Is the Shad Top Case Rack easy to remove?

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was considering picking one up and a sears top case but wondered if the rack is easy to remove since i would not want it on the bike all the time. Does it take just a few bolts to get it off or is it a hour plus job to take it off when not needed?

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
I was considering picking one up and a sears top case but wondered if the rack is easy to remove since i would not want it on the bike all the time. Does it take just a few bolts to get it off or is it a hour plus job to take it off when not needed?

I could probably get mine off in about 10 minutes. With the shad rack, the tricky part is the installation. See here for my experience:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/19744-shad-side-topcase-install-many-pics.html
I think (but cannot guarantee based on personal experience) that if you remove one of the tack welded nuts from each side, installation and subsequent re-installation should be a lot easier.

When I first installed my rack, I thought I might be taking it on and off, but I found that I just leave it on all of the time. For around town riding, the SH29 top case is great for tossing things into. I installed a large sears top case for a 3 day trip in May, which also worked great. If you take the case mounting plate off, the rack itself is pretty unobtrusive, but I can see that you might prefer to take it off if you weren’t going to need a case for a while.

Last edited:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I could probably get mine off in about 10 minutes. With the shad rack, the tricky part is the installation. See here for my experience:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/19744-shad-side-topcase-install-many-pics.html
I think (but cannot guarantee based on personal experience) that if you remove one of the tack welded nuts from each side, installation and subsequent re-installation should be a lot easier.

When I first installed my rack, I thought I might be taking it on and off, but I found that I just leave it on all of the time. For around town riding, the SH29 top case is great for tossing things into. I installed a large sears top case for a 3 day trip in May, which also worked great. If you take the case mounting plate off, the rack itself is pretty unobtrusive, but I can see that you might prefer to take it off if you weren’t going to need a case for a while.

Thanks for the info, I reviewed your thread and it really does not look all that big once it is on. It does actually look fine, if I get one I may consider just leaving it on all the time like you suggested. :)

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Based on my experience with removing the rack - once when selling the FZ - it is about a 10 min job and the at least one of the tack welded nuts will break free on it's own. I would worry a little about the longevity of the the "clamp" mounts with many installs but likely would only be the bolts/nuts that would need replacing. It will always be a little more difficult to install but I bet with practice you could do it 10-15 mins too. Like the others that have posted I just left my rack and case on all the time - they're too damn useful even if they're ugly.