Kawa 250R sidemirror on FZ6

VNP3

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey that looks sooooooo awesome. Is there a link you from where you bought them?

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Got mine today, brand new, OEM from Kawa dealer.
Installed - view is way way better. Will test ride tomorrow or Thu.
Thanks OP! looks so much better - look like they were made for FZ6!

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure how many of you know this, but the Ninja 650R mirrors are identical to the 250R mirrors, except the stem is a little bit longer (not sure how much). I only know this because I was looking into mirror replacements for my 250R awhile ago. I know they vibrate a little bit more than the 250R mirrors, but the extra length would be nice.

Ninja250RandEX650MirrorsSSR.jpg

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure how many of you know this, but the Ninja 650R mirrors are identical to the 250R mirrors, except the stem is a little bit longer (not sure how much). I only know this because I was looking into mirror replacements for my 250R awhile ago. I know they vibrate a little bit more than the 250R mirrors, but the extra length would be nice.

Ninja250RandEX650MirrorsSSR.jpg

Well, talking about Ninja's - lady who was cashing me out first gave me mirrors from Ninja 400 which also have longer stems and about $10 dollars cheaper then mirrors from 250.I caught mistake before leaving dealership and got correct 250 mirrors
However I do like short stalks of 250 mirrors the most.

VNP3

Reaction score
Visit site
When you purchase the mirrors do they come with the mounting hardware. Also whats a good price for them?

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
When you purchase the mirrors do they come with the mounting hardware. Also whats a good price for them?

In Canada each mirror is around $72 to $84 (depends on the dealership).
In US I think the cheapest I saw was on parts shark, around $56

You do not need mounting hardware - just take FZ6 mirror out and put Kawa's in using same nuts. If you want - you can also order rubber dumper from Kawa (look up on 250 microfiches) but I decided I do not need it.

fyrebug

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still having trouble believing the shorter 250 mirrors result in a larger view than the stock fz6 mirrors. can someone explain why that would be?
trying to decide between the 650 or 250 mirrors.

everyone on the 250 forums that upgrades to the 650 mirrors talks about how the view is far better on the 650 over the 250 and how the 250 mirrors are crap. why would the smaller 250 mirrors show more road behind and around than a longer stalk?

thanks

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still having trouble believing the shorter 250 mirrors result in a larger view than the stock fz6 mirrors. can someone explain why that would be?

everyone on the 250 forums that upgrades to the 650 mirrors talks about how the view is far better on the 650 over the 250 and how the 250 mirrors are crap. why would the smaller 250 mirrors show more road behind and around than a longer stalk?

thanks

They are not small mirrors by any means. In fact they are bigger then FZ6 mirrors and I think have more wide angle curve. They also sit lower and effect is almost the same as I had with my CRG Arrows bar end mirrors when I did conversion to naked. I do not see my shoulders anymore - that's for sure.
Height and seating position will affect view as well. I have Corbin seat on mine and Rizoma bars. I am ~5'10 if it helps

VNP3

Reaction score
Visit site

thanks

I think im going to head over to the dealership and sit on each one and see whats better. I heard the 250r's were sturdier?

fyrebug

Reaction score
Visit site
They are not small mirrors by any means. In fact they are bigger then FZ6 mirrors and I think have more wide angle curve. They also sit lower and effect is almost the same as I had with my CRG Arrows bar end mirrors when I did conversion to naked. I do not see my shoulders anymore - that's for sure.
Height and seating position will affect view as well. I have Corbin seat on mine and Rizoma bars. I am ~5'10 if it helps

and you can still see behind you? full view? as you're from toronto I'm sure you understand, full field of view is important. I'm riding downtown so it's a bit of dodge ball with taxis, pedestrians, bicycles...

also, off topic, why'd you go back from naked?

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
and you can still see behind you? full view? as you're from toronto I'm sure you understand, full field of view is important. I'm riding downtown so it's a bit of dodge ball with taxis, pedestrians, bicycles...

also, off topic, why'd you go back from naked?

I ride downtown everyday, rain or shine so mirrors are kind of important.
Even though kawi mirrors offer wider view angle - on any vehicle i drive or ride I always put on little blind spot mirrors (usually from crappy tire).
So combined - great results. Depend on where u r downtown - u r welcome to check it out.

As for naked - loved the feeling and being naked bikes kind of guy loved overall looks. Was on the fence about kit quality and then had a chance to ride FZ1 with Euro naked kit and FZ6 which was done using parts from European bikes. So these two rides just confirmed my feelings about naked kit being of really budget quality (i mean u can't expect better for the price). With that in mind and idea to upgrade at the same time I went back to fairing (easier on resell too). Now I did not totally abandoned idea of upgrade in near future and if that happens I will obviously stay faired. If I decide to keep my FZ6 (most likely)- I'll see what can be done for naked conversion.
On the same token -I spent so much money on the mods already and I like semi-nakedness of FZ6 anyway I may just keep it faired.

fyrebug

Reaction score
Visit site
god to hear. I live around the high park area, used to commute to the east end but now I'm downtown for work. the commute is so short I may get a bicycle... :(
usually take king or dundas.
used to take lakeshore for east end.

you sound like you like visibilty as much as I do so if you say they'll work I trust you. my only hang up now is that if I want to go naked the mirrors will be useless. I can't seem to find any adaptor to make the kawi mirrors into handlebar clamped mirrors.

I suspected the fz16 kit was cheap, it's made for a cheap bike, that's one reason I don't want to use that kit, the other is the headlight is too small, it looks wrong on the bike. the belly is too fat.

I'm thinking of doing the newer fz8 headlight, just not sure what's involved to convert it. dunno if the forks are spaced out differently, diameter, etc.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
god to hear. I live around the high park area, used to commute to the east end but now I'm downtown for work. the commute is so short I may get a bicycle... :(
usually take king or dundas.
used to take lakeshore for east end.

you sound like you like visibilty as much as I do so if you say they'll work I trust you. my only hang up now is that if I want to go naked the mirrors will be useless. I can't seem to find any adaptor to make the kawi mirrors into handlebar clamped mirrors.

I suspected the fz16 kit was cheap, it's made for a cheap bike, that's one reason I don't want to use that kit, the other is the headlight is too small, it looks wrong on the bike. the belly is too fat.

I'm thinking of doing the newer fz8 headlight, just not sure what's involved to convert it. dunno if the forks are spaced out differently, diameter, etc.

If I were you I'd still check for myself - everyone's riding is different. I am downtown almost every day, right by CN Tower.
For conversion I think you'll be OK using any light from FZ8, FZ1 - main challenge will be speedo mount. As for mirrors - I bought CRG bar end adaptors (construction is very good and they will fit into almost any bar) and CRG Arrows and I swear best mirrors I had ever and worth every penny. I did not even loose much when I sold them. Did I mention no vibration in CRG on bar ends - ever? I am up for coffee if u want to see the bike, I usually go to SB at John and Wellington. And on Fri I am in Mississauga

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
I went through about 3 tanks of gas with kawa mirrors. Up to about 100 km/h - virtually no vibration. From 100 to 140 (and sometimes above :)) - very little vibration compared to FZ6 stock. I can still clearly see cars behind me and can recognize their shape.
View right behind me: unless you are very skinny and standing still right behind my bike - I can see everything behind very well. What helps with wider field of view is that mirrors are mounted lower and have much bigger view area.

Oh, and the looks - they totally belong on FZ6, angular shape really complements the bike.
Overall - very satisfied. Thanks again OP for the hint.

bluefazer

Reaction score
Visit site
I went through about 3 tanks of gas with kawa mirrors. Up to about 100 km/h - virtually no vibration. From 100 to 140 (and sometimes above :)) - very little vibration compared to FZ6 stock. I can still clearly see cars behind me and can recognize their shape.
View right behind me: unless you are very skinny and standing still right behind my bike - I can see everything behind very well. What helps with wider field of view is that mirrors are mounted lower and have much bigger view area.

Oh, and the looks - they totally belong on FZ6, angular shape really complements the bike.
Overall - very satisfied. Thanks again OP for the hint.

Haha, glad u liked it. Thanks 4 sharing ur opinion on those mirrors. Another mirror that can fix 2 our fz6 without any modification is 2008 kawa ZX6. For those rider who prefer 2 maintain the round shaped mirror can try out these mirrors.