Is that supposed to be there?

sumofclay

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, I know that's not the best picture ever, but hopefully you can tell that's my chain going over the swingarm. My question is- is that black plastic piece supposed to be there between the chain and the swingarm, and is the chain supposed to come in contact with it?

The reason I ask is that this morning on the highway I noticed some extra vibes in my nether regions (normally a great way to start the day, but a little unnerving when you notice it at 80mph). I've looked everything over and I don't see anything out of place (tires are good, nothing seems to be rubbing) with the possible exception of that plastic piece in question. So... thoughts? Thanks y'all!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, its supposed to be there. It is a chain guide and protects the swingarm from the chain slapping it. At 80mph,, I don't think the chain is even making contact with it.

sumofclay

Reaction score
Visit site
That's what I thought, but I figured I'd check. Glad to know I don't have to try and disassemble anything here in the parking lot :D. Thanks motojoe122.

Anyone have any ideas where the extra vibes might be coming from? I've felt them in the handlebars the whole time I've had the bike, but not in the seat until today. Maybe I'm just paranoid?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's what I thought, but I figured I'd check. Glad to know I don't have to try and disassemble anything here in the parking lot :D. Thanks motojoe122.

Anyone have any ideas where the extra vibes might be coming from? I've felt them in the handlebars the whole time I've had the bike, but not in the seat until today. Maybe I'm just paranoid?

The bike it's kinda vibey anyway, but a throttle body sync should take care of most of it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can discern engine vibes from drive train vibes that will help point you in the right direction. A clean well oiled chain with the rear wheel properly aligned will keep the moving vibes minimized. Confirm chain has no kinks and every roller spins freely. How many miles on the bike?

The engines tune will play a roll in vibes presented to you even when parked.
Fresh oil
New air filter
New spark plugs at proper gap
Confirm all plug wires to caps are snug (they get loose and cause lots engine vibes at ALL RPMs!
TB sync
Those items if done correctly will smooth it out substantially!
I have threads on plug caps and wheel alignment if you need them.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
When the you are accelerating or holding steady speed the chain will lift up off the guide. When decelerating and engine braking the chain actually does make contact with that guide so it does get some wear. Nothing to worry about just clean the guide when you clean the chain and lubricate both!