It really is a dirt bike

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
There have been a number of threads regarding the dirt-ability of the Fizzer. I now know that it is more than capable.
Picture007.jpg

Granted, the Connie (C10) in the pic was also adept at this burly dirt pass, but that Fazer was much tighter and more nimble. I'm not going to say our bike was made for it, but it sure handled it fine. Yes, I now have an unidentified rattle in the fairing but it was worth it for the view....
Picture006.jpg

These were taken this past weekend on a fantastic ride in the VA Blue Ridge Mountains. I'm friends with a few COG'ers and this was their "Brrr Ride." Honestly it wasn't so much "Brrrr." The weather was primo. I'll TRY to post up a proper ride report soon.

I've had mine in the dirt several times. So long as it's not the sandy loose stuff, it handled just fine. I'd love to get another set of wheels and put some moto/off-road tires on it. The only trouble is the limited amount of travel in the suspension, thus limiting where you can really take it.

Another thought.... Using another set of wheels and your mostly worn set of tires recently replaced... take those scuffs and stud the hell out of them and get the bike out on the ice!

Another thought.... Using another set of wheels and your mostly worn set of tires recently replaced... take those scuffs and stud the hell out of them and get the bike out on the ice!

You sir, are insane. The good kind though! :rockon:

I'm seriously considering studding the aging rubber on my dual sport this winter. The only days I don't ride is when there is ice on the road...

Problem solved!!

Google for the vmax on ice.... THAT guy is truly insane!

Oh hell.... here it is!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZq18irDRcc"]YouTube - Vmax on ice[/ame]

That was freaking great! The one high speed pass was flying, he had is nicely sideways a few times too. Very cool! :thumbup:

As the people I ride with normally veer more and more toward "adventure" bikes (a couple of GS's, a Multistrada, etc) the frequency of rides that include some portion of a dirt road is on the rise. I haven't had any issues aside from it not feeling all that great. I have started wondering what a set of Pirelli Scorpions would be like on the FZ - they're OEM on the Multi and based on riding my friend's they'd have loads of sport capability for my riding. Guess it comes down to whether the FZ feels loose primarily b/c of the tires or suspension.

Heck Teeter, that looks just like my driveway..... Around here we call those the "good roads", you should see some of the back roads. Coming over from Dual Sports to street rides I can say that for me personally, she ain't made for dirt. Strip her down quite a bit, mod the suspension and re-tread the old girl and maybe, just maybe there might be something there.
Nice pics by the way....Looks like a nice ride.

David

That looks like the lake I grew up on in Minnesota. Watching that provided the best belly laugh of the day. Thank you for the entertainment. :thumbup:

Be well and enjoy the day,
Mike

I've had mine in the dirt several times. So long as it's not the sandy loose stuff, it handled just fine. I'd love to get another set of wheels and put some moto/off-road tires on it. The only trouble is the limited amount of travel in the suspension, thus limiting where you can really take it.

I agree with this as well.
Gritty, stoney tracks are not a problem but once I got into sand which covered the bottom of the tyres I was struggling.
That said I recently watched a guy going around the world on either a R1 or R6 and he did deserts and everything.
This bike will go anywhere as long as you have the ability to take it there.

Looking forward to seeing more pics.

Steve

As the people I ride with normally veer more and more toward \"adventure\" bikes (a couple of GS's, a Multistrada, etc) the frequency of rides that include some portion of a dirt road is on the rise. I haven't had any issues aside from it not feeling all that great. I have started wondering what a set of Pirelli Scorpions would be like on the FZ - they're OEM on the Multi and based on riding my friend's they'd have loads of sport capability for my riding. Guess it comes down to whether the FZ feels loose primarily b/c of the tires or suspension.

The exhaust pipes are vulnerable to being hit by rocks, either smaller ones being kicked up or larger bump in the road type.

I just can't see myself riding my FZ6 on the dirt. There are too many things that can break. That's why I have a Honda CRF250X dirt bike. Now that's fun. I don't have to worry about not enough suspension or anything breaking. Parts are too expensive these days. If you want to go off road do it the right way and get a dirt bike. It's a ton of fun.

I just went "adventure riding" this weekend in 100 miles of back roads in Santa Barbara...yes, you'll probably see one of these pics submitted for BOTM. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

My "mystery passenger" as Wolfman calls his...LOL

attachment.php

attachment.php

Please tell me she didn't ride in those UGG or EMU boots... PLEASE TELL ME SHE DIDN'T!

I'm sorry, I just am on campus every day and see just about every girl wearing those and they make me angry. I won't go into detal. Those boots just make me very angry. :spank: :ban:

Last edited:
My "mystery passenger" as Wolfman calls his...LOL

attachment.php

You need to get your "mystery passenger" some real riding boots. Hell, you should get her some not fugly boots (I hate Uggs...I think they're dumb, but whatever). Anyway, real riding boots...or at least hiking boots or something better than what "she" has (since they're a mystery passenger, for all we know they're a guy wearing a ponytail wig or something).

Please tell me she didn't ride in those UGG or EMU boots... PLEASE TELL ME SHE DIDN'T!

I'm sorry, I just am on campus every day and see just about every girl wearing those and they make me angry. I won't go into detal. Those boots just make me very angry. :spank: :ban:

LOL. At least I'm not the only one (see my post right after yours).

Back