Is The FZ6 That Powerful?

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
Well was riding with some GSX-R's, R6's, CBR's and so on Yesterday, and had no problem keeping up with them, actually faster then some :)

3511Ride.jpg

Today when I went to the helmet shop there stood a ninja zx6r in front of the store. I always look at tires and it had huge chickenstrips.(think that's the word for it ;) ) And when the owner almost left the store he was talking about something more suitable for people with a sportier riding style. How can you talk about sportier riding style with those chickenstrips I thought to myself. And later on I heard(open exhaust) what he ment with "sportier style": It appearently means: reving high on straight roads. Made me smile. :D

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
I purchased my FZ6 in 2007 and rode it until I sold it this year. I enjoyed the bike but started getting the itch for something different and bit larger (I'm a tall guy). I wanted the feel and look of sport bike, but something I could stretch out a bit further on...so I went with the Triumph Sprint ST. The Sprint is a sport tourer that leans much more towards the "sport" part of its title. Take the hardbags off and its a sport bike that can keep up with any other sport bike in the twisties...no doubt. The 1050cc engine just keeps giving power. This morning I was on my commute and bumped the tranny into third gear. As I slowly kept increasing the throttle I noticed that the revs did not get crazy, but the engine just kept delivering more and more power and speed. That's what I notice the most about the switch. The FZ would rev itself up so much to get to 70-80-mph but the Sprint just hummed and delivered the power much smoother. Not to mention the Sprint and its single sided swing arm is just sexy and the ergos are great (ok enough self love). Some good advice in this thread. I was a bit nervous about getting my 600 as first bike, but it will only go as fast as you make it go. My FZ's power only scared me a couple of times...but it was totally my fault :) Good luck with your decision!

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased my FZ6 in 2007 and rode it until I sold it this year. I enjoyed the bike but started getting the itch for something different and bit larger (I'm a tall guy). I wanted the feel and look of sport bike, but something I could stretch out a bit further on...so I went with the Triumph Sprint ST. The Sprint is a sport tourer that leans much more towards the "sport" part of its title. Take the hardbags off and its a sport bike that can keep up with any other sport bike in the twisties...no doubt. The 1050cc engine just keeps giving power. This morning I was on my commute and bumped the tranny into third gear. As I slowly kept increasing the throttle I noticed that the revs did not get crazy, but the engine just kept delivering more and more power and speed. That's what I notice the most about the switch. The FZ would rev itself up so much to get to 70-80-mph but the Sprint just hummed and delivered the power much smoother. Not to mention the Sprint and its single sided swing arm is just sexy and the ergos are great (ok enough self love). Some good advice in this thread. I was a bit nervous about getting my 600 as first bike, but it will only go as fast as you make it go. My FZ's power only scared me a couple of times...but it was totally my fault :) Good luck with your decision!

Do you have any problems with excessive heat comming off the engine when you ride? The sprint st is one of my favorite bikes, i think it is beautiful.

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
I think that problem was identified on the earlier models (05-06). I have an 08. I believe they installed some sort of heat shield that corrects the problem and I don't notice anymore heat than I did with my FZ. The seat get a bit warm in stop and go traffic, but nothing unbearable. It's a great all round bike so far.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I spent some time the past two summers riding my Uncles extra bikes:

1. 2006 Suzuki V-strom 650

2. 1999 Victory cruiser ~1500cc

Neither bike was as quick as my FZ6, not even that huge 1500cc engine (mostly because it has no power in high rpms and weighs something like 650 lbs+)

Even the V-strom which is a sport touring bike was not only slow and handled poorly compared to the FZ6....but the tall windscreen was really annoying! I can't stand looking through a windscreen on a bike!

Those bikes would be better than the FZ6 at just one thing. . . cruising on highways for hundreds of miles on end.

The FZ6 is better at everything else.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Well if you have an itch for a bigger bike.... try a zzr 1200 (if you can find one) it's the under rated busa of the sport/tourer world... think i actually saw a clip on youtube of it beating a 'busa on a drag strip. If you roll the throttle even a little you instantly find your self going quite a bit faster and have a wide smile on your face. That being said it does have a little bit of a sportier riding position depending on how tall you are, but if you install risers you are pretty upright unless your short.

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 is a great beginner bike and was the first bike I started on. I took on msf class got my license and bought the bike.

At first the Fz6 was seemed very weak and mild mannered to me. After about 4 months of riding it I was disappointed with the bike and wished I had started with a bike that had at least a little punch to it.

That was before I learned about riding in rpm ranges. Yes, I was complete noob to riding motorcycles. I was going by the Manual that said something like, shift to second gear at 17mph, 3rd gear 27 mph, 4th 37, 5th 47, and 6th gear 56 mph which make the bike ride about as powerfully as riding a bicycle.

Now I know that the bike runs best when you keep it over 9 rpm before when i was riding it according to the MOM i would rarely go over 5 rpm. The bike has a total different feel to it now much more power.

When I was learning to ride, the bike was mild and gentle. Now that I am better at riding the bike is more powerful and aggressive.

To me the Fz6 is the perfect beginner bike. The bike can be very tame when you first start, but it can also be more wild as you improve your riding. The bike can carve up the canyons and can also go long distance like a touring bike. The bike allows you to learn about yourself as riding in that the bike can be ridden a variety of ways so can you can learn about what type of riding suits you best.

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 is a great beginner bike and was the first bike I started on. I took on msf class got my license and bought the bike.

At first the Fz6 was seemed very weak and mild mannered to me. After about 4 months of riding it I was disappointed with the bike and wished I had started with a bike that had at least a little punch to it.

That was before I learned about riding in rpm ranges. Yes, I was complete noob to riding motorcycles. I was going by the Manual that said something like, shift to second gear at 17mph, 3rd gear 27 mph, 4th 37, 5th 47, and 6th gear 56 mph which make the bike ride about as powerfully as riding a bicycle.

Now I know that the bike runs best when you keep it over 9 rpm before when i was riding it according to the MOM i would rarely go over 5 rpm. The bike has a total different feel to it now much more power.

When I was learning to ride, the bike was mild and gentle. Now that I am better at riding the bike is more powerful and aggressive.

To me the Fz6 is the perfect beginner bike. The bike can be very tame when you first start, but it can also be more wild as you improve your riding. The bike can carve up the canyons and can also go long distance like a touring bike. The bike allows you to learn about yourself as riding in that the bike can be ridden a variety of ways so can you can learn about what type of riding suits you best.

Neal, you're right. I'm a still noob (beginning my 4th season). This year, I've been taking my shift points to higher rpm's (7K or so in my case - occasionally, I'll go to 11 or 12) and really enjoy the, "punch".

My reason for the post is that I think I would like a larger, heavier bike that won't whip around as much in the wind - displacement isn't all that important, but does tend to vary with bike weight. I'm honestly concerned that after beginning my riding on an FZ, moving to a heaver bike would be miserable (from a power and acceleration standpoint). I figure I can get one, "swap" past my wife - so the new bike will be around for awhile - and she's absolutely right as we have two kids to get through college (in other words, I'm going to have to live with my decision for some time).

I'd consider an FJR, but would like to see some (on that guy's list out there) with 60K plus miles like the Beemers so I can be as confident in their longevity.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
its fast dude , it can keep up with r1's from the start but you will never be able to outaccelerate a big bike 1000 cc and up with a 600cc when you are at highway speeds or going for top speed , which is really considered racing if you look at it legally . with 1000 cc and up you dont have to be in a lower gear or give full throttle to achieve greater speeds which is the advantage

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
My reason for the post is that I think I would like a larger, heavier bike that won't whip around as much in the wind

It does fine in the wind just relax, open up your hands and let the bike do the work. Living in N.Central Montana I ride a lot in the wind, while it gets old as h3!! the bike does fine, I don't get blown all over the road, not even as much as I see some cars do.

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
It does fine in the wind just relax, open up your hands and let the bike do the work. Living in N.Central Montana I ride a lot in the wind, while it gets old as h3!! the bike does fine, I don't get blown all over the road, not even as much as I see some cars do.

I agree. There is a technique to riding in the wind. If you get too tense and grip the handle bars hard your bike will move around. Relax your grip on the bars keep and keep your arms loose let the bars move slightly on their own with soft gentle corrections if needed.