Just bought an 06 FZ6, Think I made a big mistake!

rger8

Reaction score
Visit site
New here, and I am bumming!!!

I just bought an immaculate 06 FZ6 with Puig windshield, Frame sliders and Leo Vince exhaust, had 3300 miles on it. I may have paid a bit much, $3900 but it doesn't have a scratch on it. ( Red One ) By saying I made a mistake I mean I had no clue what a rocket this thing is!!! I should have rode it a bit more, I don't know what the heck I was thinkin:eek: I screwed up!

Coming from the GS 500 world, for some reason I thought the engine might feel the same just more power. NOT even close!!!!. It is way different. Not sure what to do. I feel like putting it up for sale.

I hopped back on my GS and really liked it's behavior compared to the FZ6. Am I over-reacting? Any suggestions?

Help!!

PVFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
You will want more power soon enough. Just keep the rpm's in the bottom half of the tach for a while. :thumbup:

bryanwny

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is my first bike. I bought it last May and have put 10,500+ miles on it so far and I LOVE it. Just go easy for a while, and I think you'll get comfortable with it soon enough. You don't HAVE to twist your wrist any more than you want to :D

ScoobieDee

Reaction score
Visit site
Keep it under 8000 RPM and it should be pretty tame. I went from a ninja 250R to a new FZ6. I was keeping it under 6k rpm for break in and was surprised how easy it is to ride if you keep the engine speed down. Take it easy, once you get a feel for it you won't be bumming!

armstrong89z

Reaction score
Visit site
Nah i wouldn't get rid of it yet, give it some more time. I had to break mine in so I got used to the stay below 7k and there is no reason for going over 8500. Unless you want to have some fun :BLAA:

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
first, :welcome:

now, the fz6 can be a lot to handle. and it is more than a gs500. as kenny said, if you've done enough on the gs500 you will pick up on the fz6 shortly. the beauty of the fz6 is it's two bikes (or more) in one. if you stay in the 5k-7k range it's a very manageable bike. once you hit 8k it starts to become a totally different animal. stay in that 5k-7k range and you'll be fine. if you took the MSF BRC remember what they taught about wrist position. keep it bent/low so if you hit a bump you don't accidentally give it more throttle.

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ was my first bike too. I'm not saying I ever pushed that thing to its limits before a blind cager took it away from me but I thought the power was very manageable. If I were you I'd ride it for a week or two, put a few thousand miles on it and see how you feel. Just take it slow and don't ride over your head. I bet you'll love this awesome bike and you'll sell your gs in a heartbeat.

Btw :welcome:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Your just out of your comfort zone due to the extra power imo. I remember when i jumped from my ttr-125 (trail bike) onto a kx-125 (2-stroke mx bike) i had a crisis, i just wanted to ride my little 4 stroke trail bike around, but once i got used to the 2-stroke powerband (man that thing could haul) i absolutely loved it...

Give the FZ a chance, ride it around for some time and get used to it, and if you still don't like it sell it....my bet would be placed on you end up keeping/loving it though :thumbup:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
The throttle works both ways, just take it easy. Put a 1,000 miles on the 6 and then decide if you want to sell it.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I came to my FZ6 from a TW200(yes, I still have the little thumper). At first it seemed absurdly fast(I mean c'mon, a T-dub has all of 15hp, so BIG jump there), and that was giving it maybe 40% throttle, and shifting at no more than 6K! Now? Pffft. Full throttle and shifting at 10-11K feels kind of fast. :rolleyes: Give it some time, take it easy on the throttle, and you'll be used to it in no time. There's no rush, and nothing that states you MUST give it tons of throttle right away. Like any machine with an engine, it'll only go as fast as you instruct it to. I think you're just going through what dxh24 went through. You're just used to and attached to your GS. You'll get over it, and maybe even love both bikes. Now get out there and ride the dang thing! :thumbup:

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 to it being my first bike also, i trained and passed my tests on a CB500 before getting it.

10 months later and I'd like to try something faster, though it's a great all-purpose bike :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 to it being my first bike also, i trained and passed my tests on a CB500 before getting it.

10 months later and I'd like to try something faster, though it's a great all-purpose bike :D

That would about sum it up i reckon! You will be fine! You will be asking how to get the front wheel up soon! ;)

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a mate who rides a GS, his first and only bike. When he first rode mine, the first few times he didn't much like it - sharp on/off throttle, twitchy clutch and throttle, shorter feeling rake... After riding my bike a half dozen times, he ALWAYS asks me to trade after riding the GS. No, it isn't as tolerant, or as easy to ride. But it is more of a bike when you get used to it's quirks. More power, longer gears, more torque at idle and a 'sweeter looking ride'.

rger8

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, thanks everyone for the optimistic words! I guess I'm overreacting and your probably right, I need to give it a chance. Horsepower was never the issue. I just wanted something more upright. It kinda remminds me of one of my Enduro bikes but with a racing engine in it!

Well now that I own it and have to pay the expensive Ca. registration fees I might as well hang in there for awhile. This is a great forum, I really appreciate the feedback. I'll give an update in a few weeks and see how things have changed.:thumbup:

Thanks again, Rger8

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
With all it's up grades I wander if it has the smaller sprocket on the front which would make it a little harder for a now rider to get use to.:rolleyes:
More wheel y pron and abrupt at starts:eek:

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, thanks everyone for the optimistic words! I guess I'm overreacting and your probably right, I need to give it a chance. Horsepower was never the issue. I just wanted something more upright. It kinda remminds me of one of my Enduro bikes but with a racing engine in it!

Well now that I own it and have to pay the expensive Ca. registration fees I might as well hang in there for awhile. This is a great forum, I really appreciate the feedback. I'll give an update in a few weeks and see how things have changed.:thumbup:

Thanks again, Rger8

If it was just riding position, you could have added up and back risers on the GS. My wife has the GS500 and we added sw-motech risers. No change in stock bar or cables. Makes a world of difference in comfort, and my wife struggles with painful wrists and elbows.

That said, enjoy the FZ. It can be whatever bike you want it to be.

Joe

MilkMan

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got my 04 FZ back in March with 2500 mi on it. I had not been on a street bike since my accident in 2001. Let me tell u that it just takes some getting use too. I had read that at about 7500rpm the joker really comes alive, believe me I should have gotten a lil more comfortable on it before I tested that theory.:rockon: To say the least I have had nothing but good times since then!