Issue reattaching clutch cable after lever install

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, ^^^

Also, for the adjuster to be about half ways out, it's about 3 full turns. At that setting, it IS TAUGHT when removing the outer cable from the lever.

What I do is turn the adjuster all the way in, pull IN the clutch lever, then release pulling the outside sheath. It'll clear much easier..

To re-install, basically the same BUT put the out side sheath up against the round part of the adjuster and pull the clutch lever.
That'll give you a little more cable to easily slip back into the perch..

Lastly, a little bit of grease inside the lever, where the cable barrel goes helps the plastic barrel from wearing / tearing.

How often do you lube your clutch cable and any other cables I should be lubing?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How often do you lube your clutch cable and any other cables I should be lubing?

I lube it when it starts to feeling stiffer / or I'm bored and doing basic maintenance on the bike.

You can also lube the throttle cables, but they don't take 1/10 as much stress as the clutch cable.
If I do the throttle cables once a year is a lot. Probably every two years.

A little tricky re-installing the throttle cables (only at the top) so pay attention what goes where..

The bike is for pleasure / errands (not ridden in the rain/nasty weather on purpose), so it's not like their getting crap in there from rain water, etc..

The chain is the most serviced item on the bike. The manual calls for every 500 miles or if ridden in rain. I probably do mine every 200 miles and a quick clutch cable lube every other chain lube..

You can definitely feel the change with a clean chain and clutch cable...

If you have an air compressor, I also blow brake dust out from the calipers/brake pads fairly often. That dust can attack SS brake line fittings (and look like crap)