KN filter noise

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
Just how noisy should the KN filter be? It sounds almost identical below 6,000. When it approaches 7,000 it gets really really raspy... i cannot really describe it. Then beyond that it just sounds loud, in a good way. Does everyone else experience this super raspy noise around 7,000? It doesn't bother me that much, I just want to know if something is wrong.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just how noisy should the KN filter be? It sounds almost identical below 6,000. When it approaches 7,000 it gets really really raspy... i cannot really describe it. Then beyond that it just sounds loud, in a good way. Does everyone else experience this super raspy noise around 7,000? It doesn't bother me that much, I just want to know if something is wrong.
I am looking at them so can't answer your question. Do you have stock exhaust? Will it make your bike run leaner?

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good questions. I am looking forward to possibly installing this K&N filter this Friday as well. I have stock exhausts and am curious to see whether the filter is worth the extra $$$. They say that the filter will last a lifetime with proper care/cleaning. Does anyone have any input on the Cleaning of the K&N filter?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good questions. I am looking forward to possibly installing this K&N filter this Friday as well. I have stock exhausts and am curious to see whether the filter is worth the extra $$$. They say that the filter will last a lifetime with proper care/cleaning. Does anyone have any input on the Cleaning of the K&N filter?
I used them on strokers and all I did was wash in mild detergent and dry, then lightly soak in oil.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do K&N still suggest a power increase with stock exhaust?

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Just how noisy should the KN filter be? It sounds almost identical below 6,000. When it approaches 7,000 it gets really really raspy...

That's just the sound of your bike ingesting airborne dust particles. It's totally normal for that to happen with a K&N.

Fred

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's just the sound of your bike ingesting airborne dust particles. It's totally normal for that to happen with a K&N.

Fred
What about power increase fred? Will the \CPU sort out the lean burn?

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Assuming the K&N does flow better (a huge assumption) I'd say yes. The MAP sensor will see higher manifold pressure and adjust.

Fred

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Assuming the K&N does flow better (a huge assumption) I'd say yes. The MAP sensor will see higher manifold pressure and adjust.

Fred
Thanks fred,
After YAMAHA decided that my engine tapping was of no concern I am now going to diguise it.

Neil

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
i installed mine 2 months ago,,still couldnt go for a ride yet,,,damn snow! i had k&n filters in various vehicles,,,the open air car filters really make a lot of sound difference,,,it feels good and feels like you have more power but i never really measured anything,,,,
Inbox K&N filters just like ours sound less then the open air filters but still make a significant sound difference....i had it on my vstorm,,,i think it made a little bit difference,,when you open up the throttle you can actually hear the air filling in to burn more gas for you...i hope it makes a little bit of difference on my FZ6 ,too.....i also have the stock exhausts...i'll be able to try it starting from next week i hope...

H

HavBlue

What about power increase fred? Will the CPU sort out the lean burn?

The engine management system will cover for the increased flow and yes, K&N still dyno tests every filter application with appropriate literature in the box. I have used their products for years both in the off highway and street applications. They are super easy to service and in my vehicles the difference to the OEM filters in terms of noise and performance is observable.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i installed mine 2 months ago,,still couldnt go for a ride yet,,,damn snow! i had k&n filters in various vehicles,,,the open air car filters really make a lot of sound difference,,,it feels good and feels like you have more power but i never really measured anything,,,,
Inbox K&N filters just like ours sound less then the open air filters but still make a significant sound difference....i had it on my vstorm,,,i think it made a little bit difference,,when you open up the throttle you can actually hear the air filling in to burn more gas for you...i hope it makes a little bit of difference on my FZ6 ,too.....i also have the stock exhausts...i'll be able to try it starting from next week i hope...
Please report back mate. Not just with overall sound and feel but MPG as well.
If its not to lame to ask and you have the oppertunity. Please do a how to guide.
This will enhance the user friendly theme of the site.

NEIL

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The engine management system will cover for the increased flow and yes, K&N still dyno tests every filter application with appropriate literature in the box. I have used their products for years both in the off highway and street applications. They are super easy to service and in my vehicles the difference to the OEM filters in terms of noise and performance is observable.
Thanks Charlie,
It just adds to my feeling that its the way to go. "Now howsa bout then there tars"?

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The K&N filters are pre-oiled. The cleaning maintenance of this filter should be done at around 50,000 miles - great news. If the vehicle is used in a heavily polluted and/or dusty area (deserts) it may require more frequent cleaning, around 25,000 miles, which is still great news. My mechanic friend informed that while maintaining such filter and then oiling it, one has to be careful not to overdue the oil application as it may potentially damage the bike. So I decided to simply replace the filter after the 25,000 or 50,000 miles to prevent that. Below are the K&N maintenance instructions:
K&N Air Filter Cleaning Instructions

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use K&N on all my vehicles and they do in fact have a higher flow of air, but not so much that the ECU can;t adjust for it. it definitely has a seat of the pants gain (not sure what an actual dyno would reveal) I clean them once a year on the bikes even though it is not "time" for it yet, but i find it to be a best practice to do so. You can get the cleaning its for the filters that come with the cleaning solution and then oil to re-apply.

Take the plundge!!! you'll love it.

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
I use K&N on all my vehicles and they do in fact have a higher flow of air, but not so much that the ECU can;t adjust for it. it definitely has a seat of the pants gain (not sure what an actual dyno would reveal) I clean them once a year on the bikes even though it is not "time" for it yet, but i find it to be a best practice to do so. You can get the cleaning its for the filters that come with the cleaning solution and then oil to re-apply.

Take the plundge!!! you'll love it.

Sounds good... but is anyone going to answer the original question of this thread?! ...haha, crap.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds good... but is anyone going to answer the original question of this thread?! ...haha, crap.

oh yeah, i suppose we should answer that... it is a bit louder under hard accelleration, and at high RPM's. It sounds a little deeper and the vollume is increased.

H

HavBlue

No, without actually hearing the noise you are terming "raspy" the question is virtually impossible to answer. I can however say that I agree with your saying things sound much the same at rpm levels and for me, part throttle load levels below around 7,000rpm. Above this mark and especially if you have done some sort of air box mod things do get increasingly louder; if the throttle bore is wide open you can really tell the difference. I, like Reiobard, clean and oil the filter once a season with the approved K&N cleaner and oil that both come in quart bottles. To me, K&N is money well spent......