Is a pair of jeans an adequate protective layer for riding?

Is a pair of jeans an adequate protective layer for riding?

• Yes

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • No

Votes: 85 90.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HavBlue

Wearing jeans while riding is like a Fireman running into a burning Jean factory while wearing Jeans!!

If that's the case there must be a few hundred thousand fireman out there because it seems you see jeans worn by most riders regardless of it being a sportbike or a cruiser.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
If that's the case there must be a few hundred thousand fireman out there because it seems you see jeans worn by most riders regardless of it being a sportbike or a cruiser.

You're right. They're ALL firemen. Just wait...and one day they'll get BURNED!

(Ok, it's a dumb joke. But safety was never funny)

H

HavBlue

You're right. They're ALL firemen. Just wait...and one day they'll get BURNED!

Maybe, maybe not. The fact that a rider wears jeans and goes down doesn't necessarily means they will or for that matter won't get burned or rashed. The fact you are wearing a helmet doesn't necessarily mean you won't have a neck injury when you fall although the chances of that injury may be reduced. The fact that you choose to use a cross walk to cross the street doesn't necessarily mean you won't get hit by a cage while crossing. Fact is some folks have been riding for decades and they've been wearing jeans all that time as their clothing of choice but they have never been hurt, burned, downed and so on. Bottom line is it all comes down to a comfort level and in some cases the quality denim holds its own to the point it is painfully obvious the scales of choice in the broader range of motorcyclists falls toward those that choose to wear denim.

Chopstick

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up a set of Icon reinforced jeans and just bought some knee/shin armor to get a decent compromise of dressing casually and being protected.

W

wrightme43

I am about to order these as well.
Shift Torque Street Jeans - Pants & Chaps Online at MotoSport

I keep seeing then in the motorcycle magazines.
I have leather pants,
I have two pairs of over pants.
I have a over suit
I still rode the other day with just jeans on. I hope I will at least wear these when I ride with just jeans.
I wore held gloves, fullface helmet, leather jacket, sidi boots, and levi jeans. Everything is protected but my legs.
I still dont think denim is the best, but the fact is it is comfortable and looks good. This seems like a pretty good compromise.

hansfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a word of advice, from my own experience. I went down at about 30mph, had all my protective gear but pants. Guess what suffered the most, I was not able to bend and walk straight for about 2 weeks. This is no joke. I have scars till today. I don't know why everyone looks for the coolest jacket and helmet and don't even think about pants. I was the same way. Please if you learn anything, wear all the gear. You wouldn't put a half of condon on would you?;)

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a joe rocket alter ego riding pants, that zip into my jacket. also joe rocket. I feel very well protected now, with my full face helmet. I am lacking good gloves though, mine are finger less, pretty thin affairs, but i'm sure its still better than nothing. I got good boots, but would like some better ones. Padded riding pants are definitely good.

Status
Not open for further replies.