Is a pair of jeans an adequate protective layer for riding?

Is a pair of jeans an adequate protective layer for riding?

• Yes

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • No

Votes: 85 90.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Even leather will not be 100% but it is the best protection. I crashed on the old Aspen Colo track and went through two layer of leather on my right elbow. No armor back then. It hurt so damn bad I though I had broken my elbow.

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone provide some links to examples of some good pants and jackets?

Not everyone digs the style, but I have an NJK leather jacket (Ghost) which is really top notch quality (except maybe vanson). Small company in Cali; talk with the owner Kelcey and he'll give you the low down on his construction. Cool thing is that he'll also throw in a fully armored textile or mesh jacket for the really hot days for free (so total = $290). They have pants as well, though I have a pair of Motoport Kevlar pants that I like muito.

Edit - Link here: Ghost Leather Motorcycle Jacket

Last edited:

Combat

Reaction score
Visit site
I just wear my Rustler work jeans when I ride. They are about twice as thick as a normal pair of jeans. The problem I face with wearing certain gear is that I use my bike as a commuter aswell. At work I have little space for even my helmet and jacket. I don't know how I could carry/wear and store my work boots/pants and my riding boots/pants. It makes me really uncomfortable going to and from work because I'm just wearing those paper thin dress pants.

Also, I said Yes. My jeans are fairly thick, and while they do not provide the level of safety one would get from leathers, I feel that they are adequate for normal riding.

Last edited:

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
I tumbled for 20 feet and slid for another 40 feet at around 40 miles per hour, see how well jeans protect you.

100_1346.jpg

ATGATT because road rash hurts:mad:

F250moto

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear Firstgear Overpants most of the time, but I will say there is an occasion that I wear jeans. When I do, I wear Carhart double loggers. They are work jeans and have two layers of thick denim. Now I live in a farm town so they're cool! of course jeans don't have the protection that pants made for riding have, but if you have to choose what gear to wear (based on budget) get a good pair of riding boots first. Road rash hurts, Bad, but they heal. A shattered ankle is usually a lifelong injury.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am very biased on this as I have seen the wrong side of denim abrasion protection to often at work.
Yes it is true; we do scrub the wound with a scrubbing brush to get the grit out. We do use a local anaesthetic gel, that stings so bad the rider usually cries or wishes they were dead. So IMO only a fool would consider them to have protective qualities.

That being said and done I have not encountered a rider who was wearing work grade denim. So I can’t comment on that one Charlie.

Protective gear does so much more than stop abrasions. If the gear fits well enough it will also reduce the amount of shearing your skin goes through.
I had a lose jacket once and came off doing about 50mph. The jacket was armoured and did a good job. My back was covered with friction burns though. So get gear and get gear that fits properly.

Nelly

H

HavBlue

Even leather will not be 100% but it is the best protection. I crashed on the old Aspen Colo track and went through two layer of leather on my right elbow. No armor back then. It hurt so damn bad I though I had broken my elbow.

Correct, even leather won't offer 100% protection. I look at it this way, the whole idea is not to go down in the first place. Each time you ride do you actually think about going down? I don't. I don't think about it at all because in all likelihood if you truly believe you will, then chances are it will come to pass. When and if it does I will deal with it then. It's like saying you won't break bones because you have an armored jacket on. Yeah, tell that to the folks that did break bones and did have armor on. Either way, if you're going down it will probably hurt so why worry about it until you do.

So, summer is coming and out come the fingerless gloves, short sleeved shirts, tennis shoes, open face half shelled DOT helmet and my comfortable pair of industrial strength blue jeans with the cute Dickies emblem on them.:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HavBlue

I tumbled for 20 feet and slid for another 40 feet at around 40 miles per hour, see how well jeans protect you.

100_1346.jpg

ATGATT because road rash hurts

That's it? I'd say it looks pretty good although it probably hurt like hell.....

MrTurner

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone had experience of an off with kevlar lined jeans? Bullet proof jackets are mate from kevlar, I'd expect them to fair better than regular denim?

hammerheadshadow

Reaction score
Visit site
I do. Yeah good comparison. Bullet proof jacket got like 36 thick industrial strenth kevlar / aramid layers and these jeans got like 1 and it is a crappy one too. Too thin. Knee sheen armor by bohn, icon etc and heavy duty leathers on top will do just fine.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do. Yeah good comparison. Bullet proof jacket got like 36 thick industrial strenth kevlar / aramid layers and these jeans got like 1 and it is a crappy one too. Too thin. Knee sheen armor by bohn, icon etc and heavy duty leathers on top will do just fine.
I looked after a SQUID today. Jeans and t-shirt low speed fall 20 - 30 mph. Nice load of road rash up his back and calf. On Friday saw a CBR RR rider who was t-boned doing 40mph. She was fully geared and wearing armour. 1 X broken Clavicle, no road rash, lucky girl. The argument for not wearing gear is thinner than the Australian Ozone layer.
Gear up and be safe.

Nelly

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
I use "draggin jeans" aswel. Looks good, really comfy and kevlar protection is really good. I dont have leather trousers mainly due to the fact that i like to go somewhere then just walk about without feeling like a power ranger hehe.

one of my mates dads is a paramedic and he says as long as you have burn protection you will be fine (in particular the hips and arse)

Ill be gettin another pair soon, love em

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of jeans that have holes in them from a spill i took 2 years ago......see my post on the ever been laughed at for gearing up thread.

I can tell you the road will chew through jeans in half a second.

H

HavBlue

Listen folks if you want to wear good quality denim and you think you're going down then by all means have a plan (B). If you want to save some money with that plan (B) you can go this route and only spend about twice what you did for the jeans in the first place....

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I looked after a SQUID today. Jeans and t-shirt low speed fall 20 - 30 mph. Nice load of road rash up his back and calf. On Friday saw a CBR RR rider who was t-boned doing 40mph. She was fully geared and wearing armour. 1 X broken Clavicle, no road rash, lucky girl. The argument for not wearing gear is thinner than the Australian Ozone layer.
Gear up and be safe.

Nelly

Wearing jeans while riding is like a Fireman running into a burning Jean factory while wearing Jeans!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.