Kawasaki ZR7 ?

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
It's been awhile since I've posted, but I have a question for a buddy.

A guy I work with is looking to get into motorcycle riding and we've been talking about the safest way to get into the sport. We've discussed starting out with a less expensive, older 250-500 cc class motorcycle to learn on. He plans on taking the MSF BRC class this Spring and also plans on taking the ERC when it's offered later in the year.

He was fine with looking for a smaller bike, but the opportunity to purchase a 2003 Kawasaki ZR-7S has presented itself recently. The bike appears to be in excellent condition and has just under 8,000 miles on the clock. The seller wants $3,000 OBO and it comes with two windshields, a brand new set of spare tires and saddle bags for touring.

Here's the question... does anybody know anything about this bike? From internet specs, it appears to be a 734 cc air/oil cooled inline 4 cylinder engine. It has 76 hp, and 46 lb-ft of torque. From a pure engine size standpoint, I understand this bike is probably a bit large for a beginner and I have cautioned him numerous times of this aspect.

I will provide my buddy with a link to this thread so he can read any and all responses from this site. If you have any thoughts on this particular bike, or a relative newbie starting on a ZR-7S please feel free to post up.

Thanks guys!

Here's a link to the bike specs and a photo.
Kawasaki ZR-7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
seems like it would be ok for a novice (provided they had some training), though i'd question how good the price is, but i don't really know much about these bikes

cookies

Reaction score
Visit site
i had a 2002 kawasaki zr7 (s) if the version he's getting is just the xr7 imo it's ugly as hell, if it's the zr7s it's still ugly, and regardless of which it is, it's underpowered, the zr7 was my first bike, and i learned to ride myself, as well as two up on it, it's NOTHING that can get overwelming easy throttle, good breaks, buck LACKS very much in the power dept, it's a 750cc ( 700cc respectivly ) had has a very low power output, it's not a good bike, but it's a high investment for someone that will get rid of it after one season, i just got a 2006 fz6 for 3k... and as a new rider i just keep it under 8k rpm's i still have fun, AND im able to go fast if / when im ready.. anyways just my thoughts :)

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
The version he's looking at is the true ZR-7S. His plan is to buy the bike and park it until he completes a formal riding course. Its winter here anyway, so parking a bike is not a huge burden.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
MCN review for reference:

Kawasaki ZR-7 (1999-2004) - Kawasaki Motorcycle Reviews

if it was a good price then it might be worth it, otherwise there's plenty of other bikes that offer something similar or better. The luggage does sweeten the deal a little, but it still doesn't seem that cheap to me.

edit: maybe it's a good price for in the US?

Last edited:

cookies

Reaction score
Visit site
MCN review for reference:

Kawasaki ZR-7 (1999-2004) - Kawasaki Motorcycle Reviews

if it was a good price then it might be worth it, otherwise there's plenty of other bikes that offer something similar or better. The luggage does sweeten the deal a little, but it still doesn't seem that cheap to me.

edit: maybe it's a good price for in the US?
honestly i can't see how it's a good price when i got a newer fz6 more powerful bike for the same price, although the luggage DOES sweeten the deal.. is it worth 1k, the miles are low so that's nice, but i had oil leaks, fork leaks, and it was expensive to get them damn carbs redone all the time, about every 10k miles.. IMO now that we can get FI for so cheap, all new riders should get it, less maint and easier to generally drive. again just my opinion. i think he should get soemthing a little newer hell a ninja 650r can be had for that price, AND it's still a kawasaki :p and it has bags for it as well... what state is he in.

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
Get him an FZ6! I found mine for $2,500 its an 06 with 8.5k miles on it and I got last June. There are probably better deals out there then that bike, get a better one that might be a little banged up. It wont matter much if its cosmetic hell end up dropping it a few times anyway.:thumbup:

TAPnTX

Reaction score
Visit site
It's been awhile since I've posted, but I have a question for a buddy.

A guy I work with is looking to get into motorcycle riding and we've been talking about the safest way to get into the sport. We've discussed starting out with a less expensive, older 250-500 cc class motorcycle to learn on. He plans on taking the MSF BRC class this Spring and also plans on taking the ERC when it's offered later in the year.

He was fine with looking for a smaller bike, but the opportunity to purchase a 2003 Kawasaki ZR-7S has presented itself recently. The bike appears to be in excellent condition and has just under 8,000 miles on the clock. The seller wants $3,000 OBO and it comes with two windshields, a brand new set of spare tires and saddle bags for touring.

Here's the question... does anybody know anything about this bike? From internet specs, it appears to be a 734 cc air/oil cooled inline 4 cylinder engine. It has 76 hp, and 46 lb-ft of torque. From a pure engine size standpoint, I understand this bike is probably a bit large for a beginner and I have cautioned him numerous times of this aspect.

I will provide my buddy with a link to this thread so he can read any and all responses from this site. If you have any thoughts on this particular bike, or a relative newbie starting on a ZR-7S please feel free to post up.

Thanks guys!

Here's a link to the bike specs and a photo.
Kawasaki ZR-7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have one and it is an excellent bike. Very easy to maintain, low seat height, and lots of torque. Last time I rode mine a few weeks ago, I was getting 55 MPG. The only thing I could see this bike needing is maybe heavier springs in the forks if he is over 180#. I just put spacers in mine and it works just fine.

It is just a good solid bike, that will run forever.

The price seems about right with everything that is included. And with gas prices on the rise, I am sure he will get the $3k for it if gas goes up anymore.

Todd

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a friend who owns a ZR7 for donkey's years and its a reliable bike, he never complained about excessive maintenance etc.

as a side note. haven t we generally agreed that the fz6 is not suitable for beginners? i mean if you keep it below 7k its ok but there are more suitable bikes for beginners.. how come now it has become suitable? maybe because of price?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
as a side note. haven t we generally agreed that the fz6 is not suitable for beginners? i mean if you keep it below 7k its ok but there are more suitable bikes for beginners.. how come now it has become suitable? maybe because of price?

without going too much off topic, i think it's quite debatable, for many of us the FZ6 is a first bike

I think it depends on your training and maturity. It does seem easier to become a squid in places like america though, where no formal training is required. For me I had about 4 days of training, starting on a 125, and then a 500cc bike, and had to pass theory and practical tests.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
My buddy found a 2007 FZ6 in a nearby town with 1,300 miles on the clock. The guy wants $4,300 but that's a bit more than my buddy is looking to spend even if he gets a better deal on it.

We're off to go look at the ZR-7 and I'll report back with his decision this evening. All in all, I don't think the ZR-7 would be a bad bike for him. He seems to have taken a shine to the ZR-7 just from the photos.

06Fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
this is just my .2 cents. alot of people prob wont agree with me, but lets face it any bike can get you hurt. I dont belive in the whole beginner bike thing everyone ask or always talks about. If you can hold it up good and feel comfortable on it then anyone can learn to control the power. If you cant control yourself then you shouldnt be on a motorcycle in the first place. my first bike was a 01 R6 never ridden a street bike before but had plenty of years motorcross racing, it doesnt matter so much the size as it does the rider riding it lets face it most of the underpowered bikes are still faster than the average car. so you can get hurt. but on the other hand i just payed 2 grand for a 06 Fz6 with 5200 miles 1 owner bike that only had couple of light scratches. and that 7 is gonna be alot harder to sell one day then the fz6 because of popularity, kinda like a triumph.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
my first and only is my current fz6.. never been on anything else (even in the dirt) and i agree that its a maturity level thing.. if you drive it like an a$$hat, then bad stuff is bound to happen.. maybe not right off, but eventually.. good luck with the bike search.. the zr7 looks snazzy

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys... the 2003 Kawi ZR7-S followed us home today. My buddy liked it enough, and ended up getting the bike for $2,800.

The seller threw in a Kawasaki armored mesh jacket, a brand new set of Metzler Interact dual compound tires, a spare windshield, textile saddle bags and a textile tailbag.

Overall, it didn't seem like too bad of a deal. The bike was super clean, and I couldn't find a single dent, ding or scratch anywhere. My buddy will be taking the MSF BRC class this April and he's staying off the ZR7 until he gets his endorsement.