Just Another N00b Q...

JMinNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

Just a brief history...

Late 30's
First rode a small scooter about 6 years ago.
Then bought a 250cc Honda Reflex scooter.
Had that for about 3 months before taking the MSF.
Got the shifting bug and went out and bought an '05 BMW f650gs.
Sold that about 3 years ago.
Bought a 400cc 09 Majesty in Jan 09, convincing [lying to myself?] that I didn't want to shift in NYC tra:eek::eek:ffic all the time.

I've just about given in to the urge of getting another "real" motorcycle, and I was set on getting an 09 FZ6.

Obviously this would be the biggest bike, power wise, that I've ever bought.
My daily commute on the bike would be about 7 miles (I've ridden year round on both scoots and the beemer) and it's all city driving.

I'd love to hear from anyone who went from a single cylinder thumper to an FZ6 if there are any out there, even more so if they drive in heavy traffic a lot.

I estimate that I have about 15k mi experience on 2 wheels (1/2 & 1/2 scoot & beemer), so it's not a matter of feeling comfy riding that I'm coming to the forum. Rather, it's that I'm just wondering how much of a learning curve I can expect having ridden for 2 years in nyc with the f650 to now getting the fz6.

I've read a ton of reviews, and a whole bunch of threads, so many of they endorse the fz6 as a great all around ride. I love the upright seating position, I have no need for a bigger bike, and the price point/specs/looks can't be beat from what I've seen.

Why AM I writing on the forum? [and being so long winded in the process]

I guess I'm just reacting to a few of the posts that seem to go out of the way to scare people off the fz6. I realize that they're directed to "first time riders" and that's not the category that I fall into. I also realize that this would be my first sport bike. I've had two accidents (both of which I own, for being my fault completely) so it's not a matter respect for the bike.

Oh hell, maybe I'm just looking for someone to tell me that it's all going to be okay, just buy it and take my time getting used to a new bike.

:eek:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
You'll be just fine.:thumbup:
It wasn't without some trepidation that I swung my leg over my (then) new FZ6 in 2007 to ride away from the Dealership. Apart from a few short rides on a dual-sport, I hadn't ridden a road bike on the road in 25 years. :eek:
One of the FZ6's advantages for new riders is the "weakness" widely reported by the Motorcycle press...its rather quiet performance under 5000 rpm. This means that if you keep the rpm's down and use modest throttle openings while getting used to the bigger bike, it's a real pussycat to ride.
It's what starts to happen over 5000 rpm that's the fun part.:D
Don't give it a second thought....get your FZ6; you won't regret your decision.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well.. its a great bike.. most agree that its built pretty solid and there are a lot of mods that can be done to suit your riding style.. i just dunno about riding it in the winter.. other than that, i would have no problems recomending the fz6 to a seasoned rider.. i came from nothing and my fz6 was the first... i tend not to be rev happy, but when i want it, its more than enough for what i need... :thumbup:

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
With your experience, you'll be just fine on the fz..

I personally never rode a f650, but i had a gs500 for a year (first bike) before buying my fz.. yes the fz has definitely more power, but it's not going to wheelie at you unless you want it to.. it's nice and tame until it hits the 8k rpm mark, and then it just keeps on going :) but since you've had bikes / scooters before, you know how to watch that right wrist and not get carried away at the wrong time..

Besides power, the upright seating position is a huge plus in NYC traffic as you can actually see a little up the road.. the stock suspension is decent too (depending on your weight), and there's enough travel to only bottom out on the very worst potholes..
I have to say I really like this bike.. had it for 2 years now, and while I do lust after a street triple r every once in a while, this bike really does everything in ask it to..

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I went from a 50 cc scooter to a Piaggio X9 scooter to the FZ6. Aside from learning to shift, I had no problem getting used to it. It's not a very heavy bike, and at 94 hp has good power but not crazy power. The more upright seating position is perfect for transitioning from a scoot, adventure or touring bike. If it feels comfortable to sit on, you should have NO trouble. The shift from 1st to 2nd makes a trademark clunk which you have to get used to, but otherwise she's a smooth machine. It's a versatile bike which can rip up some tasty twisties or load up for light touring just as well. It's geared for around town and has modified tuning over the R6 for better mid-range power, which is to me more intelligent for a street machine than a high RPM power band. Some find the seat a bit woody for long distance - but again for a commuter no problem.

Go for it!

:welcome: from :canada:

JMinNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I'm really looking forward to getting back on a regular bike. Sure, nyc traffic is a pain at times, but hopefully I'll get out on the open road more with the new ride.

I can't ever imagine *wanting* to pop wheelies, so I'm glad to see that it's not too twitchy where I should have to worry about that if I take it easy. I was never one to push the beemer, so that's won't be an issue on the new bike. I mean heck, people ask me how fast the majesty can go and its the same answer as it would be for any bike I have "a lot faster than I'm ever going to go on it."

Though out on I-95 or the Long Island Expressway @70-80 mph, I'm sure the FZ6's 17" wheels are going to feel more secure than the Maj's 14's!

Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum!
You're going to love this bike! You'll be surprised at how versatile this bike is. Yes you must respect it's power compared to what you've been riding but you'll be fine. Take it easy and make friends with it and you'll find it's one of the best bikes on the planet! :rockon:

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
From one NYer to another I jumped back on this real bike after 6 months on a 168cc Scoot...

Ive been commuting from Queens to Manhattan (UES, UWS, LES) for about 2 years on my FZ6... The only problem Ive had was battery life which was remedied by doing away with my accessories...

You wont spend a lot of time above 2nd gear, but its been a great way to start a work day

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is an easy to ride bike. I was commuting 30 miles round trip every day in thick traffic, on a TW200. Most of that is expressway riding too. The TW was my first and only motorcycle. I then rode my father's '09 FZ6, and fell in love. lol I'd been wanting something with more guts, and a larger gas tank, but still gets decent gas mileage for commuting. The FZ fit the bill. I was a little nervous getting on a 600(I was coming off a bike that had all of 15hp of modded fury after all lol), but after a few blocks of riding I had no reservations. Granted, I was slow as heck for the first two weeks, but I got more and more used to it, and was up to speed in short order. I still need work on the corners, but that's a given, as I was just getting good on the TW when I switched. And yes, I still have the ol' mule, right next to the FZ. You'll be happy with an FZ. It's got more than enough power for any city environment, and still gets good gas mileage. I don't see myself ever getting rid of my '06 FZ. Even if you get on it a little too hard at first, it's not enough to toss you off before you know what's going on. I say go for it!

PS - Get another thumper too, because, well, you know. Everybody has to have at least one thumper in their stable. :D They're just too much fun for toolin' around and exploring.

Last edited:

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:
I am in Brooklyn too and ride to the city almost every day and NJ or upstate almost every weekend on a group ride.
To answer your question, the FZ6 is great foa any kind of riding in the city and out.
As you mentioned, peopple allways asked how fast can I go and my answer is kind of the same, you are not going to use all of what the bike has unless you are on the track.
Having larger wheels will make your ride better, the suspention is good enough for Flatbush Avenue potholes and I guess I don't have to tell you how good looking the machine is.
The only thing coming from an automatic scooter is your left hand, if you catch and accident on the BQE your hand will be sore for sure.

I serviced mine on Prospect cycles like 3 weeks ago and they had a cero mile blue one going for like $6,500.00

ride safe and I'll see you around.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd love to hear from anyone who went from a single cylinder thumper to an FZ6 if there are any out there, even more so if they drive in heavy traffic a lot.

I estimate that I have about 15k mi experience on 2 wheels (1/2 & 1/2 scoot & beemer), so it's not a matter of feeling comfy riding that I'm coming to the forum. Rather, it's that I'm just wondering how much of a learning curve I can expect having ridden for 2 years in nyc with the f650 to now getting the fz6.

I actually came off an F650CS to the FZ6 with around the same mileage you have under your belt:

1. You should have no problems whatsoever, below 7k the FZ6 feels about the same as the 650 power/torque-wise so during the break-in period you'll feel right at home.
2. You are going to crap your pants with joy...seriously....the FZ6 annihilates the 650 in just about every category - ease and frequency of maintenance, smoothness (you won't feel like your riding on a paint-shaker with a can full of rocks for a tranny anymore..), handling, comfort (IMO), braking (night and day) and of course the power....it corrupts...

Once you get used to the clutch on the FZ, I think you'll find it better in traffic. I feel like the clutch was better on the 650 (pull was lighter and had a wider engagement zone) but it was sooo much hotter and uncomfortable in traffic than the FZ is.

The only thing I miss about my 650 is the gas mileage and the ABS - not because I liked it, but because I developed terrible rear braking techniques from it that I can't seem to shake even 2 years later...in emergency situations I sometimes will subconsciously stomp on the rear brake and lock it up...

Anyhow, hopefully this helps, I honestly can't think of any reason that anyone wouldn't be happier with the FZ6 than the F650, but who knows....some people really chug that BMW kool-aid :D

JMinNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
Wheeeeeee!!! :cheer:

I did it. Traded in the Maj for a bright and shiny, black, new '09. After driving to work then home tonight, she's got a whopping 13 miles on her. If it weren't for coming home to take care of the dogs, I'd still be out riding.

I plan on taking some "scenic" routes to and from work the next couple days, get used to this clutch/brakes, and then go out for a nice saturday morning ride.

Merging onto the FDR Drive this morning, getting onto the Manhattan Bridge this evening...wow, that's some power getting up to speed in a blink!

Me-thinks-eth I made a good choice!

:D

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
I am a single cylinder convert. haha My first was a Buell Blast, Single Cylinder 492cc 34HP 40nm. Basicly any other motorcycle would be a jump in power for me but the FZ6 was a safe jump and a much smarter bike for the freeway.

With my old Blast (which I still love) I could hit the throttle as hard as I wanted and never have to worry about popping a wheely, but that is not the with almost any other bike out there (500cc and above). just be aware of the throttle difference.