Just recieved from the AMA.

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
This is why I hate politicians. And I have kept stock exhaust on every bike I have ever owned.

"Senate Bil 435 is back!
Senate Bill 435 (motorcycle emissions) has been amended and is now scheduled for a hearing on June 21st. Take Action!

Bill would require stock exhaust on all bikes manufactured after January 1, 1983.

California Senate Bill 435 (Pavley, 23rd District, D) is back. Despite repeated failure to garner support for past versions, Senator Pavley continues to unfairly target motorcycle owners. The latest version of the bill would require only stock exhaust systems on all motorcycles constructed since 1983, and mandates a $300 fine for any owner who is found to be in violation.

Once again riders throughout the state are asked to contact their Senators and let them know that this is simply unacceptable. The newest version of this bill, which previously mandated smog testing, would result in thousands of currently legal motorcycles to be removed from the road, or their owners being forced to spend hundreds (or thousands) of dollars to reinstall OEM exhaust. Also, in the case of older models, many owners would be left in an all but impossible situation, as OEM exhaust systems will simply be no longer available from the manufacturer, therefore rendering the bike both illegal to ride and all but impossible to sell.

Furthermore, the lack of a labeled exhaust system does not mean a motorcycle is out of compliance with the federal law. After-market exhaust systems that comply with RSA 266:59-a are available from a number of manufacturers and often installed by their owners for a number of different reasons:
1) after-market exhaust systems are available when OEM exhaust parts are no longer, especially for older motorcycles;

2) Exhaust systems can rust out or be damaged in a minor accident, requiring replacement

3) after-market exhaust systems cost less than OEM systems, even when they are available; and

4) OEM exhausts systems are not available for custom motorcycles and kit motorcycles constructed by individuals from non-OEM components.

Lastly it is simply unfair to expect a motorcycle owner to display a ‘readily visible’ label if one is not delivered that way from the factory. Many EPA stamps are very difficult to locate on new motorcycles. Is it reasonable to expect a motorcycle owner to partialy dismantle his or her motorcycle on the side of the road to prove the exhaust system is labeled?"

The above section in quotes was copy and paste from AMA email.

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Sounds like Senator Pavley needs to get laid once in a while....

Prob has one noisey bike in his neighborhood that interupts him watching re-runs of Matlock.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel your pain. A bunch of BS if I ever heard any. Personaly we should replace every one of our congress men/women. They have better things to worry about then our exhausts. Lets hope the word gets out and that is turned down by the voters if it gets that far. Hopefully it won't. Good Luck.

sublime0713

Gun nut
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like it's just California for now but I wouldn't be surprised to see this legislation on a national level in the future. :spank:

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
the old saying goes:
As goes California; So goes the nation.

Of course we know this is aimed at the Harley type guys running around with strait pipes that are louder than a 747. Still doesn't make it right.

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know where the EPA label is on an FZ6? On my other bikes I always saw it . It was quite obvious. I've never specifically looked for it, but I've never noticed it either.

sublime0713

Gun nut
Reaction score
Visit site
the old saying goes:
As goes California; So goes the nation.

Of course we know this is aimed at the Harley type guys running around with strait pipes that are louder than a 747. Still doesn't make it right.

Wait, does that mean the rest of us are going to be smoking weed legally soon too? :D

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see this going too far past Cali. There are Cali only models etc.... That only applies to Cali.... Besides, I don't see how they could make it for 1983 and newer. It would have to start from the day it was accepted....

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see this going too far past Cali. There are Cali only models etc.... That only applies to Cali.... Besides, I don't see how they could make it for 1983 and newer. It would have to start from the day it was accepted....

The earlier versions of the bill that required emmisions testing went back to 2000 model year. That was bad enough. Trying to go back nearly 30 years is insane. That said this is California, land of the fruits and nuts.

sublime0713

Gun nut
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually if I'm not mistaken I think something like 14 states have followed suit with the Medical Marijuana thing. I'll ask my oldest son. Unfortunately he is up to date on that stuff.

LOL. Actually I'm aware of the various states with medical marijuana laws, I was referring to the recreational measure that I believe will be on your ballot in November to try to generate some revenue for Cali. I quit smoking years ago, but I know some folks who will be packing up to move west if it passes. :rolleyes:

sublime0713

Gun nut
Reaction score
Visit site
All factory M/C exhaust systems in the US do. Required by the EPA.

Well my stock exhaust is in a box in my garage. I'll take a look at it when I get home. I don't remember seeing any EPA tag.

Update: There's a stamp in the bottom of the muffler on the left hand side: "This muffler meets EPA noise emission...blah blah". Is that what you were looking for?

Last edited: