Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Gloves every time

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • I use a barrier cream / soap before I start

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Other method please explain

Votes: 25 36.8%

• Total voters
Get Swarfega Wipes, amazing things. saves mess when using the soap. use the wipes to get rid of most of the crap then wash as normal.

p.s. also good for cleaning oil off the wheels etc

Latex or vinyl gloves like your doctor wears is great for keeping hands clean and maintaining feel of small parts while working. We wore them daily when I was an automotive mechanic. Just buy a box and keep them in the garage. They do tend to rip easily if you snag them on something but hey the box has 100 gloves. This may have already been posted I just didn't take the time to read every post. Tends to be time consuming on the old blackberry.

GoJo Orange without water and good nail brush does a good job for me.

I wear solvent resistant gloves when cleaning parts, and mechanic cloves for jobs that might be knuckle busters, otherwise just use my hands.

North Woods by Superior - Glove Solvent Cream. Phone 800-242-7694 I think this stuff works better than the rath's pr88 in that it dries faster and lasts longer. Just wash it off when you are done with normal soap and water. Application lasts for 4 hours.

Man, what are you talking about. I just use my pants!!!! Not my riding pants but whatever I am wearing......just kidding.....kinda......ha ha..ehhh...yea.

Actually I just started EMT-B classes and plan and hope to go on to paramedic so I guess I had better get out of that habit and I start a new job as a patient transport at a large local hospital on monday as well.

What is it that you do?? Don't you work in the ER??

Neil can you remember Ajax powder?

As a kid coming home from doing kid stuff (dismantling push bikes,climbing trees,throwing mud at each other) my mum made me scrub the hands with ajax powder and a nail brush,geezz did that bl**dy hurt, had to scrub them clean until they nearly bled.

As for cleaning them now I use swarf with a little sand added to get into the little cracks,works a treat.:thumbup:

Gaz

Man, what are you talking about. I just use my pants!!!! Not my riding pants but whatever I am wearing......just kidding.....kinda......ha ha..ehhh...yea.

Actually I just started EMT-B classes and plan and hope to go on to paramedic so I guess I had better get out of that habit and I start a new job as a patient transport at a large local hospital on monday as well.

What is it that you do?? Don't you work in the ER??
Yes mate I do.
Good luck with the classes.

Nelly

Neil can you remember Ajax powder?

Gaz

:rof: LMAO we used to use AJAX, that stuff was full of ammonia.

I have used swarf, but it didn't get rid of all the in ground crap.
Maybe the sand trick is the key?

Thanks to you all for answering.

Nelly

GoJo Orange without water and good nail brush does a good job for me.

I wear solvent resistant gloves when cleaning parts, and mechanic cloves for jobs that might be knuckle busters, otherwise just use my hands.
I have used some orange based cleaning products a few years ago. I haven't seen any for a while.

Latex or vinyl gloves like your doctor wears is great for keeping hands clean and maintaining feel of small parts while working. We wore them daily when I was an automotive mechanic. Just buy a box and keep them in the garage. They do tend to rip easily if you snag them on something but hey the box has 100 gloves. This may have already been posted I just didn't take the time to read every post. Tends to be time consuming on the old blackberry.
I normally use gloves. I just forgot on this occasion.

Nelly

A poor man's version is just to take dish soap and a couple of spoonfuls of sugar. It works like Lava soap and most people have it around the house all the time.

Lava soap, or in a pinch, I'll use regular dish soap mixed with baking soda.

The grit from the baking soda provide just enough abrasive to remove dirt and grease from your hands.

There are a lot of shouts for the Orange stuff. I will see if I can source some.

Cheers
Guys

Nelly:thumbup:

I use Orange Clean, it comes in a pumice and it is specifically designed for tough engine grease, oil, and grit. Also it comes with a thick bristled brush for cracks in your knuckles and under your finger nails.

You can get it at any local auto parts store. It comes in an orange bottle.

I use this stuff too...its great. Bought it after the first oil change on the bike since that was the one that was messiest. I always thought if you didn't come away with black hands after playing grease monkey, you didn't do something right...!

Gojo Hand Cleaner

If this stuff doesn't take it off, it didn't come from your motorcycle. Should be able to pick it or something real similiar from any car parts store. Might want to pick up a soft brush to get under your nails to.

GoJo is the stuff. It uses a citrus oil and pumice combination that's the best hand cleaner I've ever used. The citrus oil has an orange smell but don't confuse it with Fast Orange hand cleaner which isn't nearly as good (no pumice).

Back