Jumpy Throttle

xnay

Reaction score
Visit site
I've spent hours reading through this forum and I think that the advice and info hear is awesome. :rockon:

I've had my FZ6 for about 4 months now and was wondering if my throttle situation is normal. I took most of the slack out of it, so it only has a few millimeters (recommended amount) of slack. However, when I left of of the throttle fully and then hit it again, it feels jumpy. I'm not jamming on it hard, just giving it a twist. I know the bike has lots of juice, so a surge of power is to be expected but this feels more like a jolt. It's a little disconcerting if I left of the throttle before a curve/corner, then hit it to speed up in the turn but it's not smooth.

Any thoughts/similar experiences?

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site
Try to be as smooth as possible when opening the throttle and see if there is still a jolt. Start from a stop and open it as slowly as you can. This could also work while moving, but it may be harder to detect whether there is a jolt or not.

You probably don't have any sort of mechanical problem, but it's worth it to find out for sure. The throttle is pretty abrupt even if you're careful. Just give it a shot and see if you can make it go away with very careful throttle control.

My old bike was nowhere near as abrupt with the throttle and getting used to the FZ6 took a few rides. Now I concentrate on being smooth with the throttle all the time.

Reaction score
Visit site
That's about the only thing that I DON'T like about the 6.

Ditto. A Power Commander may help this but I've gotten mixed reports on it's effectiveness.

The only way I have found to partially circumvent this is to trail brake a little into the corner and start rolling on the throttle a little before you get completely off the brake.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Try practicing rolling on and off the throttle. Sometimes changing your had postion will help - the way that was described to me recently was to bend your elbows and point them out a little and hold the throttle like you would a screwdriver. It does take practice but eventually you will get it.

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
I've learned to get around it for the most part, but there are times when it catches me by surprise. There have been a few times that I was glad I was holding on with 2 hands. :eek:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
A proper tune with a power commander, proper throttle body sync, and properly lubed throttle cable make ALL the difference.

I can tell even the most subtle throttle differences on different power commander maps, and a custom tune produces the best results.

My throttle response, feel, and power delivery is amazing. All because of proper tuning.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
go ride a carbureted bike like a late 80's early 90's "supersport" style....if you want to feel a true jumpy throttle :eek:

I find the throttle to be very smooth on my '08 FZ6, perhaps you need to check the TPS or maybe the TB's need synched? How many miles on the bike?

It could also just be a technique thing, you really should have the throttle at least "cracked" at all times in the turn (ie don't roll completely off)...you could try a slower corner entry speed to allow yourself time to to "roll-on" as you make the turn, or maybe a different gear selection.

iRoNyX

Reaction score
Visit site
I find to avoid this effectively, I feather the clutch a little... Takes some of the immediate power off of the throttle and then you just roll on as you let the clutch out... Smoothes it out quite a bit.

-Dave

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
I was new to this kind of bike and I think it's a combination of a new clutch and gearbox and getting used to using both of them. After 300 miles mine kinda loosened a little. Now with 540 miles it's a "little" better still. She's tight when she's new!! LOL. Just like... oh well, nevermind.

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if it's all FZ6's but mine has a pretty touchy throttle full closed to just past closed throttle. Rolling from no throttle to part throttle entering a turn is where I notice it the most, so here are things that helped me out:

1. Chain adjusted and lubed. It always amazes me how much a chain effects every part of the bike's function.

2. Adjusted throttle tube to set the play to factory or even a little less slack.

3. Adjusted clutch lever to owner manuals specs.

4. Purposely over grip the throttle. This one helps when I'm canyon riding because it prevents me from putting my throttle in the choppy right off closed area. I have a really bad instinct reaction to close the throttle when I go into a corner too hot for my comfort, and this has helped get away from that as well. I'm getting better at weighting my back tire and trusting my lean more than chopping the throttle.

5. Using a little rear break to modulate my speed rather than closing the throttle and putting me in the "twitchy throttle" zone. Again, it also helps prevent my chop the throttle reaction and I have a pretty good feel for my rear break from dirt riding.

I've got it to the point that I'm aware that right off throttle I have a jump, so I try to stay away from that spot unless I need to stop in which case I'm going to go through it twice; once while slowing and again when accelerationg from the stop. As long as I'm aware of it I can remember to be smooth through that part.

Other than right off throttle my bike is smooth as can be. The fuel map just hates that one spot, so maybe a power commander is in my future. :thumbup:

Last edited:

promega

Reaction score
Visit site
I find to avoid this effectively, I feather the clutch a little... Takes some of the immediate power off of the throttle and then you just roll on as you let the clutch out... Smoothes it out quite a bit.

-Dave

thats what i do. also dont use the clutch with shifting past 2nd.