Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Gloves every time

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • I use a barrier cream / soap before I start

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Other method please explain

Votes: 25 36.8%

• Total voters
I don't like gloves either, as there is a loss of sensitivity there.
Sort of like the other gloves we must use sometimes....
I just use GoJo to get rid of most of the grease. Then follow up with
dishwashing soap and a wash rag. The wash rag seems to get the hard to
remove dirt and grease in the cracks and fingernails.
Be sure to use lotion to keep them from drying out so bad. I use Gold Bond, it
has no odor and seems to work well.
On the cuts and scrapes, keep band aids on them with neosporin at night
and leave them off during the day. Seems to heal well that way.
That's how we do it in Texas.

once i'd read the second line..the rest of this post was total innuendo
...ill get my coat :ban:

AC050953l.jpg

I use these blue nitrile gloves, they are very easy to work with.

I second that orange clean. I used it when working at the gas station by my house. Got everything off, from oil all the way to gas and grime; and left your hands nice and orange smelling!

Nitrile gloves are the way to go. No need to clean up afterwards that way. Plus you likely already have or have access to them, and are use to wearing them.

Surgical gloves (I know someone in the businesses :) ) works for me.

As A cleaner I would use normal dish-washing (The manual kind) liquid. It seems to do the job every time, without destroying my delicate computer fingers :)

I use nitrile gloves when I'm dealing with axle grease or fiberglass resin. Otherwise, I use plain old dial soap. Just completely scrub all over your hands before you ever add water, and once you do, use just a dab at the beginning.

Do you ever have a problem with them ripping?

I pretty much always rip them when I use them - so I gave up. I use mechanics gloves for the really grimy and not too delicate stuff, otherwise I just get dirty and use Fast Orange and rub the heck out of my hands. Add a nail brush and I'm usually presentable unless it was bad (like the oil/carbon/who knows what else soaked spark arrestor I pulled from my XT350 exhaust - I was still dirty after that one).:D

Excellent suggestions - and I was going to say scrub like mad! Which is what I do...

There is a product out there that defies removal no matter what you do... Called Blu-Kote. I grew up on a small beef farm and we used Blu-Kote as our do-all antiseptic for the animals. The sprayer would get clogged up and your fingers would get coated - yup, blue/purple color. I couldn't find a thing to remove it except time.

Orange Clean soap works great if your hands are already dirty.
If you anticipate getting dirty disposeable nitrile gloves work great
If you hate gloves we use a product called PR88 at the shop. Just a barrier cream but water turns it into a moisturizing soap. The only downside to it for me is when you are painting inside a 90* paint booth your hands sweat in the little lines and sweat is water based and will start making it come off.

for around the shop though the barrier cream is fantastic. Oils, solvents, basecoats, clearcoats, dirt, carbon; it all slides right off under the sink with the cream

Last edited:
simple and stupid is the way I go.

My old boss when I worked on big trucks taught me this trick. He always kept a can of shaving cream next to the sink and the time clock. We would all rub a little bit of shaving cream into our hands in the morning and again every time we washed our hands.
It keeps your skin from cracking and hurting, protects if from chemicals (somewhat anyway) but most of all grease and dirt just wash right away.

Work it down into your cuticles and up underneath your fingernails. Just keep rubbing it in untill it disapears. Try it and you will love it.

Snap-on used to sell this barrier creme you could use like a liquid glove, it was just a bit better but costed way way way to much.

Basicly if you will try the shaving creme trick and remember to to use it everytime you wash your hands they will stay clean.

First I have to say I don't have to work on the bike that often and it is pretty clean so getting dirty isn't that big an issue (unlike many of my long dead/gone trucks & jeep). When I am going to be getting into the greasy parts I just go naked & use some orange sandy goo to clean up with. Gets the skin clean by removing about two layers!

There's a simple and popular product sold at any autoparts store here called Fast Orange.
I use it all the time after working on my car/bike and it gets all the grime off. It won't work if you get your hands wet first though.

GO JO. that is all you will ever need.

ok ok maybe some lotion in the drier climates but we dont have that problem here in Florida.

You should "defo" use a barrier cream.

Also I have seem some nasty photos of people with dermatitis around the danglly bits who did not wash before they used the toilet let alone after. :(
Why would you have those photo's lol.

We have a product here on this side of the pond that is available everywhere, GO-JO. This comes in various sizes and types. It gets everything off your and clothing with NO side effects, GRUMPY

I use WD-40 or gasoline for the tough dirt and then a mild hand soap. My hands are a little dry after that but at least they are clean.:thumbup:

Back