rage and just run us over for pissing them off. Heres a more drastic example on a highway ive ridden alot. Guy got really lucky.

Driver Dodges Bullet on I-96

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive been in the same type of situation before and like you ive also came to the realization that its better to get the **** out of there instead of trying to fight, thats not to say I still wouldnt give them the finger first lol. People are insane and I honestly dont trust anyone on the road. You never know whos going to go crazy with rage and just run us over for pissing them off. Heres a more drastic example on a highway ive ridden alot. Guy got really lucky.

Driver Dodges Bullet on I-96

Thats taking things way to far, but i have had a gun waved around at me and the guy driving while in a work van around that same spot that this happend this morning. The interstates around any major city have all gotten crazy!

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reality check. Get the heck out of there. We are way to at risk riding motorcycles anyway. Thanks for the reminder to stay cool at all times. You just bring yourself down to there level by retaliating. There are too many bad crazy cagers out there. So be cool always.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Similar situation..2 weeks after I got my license, I was slowing down to a yield sign (rt hand curve) at exit 0 off the parkway. I guess the car behind me didnt see me (or did), and blew by me. I chased him down to the Lt hand turn to get back onto gsp north, caught up to him,(dirt bike reactions kicked in), locked up the rear and hit the horn.....

Same as you, I realized right then and there, it was a stupid move and a VERY humbling experience. Lesson learned...nuff said.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Man, glad things didn't turn out worse for you. Living in the Atlanta area, I can attest to the fact that we have the WORSE drivers there are. Glad to see you made it out OK, and you know to haul ass next time (after flipping him off if need be :) )

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I can't condone your actions around kicking his door in. You could have put yourself off balance and at risk. Worse yet, he may have gotten your license plate and called you in as a hit and run road rage.

"Yes officer, I'd like to report road rage. I was trying to smear this motorcyclist all over the pavement, and he had the nerve to kick my door when I tried to run him off the road!" :BLAA:

Not saying it's right, but I won't hesitate to do the same thing. If you let 'em get away with it scot free, then they just think it's acceptable. Next time, the rider might not be so alert, or so lucky.

That said, I won't hesitate to get their plate and call it in as soon as I extract myself from the situation, either. He who calls first is believed. It sucks it has to be that way, but it is. :(

I'm not nearly as aggressive on the bike as I am in a car when confronted with stupidity. Especially my pet peeve, those people who see a lane ending, get in that lane, rush up to the front and try to force their way in. My wife gets mad, because I'm content to let them sideswipe me, and their insurance can fix my car up. It's got a few door dings I'd like to get fixed anyway. :rolleyes: The way I see it, if they got stuck there for a nice, long while as the entire line of traffic blocks them in, they'll think twice next time.

Yeah, I know that sounds like an a-hole move. Sit in an hour-long traffic jam caused by these morons a few times, then tell me how ya feel.

shuckle

Reaction score
Visit site
Especially my pet peeve, those people who see a lane ending, get in that lane, rush up to the front and try to force their way in. My wife gets mad, because I'm content to let them sideswipe me, and their insurance can fix my car up. It's got a few door dings I'd like to get fixed anyway. :rolleyes: The way I see it, if they got stuck there for a nice, long while as the entire line of traffic blocks them in, they'll think twice next time.

Yeah, I know that sounds like an a-hole move. Sit in an hour-long traffic jam caused by these morons a few times, then tell me how ya feel.

I agree, those people infuriate me too. It also drives me crazy that people let them in.

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
Especially my pet peeve, those people who see a lane ending, get in that lane, rush up to the front and try to force their way in. My wife gets mad, because I'm content to let them sideswipe me, and their insurance can fix my car up. It's got a few door dings I'd like to get fixed anyway. :rolleyes: The way I see it, if they got stuck there for a nice, long while as the entire line of traffic blocks them in, they'll think twice next time.

I disagree in certain situations. If traffic is backed up on the lane the other lane is clear you are free to use it otherwise traffic would back up too much

COLO.h4.jpg

jresch10

Sarcastic American
Reaction score
Visit site
It's good that you can look back rationally on the situation after the fact and learn from it.

I had some kid in a white Chevy Cobalt on my tail this morning on a swervey - curvy 2 lane road. When we came out of the curves, he floored it and went out around me. I thought about going WOT and showing him that he wasn't as fast as he thought he was but it was a good thing I didn't because two deer were crossing the road a short distance ahead. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been noticing over the last few weeks, that people have been abnormally aggressive towards myself and other riders. Yeah, around here there's always someone that just has to tailgate or do something else, but lately it's been too many like that! I always just pull over, or gun it and get the heck out of there. It's really hard for me sometimes to just "let it go", even though I know that it's the smarter move. With morons like that, nothing short of torture will get them to understand their stupidity, so no point in engaging them. Anything other than ignoring them just fuels the fire. Clearly the person you encountered is mentally unstable, and has much deeper issues than what's going on on the roadways. That's no excuse mind you, but something to keep in mind. I just fume for a while, rev the piss out of the FZ, and do some high speed runs to get it out of my system. Seems to work alright. :D

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
Something to think about: do you really want this posted on a public forum? Obviously the driver wasn't exactly innocent, but here in this public forum you're admitting to denting the side of somebody's car... Just trying to make sure you don't get in trouble or anything if the driver is out looking for incriminating evidence...

Again, not trying to condemn you or anything, just wondering if you might want to take down the post for a while...