is this to high of a milage to buy?

aubinator

Reaction score
Visit site
found a really good nic fz6 its 2005 model with 125 000ks on it about 78 000miles, seems to run good. its cheap $2500. do you think it will its a bad idea to buy it???????

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's A LOT of kms.

Personally, I wouldn't look at a bike with km's that high BUT that is cheap...... (for Australia anyway)

I'd offer $1500 or $2000 max. Then I think it'll be a good buy. You'd need to spend a bit of money at first - new oil, filters etc. Possibly tyres, sprockets, brakes, but at $2000 it would be worth it. The 2005 were recalled - need to ensure it's had the TPS fixed (throttle position sensor)

There are MANY members here with bikes with high km's or miles. Just make sure the bikes been looked after.

BTW, :welcome: to another fellow Aussie member :D

Last edited:

aubinator

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the reply, he wants $3000 for it $2500 is the lowest he wants to go. it has a full service history, havnt looked at chain sprockets. tires are good has rego and safety cert.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
At 125,000km a V-strom engine is only about half used up... In general mileage has less to do with the bike's overall "used-up" equation then the maintenance it receives (has received) throughout it's life... In other words... If that FZ6 has had proper maintenance then 125,000 is no big deal... On the other hand poor maintenance would be another story... Judge for yourself...

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, just ensure the TPS has been done. If not, you MAY still be able to get a Yamaha Stealership to fix it for you.

FZ6 in Perth recently, 2006 with 13000kms - $7500 - dealer :eek:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't speak for the Australian market and price, but as for the miles and longevity, as others have said maintenance is key!!! If the bike has been properly maintained and your sure of it, I'd say go for it!!! As long as you take care of it I would think you should have no problem getting another 78k out of it, and for the price I say it's worth a chance.

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
No, it is not. I rode with a fella on a 96 yzf that had 113000 miles on it. No issues other than the road grime.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
It's great to see how reliable new Yamaha engines are! As I close in on the 20,000 mile mark on my 2006 I can feel that "she's just getting started!" :thumbup:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
It's great to see how reliable new Yamaha engines are! As I close in on the 20,000 mile mark on my 2006 I can feel that "she's just getting started!" :thumbup:

i just hit 20,000 on my 2005 on Sunday :thumbup:

Yamaha's and Honda's are known for their reliability! If you look at the COMPLETE service history that they have then buy it!!! I personally wouldn't go as high as 2500, but us 'mericans dont know much bout them down under places. (no insults intended just HA HAs) :D

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
I suppose in order to get a bike to run for that many miles, the owner must be taking care of it. Was he/she the only owner?

I would think it'd be worse to buy a low-mileage bike from somebody who's beat the crap out of it for all of its 5k mile life and never touched a wrench to it!

Either way, always look close when buying a bike.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
That is a lot of miles for a bike which you are buying, however these bikes are notorious for being "bullet proof". If it's had any care at all it should still be sound. (I WOULD haggle on the price more though!) JMO

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
I sold my FZ6 for $1900 with 120,000 on the clock. That was priced to sell & not negotiable.

That was a bog stock bike, no after market pipe, screen, rearsets etc. Oh hang on....... I put heavier Race Tech fork springs in it.
I also did a lot of the maintenance myself & didn't supply a complete log book.

That said. I sold my bike rather cheap because I wanted it gone & was more than realistic about it's value.

It's a tough one. I didn't think it was a problem when I sold mine cos I knew it still performed & gave me very few problems. I had also replaced clutch, head stock bearings & sold it with relatively new fork springs & brake pads.

If I was buying a bike with that many Ks I would be a little wary & would go over it with a fine tooth comb (the guy who bought mine was a mechanic & did exactly that). Also check the log book & see if all the work was done by the same mechanic, it wouldn't hurt to see him as he probably knows that bike better than he knows his wife :D