It's time, 77k valve adjusments

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well the time has come what the forum has been waiting for: My valve adjustment.

Actually, my bike seized again just 600 miles or three weeks after my bike was repaired for the same reason, crankshaft position sensor failure. I told the shop that this will be the 4th sensor, and there must be a reason why it's failing. I have convinced them to order me just about everything, new cam chain, guides, cam chain sprockets, and while they have everything apart, I told them to do the valves.

My bike may be worth 2k, I hate to imagine what this is going to cost me. They said that they will work with me on the charges, some of the work should fall under warranty. My last repair cost me $165 with parts. The cost of the parts alone this time around is over $300.

In the meantime, my $80 rountrip cab fares to and from work is coming to an end. I am buying a 2000 Yamaha 225 Enduro tonight. It will be my backup and winter bike when it snows. An Enduro should work in the snow huh?

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am buying a 2000 Yamaha 225 Enduro tonight. It will be my backup and winter bike when it snows. An Enduro should work in the snow huh?

i ride my dirtbike in the snow and its still pretty slippery once all thoses groves in the tire fill with snow/ice! better put on some spikes!!:eek:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good for you Kenny. You have to admit you gotten incredible service from that machine with minimal cost. What a great machine!

I wanna second bike. Maybe a Big Ruckus if I can find one! :D

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry you are still having problems, Kenny.

I checked mine for the third time about 2 weeks ago, at 75000 miles. All 16 valves were exactly at spec, chain was tensioned correctly and spark plugs were perfect.

Just lucky, I guess.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
I've replaced the head on mine, as a whole unit though. All the bits on both heads all within spec, even the 100k km one ;-)

Nice you can just say replace everything, not really necessary but will give you peace of mind, ie priceless.

Good luck

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well the time has come what the forum has been waiting for: My valve adjustment.

Actually, my bike seized again just 600 miles or three weeks after my bike was repaired for the same reason, crankshaft position sensor failure. I told the shop that this will be the 4th sensor, and there must be a reason why it's failing. I have convinced them to order me just about everything, new cam chain, guides, cam chain sprockets, and while they have everything apart, I told them to do the valves.

My bike may be worth 2k, I hate to imagine what this is going to cost me. They said that they will work with me on the charges, some of the work should fall under warranty. My last repair cost me $165 with parts. The cost of the parts alone this time around is over $300.

In the meantime, my $80 rountrip cab fares to and from work is coming to an end. I am buying a 2000 Yamaha 225 Enduro tonight. It will be my backup and winter bike when it snows. An Enduro should work in the snow huh?
Why is the bike seizing? it's not like you to be irrational, but it seems your just throwing money at the problem without knowing what the issue is.
I would hate to think that my FZ6 will only do 77,000 miles. I love the enduro idea and plan on getting a winter bike myself. I am even considering trading the FZ6 to do this.

Nelly

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Why is the bike seizing? it's not like you to be irrational, but it seems your just throwing money at the problem without knowing what the issue is.
I would hate to think that my FZ6 will only do 77,000 miles. I love the enduro idea and plan on getting a winter bike myself. I am even considering trading the FZ6 to do this.

Nelly

That's what I have been asking. All I know that I am chewing up my crankshaft position sensor. The Cam Chain must be stretched, bad Cam Chain sprockets, worn out guides?

In the meantime, I'm having fun on the little endurao. It's been raining like cats and dogs, how fitting. Having a blast, hope I don't do anything stupid. I wish the thing had more power though, it's kind of small.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
That's what I have been asking. All I know that I am chewing up my crankshaft position sensor. The Cam Chain must be stretched, bad Cam Chain sprockets, worn out guides?

In the meantime, I'm having fun on the little endurao. It's been raining like cats and dogs, how fitting. Having a blast, hope I don't do anything stupid. I wish the thing had more power though, it's kind of small.

Time for a XR650L kenny!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
At 77k miles. I had the dealership install and replace my Cam Chain, Guides, Cam Chain Sprockets, Sensor and four spark plugs. And had them perform a valve adjustment after 77k miles.

Here are the results. This is what was provided in the exact order as it was written on the worksheet. I guess the first row is intake.

Intake: (.152 / .178) (.152 / .178) (.152 / .152) ( .178 / .178)

(.389 / .279) (.279 / .254) (.457 / .254) (.220 / .381)

Total cost labor and parts: $727.00

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
Just so I'm clear -- the intakes should be 0.13-0.20, and the exhausts should be 0.23-0.30?

So your intakes are all fine, and your exhausts are OK except 2, which are loose?

Did the dealership adjust the 2 out-of-spec ones, or leave them be?

Edit: just saw one of your exhausts was a wee bit tight. I would assume they fixed that...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just so I'm clear -- the intakes should be 0.13-0.20, and the exhausts should be 0.23-0.30?

So your intakes are all fine, and your exhausts are OK except 2, which are loose?

Did the dealership adjust the 2 out-of-spec ones, or leave them be?

Edit: just saw one of your exhausts was a wee bit tight. I would assume they fixed that...

From the paperwork that I received; the In Specs indicated is between .13-.20. The Exaust Spec is .23-.30.

If my valves were off, they adjusted them.

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
As a long time lurker, I love the fact that you have stubbornly refused four wheel transportation, but everyone on this forum wants you to be around for a long time and riding in the snow with traffic in Reno on an enduro, may not be the most advantageous to this quest.

May I therefore suggest a Ural sidecar: Ural | Russian Sidecar Motorcycles

Three wheels are still not four, plus they have the benefit of another dual wheel drive.