Kisan CG-25 Voltmeter/Ammeter Tested with Gerbings Heated Gear--Results

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
I posted my install in a separate post and will post pics there later.

I tested drain on the battery of my Gerbings microwire products--G3 gloves and Jacket liner. The Gloves are rated at 2.2 amps per Gerbings and the jacket liner is 6.4 amps. I have the Gerbings portable dual controller, which I carry in my left jacket pocket for ease of reach and adjustment on the fly.

After changing the CG-25 display to Amps and idling the bike it settles nicely at "0", where you want it if the alternator is powering the bike with no battery drain.

Gloves. With the low beams on and no other accessories on the bike, when I slowly adjust the glove controller upward all the way to max (these things get hella hot) the amps stay at 0. With the gloves on max and switching to high beam with Kisan Technologies headlight modulation, the ammeter is usually at 0 but occasionally flashes to "-1". Not too concerned.

Jacket Liner. When proceeding the same way with the jacket liner a slow progression from low to high on the controller yields -1, -2, -3 etc. up to -11 amps, on low beam. On high beam same results except at max there is the occasional flash to -12. These readings are true WHETHER OR NOT the gloves are also running, and at any settings for the gloves (weird).

It's like the gloves are nothing to the bike's charging system, but the jacket liner with or without gloves causes up to a -11 condition at the battery! In all cases revving the bike to about 3K did not affect the results. I don't like to rev higher on the stand but will observe on the road later.

Voltage was unaffected by all of this--about 12.7 with the bike off and 13.6 or so at idle and a little higher with revs.

This same glove/jacket liner combination caused me to get stranded on my last 2009 FZ6 a couple winters ago after a couple days in a row of heated gear usage. I did not have a battery tender then, but have since been using a one every night.

I'm going to call Andy at Kisan tomorrow and get his theory about why a 6.4 amp product could show -11 on the Kisan CG-25 and may call Gerbing. I would like the bike to be able to handle these two pieces of simple gear!