Just Passing time at work

ry_1104

Marine Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok here is the question:

How cold does it get where you live in the Winter?
Do you ride in the Winter?
What gear would you suggest for the Newbies who are riding in their 1st winter?

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1. - 20
2. No, too f**n cold, salt, sand, snow.
3. shorts/wife beater/flip flops and a backwards cap...

j/k I have nothing useful to add;)

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
  1. Not much colder than 0C or 32F
  2. Definitely - it's the best time. Most of the other riders are off the road. ;)
  3. A balaclava, warm gloves, and warm boots are all essential. The rest you can layer to your personal preference. For example, my legs never seem to get cold so I don't worry too much about insulated trousers or pants but I need to have a warm jacket.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
1) Too f'n cold
2) Not a chance. Black ice sucks in a car...hate to think what it'd be like on a bike.
3) No clue. I don't ride in the winter.

T

TheVmaxrider

1) Gets down to -30C and much colder with the wind chill, essentially too f'n cold.

2) No way, no how!!! Even on a sunny day the salt on the roads plays havoc with aluminum and steel parts. That and a snow squall can come up without warning (actually rode Steph's FZ into a squall on the way to put it in storage a couple of years ago. The cone in the seat told the tale of that ride:eek: )

3) Warm clothes, gloves, and awww heck just stay indoors where it is warm:D

ms mrdr

PB4UGO
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1. anywhere from 0 to 32

2. Hecks NOOOO...I'm a fair weather rider..

3. Long underwear, jeans, sweatshirt, leathers, coveralls.

Reaction score
Visit site
I just moved to Mississippi last Dec from Ohio. When in Ohio I rode whenever the road was not icy, 363 out of 365 year before last. You need good gloves, face protection and LAYERS to ride in the cold. Also use an anti-fog on your glasses and visor. You usually wont need it until you're down the road a bit and REALLY need it because visor/glasses freeze up occurs very quickly! Good Luck, GRUMPY

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
1) It varies greatly in northern VA but our winters have been mild recently
2) I plan to but I'm a newb as well
3) I'm kind of short on cash to buy winter gear so I have been rocking a fleece jacket over my dress shirt under my mesh jacket with the liner in, my overpants with the liner in over dress pants, normal gloves, and my pin lock lense. Been good for mid 40s.

Since jacket is the biggest expense I will probably first fix my hands, then buy a clear pin lock lense, then do my jacket. If it gets to cold before I can buy a cold weather jacket I will just wear my mesh jacket under my ski jacket.

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride pretty much year round. Winters here are up and down weather-wise. The coldest I have ridden so far was 14 F. I have some Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 over-pants that are waterproof and windproof. The legs rarely get cold. I did wear thermal long underwear on the 14 degree day. I have a Tourmaster Sabre jacket with liner. It is waterproof and windproof and does great on all but the coldest of days. I add a fleece jacket under the Tourmaster on the real cold ones. I also have a neck-gator I picked up from the surplus place. The feet and hands are the weak-links. I wear a pair of non-insulated black leather boots when I go to work. Toes do fair until the coldest days. My feet do fine in my Joe Rocket Sonic boots, but I usually don't wear them on the daily commute. I have some Tourmaster winter gloves, but find them too bulky. I typically use my Joe Rocket waterproof gloves for cold weather. They are insulated a little bit and do fair. They aren't too bulky. I use Cat-Crap on the visor and glasses.
If you can keep the wind off your skin, especially the neck and face, it just ain't bad at all.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am a newbie and this is my first winter coming up. I plan on riding through the winter. It gets cold sometimes but I believe if I use common since and be safe I should be okay. I have leather gloves, my jacket and pants are made of a mesh material. I have liners that go in them I plan on using. I just wear my work boots right now until I get the money for some bad arse riding boots.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How cold does it get where you live in the Winter?
Do you ride in the Winter?
What gear would you suggest for the Newbies who are riding in their 1st winter?
1. It gets about +10 at the worst here in the valleys. A lot more balmy than the -28/-85 F windchill we had in North Dakota!
2. As much as possible. Two things limit me: 1, if there's any snow or ice on the roads, or 2, if its below 22 F (my faceshield frosts up at that temp).
3. Warm gloves, longjohns, and Polartec!

B

bluenova

1. Between -3 and 0c
2. I don't go out for long weekend rides, but I do commute to work everyday unless it's snowing, then I take the car.
3. My fingers are the only place that really catches the cold, I wear warm winter gloves, and a thin pair of cotton gloves under them. For my head I wear a Buff.

PhillyMatt

Reaction score
Visit site
1. between 15 and 30 most of the time, cold isn't the problem salt sand and Ice is. and right now leaves.

2. Commute only when there isn't much sand, salt or snow/ice out. I work with 2 guys that will ride there big motor guzzie/bmw in even if it is snowing.

3. Thick gloves forget the name, sweater under the jaket and wind pants with jeans. and somthing to cover the neck. I am getting Comfort In Action Wind Tube for my neck. and a nice hot cup of coffe/hot chocolate when i get into work

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
1. It gets about +10 at the worst here in the valleys. A lot more balmy than the -28/-85 F windchill we had in North Dakota!
2. As much as possible. Two things limit me: 1, if there's any snow or ice on the roads, or 2, if its below 22 F (my faceshield frosts up at that temp).
3. Warm gloves, longjohns, and Polartec!

Good to know. Coming up on my first winter out here. Been riding almost every day so far, except when it snowed. I plan on riding as much as possible, at least until the road conditions prohibit me anyway.

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1. The coldest is probably -20. But it doesn't last a long time. Most of the winter is around 20 - but it varies greatly with the wind chill.

2. This is my first winter with a bike, so I am not sure how much winter riding I will do - and will only ride on clear roads. Don't want to risk hurting my baby with a fall.

3. Warm boots, Fieldsheer Four Season pants with the liners in and long johns, turtle neck and a turtle fur neck warmer, 3 liners in Cortech jacket, winter gloves and a polartec sweatshirt.

I am hoping for a warmer than normal winter!

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
1) Today it was around the upper 90s F. It's suppose to be fall. Temps get down to the low 40s during the cold winter nights.

2) I ride all year long until it snows in Southern California. Weather here is great for riding.

3) Good full face helmet with chin guard, or scarf or balaclava (spelling?). Thick jacket with a waterproof liner. Water proof pants/overpants. Winter gloves with thermal liners or grip warmers. Ankle high boots without venting. Don't forget the chapstick.