Is it ok to remove these parts from exhaust & center stand

Puttin Along

Reaction score
Visit site
The center stand was off the bike and in a box when I got it. Every time my mechanic buddy had worked on it he just uses a stand under the back wheel. I am thinking about just not putting the center stand on. The lower part near the exhaust has never had a bolt through it. Doesn't seem to need it, can it go? Or do I need to put a bolt there? Thought about cutting the two holes off too. The upper piece seems to have been for a exhaust mount? It appears I have a different mid pipe with no cat and some exhaust gasket rigged where it goes to the rear.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the bolt attaches to the motor or frame, yes you need it. If it was a bracket to the stock exhaust down pipe you probably don't need it but I also wonder why Yamaha would spend the money they did adding any support for the exhaust... :)

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a bit confused which piece you want to remove or not but for comparison's sake, here is a pic similar to yours. You can tell your exhaust has been modified and the support adapted. In my picture, there are two pieces for the center stand. You only have one left (between the two big bolts no 9).

Hope this helps you figure out what you can keep/remove by comparing how it was designed originally.

Btw, if you remove the last piece of the center stand, the one between the two bolts no 9, it is recommended you remove one bolt at a time as another member here had the parts misaligned and had difficulty putting the bolts back.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The center stand was off the bike and in a box when I got it. Every time my mechanic buddy had worked on it he just uses a stand under the back wheel. I am thinking about just not putting the center stand on. The lower part near the exhaust has never had a bolt through it. Doesn't seem to need it, can it go? Or do I need to put a bolt there? Thought about cutting the two holes off too. The upper piece seems to have been for a exhaust mount? It appears I have a different mid pipe with no cat and some exhaust gasket rigged where it goes to the rear.

The first picture, if you look much closer, IS part of the main frame, it cannot unbolt off. You can cut it off but you'd be depreciating the value of the bike.

As posted above, that other piece, (has about a 3/4" grooved, piece of steel sticking out) held on with the two large bolts, is for the sidestand spring. You can remove that (one bolt at a time as noted above). Expect to find rust on those bolts and clean up the threads as you'll be using more of them if you remove that plate(grease up the shaft)

**BTW, that particular part, is NOT listed in the Yamaha parts section, ANYWHERE. Do NOT pitch it. We searched all over the US and found one on E-Bay for Ozarkman as he needed one in Turkey..

And just as a side note, the issue with the halfs not lining up was that it also supported the stock exhaust. When he pulled both bolts out, the exhaust tension pulled the holes making the offset. And that piece in the middle is separate from the frame halfs but secures them together at the rear...

Puttin Along

Reaction score
Visit site
Let me apologize for being vague with the picture. Lol, sorry! Now I am a bit confused! Maybe a picture with reference points would be better! The red arrow on the left spins and will rotate to where a bolt could/should pass through. But it seems as though it would provide no real support. My mechanic bud just put a floor jack under the exhaust and jacked it up to take the front wheel off and there was no bolt in the while time! I thought I'd just remove and trim at the green line and reinstall as it appear to act as a spacer. Remove the stud at the yellow arrow. The bracket at the orange arrow I thought I'd carefully grind off. The purple arrows in the second picture, well nothing is attached there so I'll just remove the bolt that the arrow on the right points to.
Not set on doing any of it, it was just a thought I had....

Last edited:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Now that's a lot clearer :)

Yellow can be removed for sure if you don't need the center stand. The rest of your setup is all different from stock and they indeed seem useless.

Even though the exhaust proved to be solid without those mounting points, in your place I would still use some of the support points for the exhaust. But that's just me.

Let me apologize for being vague with the picture. Lol, sorry! Now I am a bit confused! Maybe a picture with reference points would be better! The red arrow on the left spins and will rotate to where a bolt could/should pass through. But it seems as though it would provide no real support. My mechanic bud just put a floor jack under the exhaust and jacked it up to take the front wheel off and there was no bolt in the while time! I thought I'd just remove and trim at the green line and reinstall as it appear to act as a spacer. Remove the stud at the yellow arrow. The bracket at the orange arrow I thought I'd carefully grind off. The purple arrows in the second picture, well nothing is attached there so I'll just remove the bolt that the arrow on the right points to.
Not set on doing any of it, it was just a thought I had....

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that's a lot clearer :)

Yellow can be removed for sure if you don't need the center stand. The rest of your setup is all different from stock and they indeed seem useless.

Even though the exhaust proved to be solid without those mounting points, in your place I would still use some of the support points for the exhaust. But that's just me.

Ya, with no header support and no midpipe support id be weary of the header cracking somewhere. Yes its strong and yes it can hold the bike but dont underestimate what uncontrolled vibration can do! These have have plenty vibes so I'd be looking to retain the header mount.

Jm2c

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That bracket with the yellow arrow pointing at it simply can be un-bolted and removed. Your modified exhaust isn't putting any pressure on the main large spacer, so its really not an issue.

Should you change your mind, good luck finding another, very hard to find (can't buy new) and besides, it'll loook cleaner with that plate off too..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya, with no header support and no midpipe support id be weary of the header cracking somewhere. Yes its strong and yes it can hold the bike but dont underestimate what uncontrolled vibration can do! These have have plenty vibes so I'd be looking to retain the header mount.

Agreed with ^^^.

If anything, I'd fab up a steel plate, bolt it thru that rubber mount and put a mig weld to it for support and help eliminate excess vibes (and later failure)..

Yamaha's stock muffler was mounted very stoutly.

**Your currently missing TWO EXHAUST mounts that I can see. Don't know if you have the stock muffler, I suspect not, so all that is holding up you exhaust is the header to head bolts and what ever muffler you have installed (nothing inbetween).

That's probably the reason for that "FIX" in your second pic...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed with ^^^.

If anything, I'd fab up a steel plate, bolt it thru that rubber mount and put a mig weld to it for support and help eliminate excess vibes (and later failure)..

Yamaha's stock muffler was mounted very stoutly.

**Your currently missing TWO EXHAUST mounts that I can see. Don't know if you have the stock muffler, I suspect not, so all that is holding up you exhaust is the header to head bolts and what ever muffler you have installed (nothing inbetween).

That's probably the reason for that "FIX" in your second pic...

^^ +5

As said, it won't fail today or next week or maybe even next month, but I lay odds it WILL TAKE ITS TOLL and something it going to break! Its just a matter of time!

Puttin Along

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all for the input! So then only thing I thought was not stock was the mid pipe. Are y'all saying the header is not? The stock muffler is on there too BTW. So if I put a bolt in the lower mount it will act as a vibration sink and help protect the whole thing from damage due to vibration?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all for the input! So then only thing I thought was not stock was the mid pipe. Are y'all saying the header is not? The stock muffler is on there too BTW. So if I put a bolt in the lower mount it will act as a vibration sink and help protect the whole thing from damage due to vibration?

We can't see the header but I'm sure it stock. If you have the stock muffler, its held pretty tight.

And yes, if theres a tab that's not bolted to the exhaust and should be, put it in!! It'll certainly help...(50% worth!)

With the original CAT removed, you lost one support(of several). Not great but you should be ok.

If your handy with some thin steel (1/8" is plenty), make a template with cardboard, (using that unused hole), then transfer to steel. Cut, drill and bolt to that rubber mount.

A muffler shop can run a quick MIG weld and make it permanent to the mid pipe. That "fix" doesn't look so hot, so if if everythings aligned correctly, that extra tab welded/bolted on, you should be fine (no leaks) and get rid of that "fix"...

You won't have any cracking issues as your pretty much back to stock...(as long as everything's aligned properly, no excess/undue tension)

Puttin Along

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok! Gonna run a bolt through the two red arrows. Will just use what I have till I can get the correct parts from like Ron Ayers. I expect like rubber washers too? In the near future I'll fab a bracket for the mid. Where the mid meets the exhaust there was a leak when I got the bike as the PO had aftermarket on it and took it off. So my bud said to order the gasket that goes there. He said it did not fit right and he had to make do. That is what is pictured there and that is part of the gasket material sticking out. Not sure what to do there really....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, (just looked at mine) look closely at the top, rear of your header (couple inches from the end of the header). There should be a flange there that bolts to that mid frame section, has nothing to do with those outer bolts..

So your actually mssing JUST the mid pipe support.

If it was leaking, the PO just likely got stuff misalined and it leaked.. That or its a piss poor mid pipe cat eliminator that doesn't fit correctly..