Interesting problem

letner.james

Reaction score
Visit site
Rode my 07 fz6 last week. Lubed the chain over the weekend and started it a couple of times. Went to ride it today and it cranked but would not fire up. I ended up having to take another bike.

Sent a text to the old lady 30 min later and asked her to try to start the bike and it fired up right away. I got home 5 hours after and it fired up again right away

I was thinking maybe the bat was low but the starter was running fine. I did put the tender on it and it charged for about an hour.

I am at a loss as to what the issue was and a bit concerned that it may pop up again. Any ideas as to what the issue could be?

Bike is an 07 and just hit 4000 miles. No work was done other than cleaning and spraying lube on the chain and as I stated it was ran after work was done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It is possible that you have leaking injectors causing a flooded situation on the first try. After it had dried out it was ok.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did it crank over (SPIN) at normal speed or somewhat slower?

Starting, stopping, re-starting within a short period of time is pretty much just running the battery down. Especially if its an older battery its harder on it. Sitting after that no start, the battery voltage probably recovered enough on its own to start later in the day.

Is your idle at least 1250, 1300? That RPM is about the break even point for charging. If its sitting idleing below that, your running off the battery(running it down).

I would fully charge it, pull it and get it load tested.

If it passes, re-install and check charging voltages. Fully charged is about 12.8 volts static. Engine RUNNING, above 2K RPM's= high 13, low 14 volts is normal...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking maybe the bat was low but the starter was running fine. I did put the tender on it and it charged for about an hour.

:welcome:to our great forum! :rockon:

If the battery is low it will directly effect the starter performance. If the starter is spinning the motor at a good pace the battery is probably okay.

At what point did you put the tender on the battery? After it failed to start? When you start the bike cold the fuel mix is rich and a couple of cold starts may wet the plugs sufficiently to create a flooded effect. If it happens again, open the throttle to full to see if it clears and starts. Starting your bike intermittently without it having time to recharge can also cause problems. The FZ6 needs at least 2-3000 rpm to start charging and it will need a few minutes at speed to fully recharge. Stop light to stop light is not an efficient charging scenario for the bike. It likes RPM!
You might have the battery load tested (^^as Scott said^^) to rule out a problem with the battery. Many auto parts places will do this free for you but you'll have to pull your battery from the bike, charge it and then take it to them.

Another common issue is intermittent red kill switch. The contacts may be dirty but usually this is a problem after the bike is running. If this switch is in the open position the starter should not operate.

To answer previous questions, as to whether the starter turns the engine at a fast pace and what sequence the charger was applied will help us understand what the problem might be. :)

letner.james

Reaction score
Visit site
The starter motor ran normally and it did not act as if the bat was low. The old lady said it fired up 30 min after I left it without an issue and let it run for a while.

When I got home 5 hours later I started it up without any issues. Afterwards I put on the bat tender and left it on overnight.

The check engine light did come on while it refused to start which earlier today I learned that meant there was an error code but at the time did not know so I did not get a code or look for one. This weekend I will go into the diag mode and try to retrieve that code just because I would like to know what code it spit out.

letner.james

Reaction score
Visit site
I just fired it up and took it for a spin. No issues.

While thinking about this I have a new question. My kids like to spend time in the garage. Is it plausible that they could have been playing with the throttle causing the bike to flood even though it's fuel injected?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It definitly won't flood if its not running. (That's not counting a stuck open fuel injector-not likely, if this only happened once and runs good otherwise, especially cold)

Now if they turned on the key, 4 ways, etc, that would run the battery down causing a no start, pop a code, etc. The code that popped is likely a low voltage code, not un-usual at all when the battery is low...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A common code to see at low voltage is the er1 code. Lift the tank and take a peak. Check battery connections.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
Rode my 07 fz6 last week. Lubed the chain over the weekend and started it a couple of times. Went to ride it today and it cranked but would not fire up. I ended up having to take another bike.

Sent a text to the old lady 30 min later and asked her to try to start the bike and it fired up right away. I got home 5 hours after and it fired up again right away

I am at a loss as to what the issue was and a bit concerned that it may pop up again. Any ideas as to what the issue could be?

Bike is an 07 and just hit 4000 miles. No work was done other than cleaning and spraying lube on the chain and as I stated it was ran after work was done

i have had similar start issues several times but the bike never failed to start. at least after several tries. one time it threw out this error code, see thread here

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/54138-error-code-19-a.html

what is notable for me in your post is your bike hasn't failed to start, really. i mean even when you gave up on it last, the bike started later. so its nothing which has needed a "fix" yet, exactly. and who knows...one or two more tries before you gave up on it last may have fired it up?

as you can see from that thread i linked i am a total newbie mechanically, and being middle-aged will most likely remain one even if i catch on a little. but i cleaned my kickstand switch of road grime and THAT particular problem has gone away

but the bike is still hard to start sometimes, and letting YOU know how and when may help both of us. firstly it sounds strong when it cranks, a bit weaker in recent colder weather. but a few times since i've owned the bike a "first start of the day" in any weather has seen me hit the button and the bike just stop cranking in a couple seconds. as if the kill switch was on. but second try and bam, starts right up

so that is one thing. more of a concern but not a problem is when the bike has been run and is "medium warm" after sitting an hour or so. i say "medium warm" because its not completely "cold" as if a morning start or sitting for hours, or a "hot start" such as after sitting for 5-10 minutes. it always starts in those instances

but in these other instances? the bike won't start (so it seems) unless i open the throttle and "give it some gas." it is a fuel injected bike so i don't know what that means? running lean / rich, maybe? or as someone said...an injector leak, maybe? its due for spark plugs, so perhaps that? i will be taking care of that, shortly. but again i "give it gas," smell a bit of it, and it starts up. however even with an open throttle it can take a few tries. the bike otherwise runs and idles flawlessly. very smooth and normal rpm

i tell you this too just so you don't worry too much. i rely on my bike daily and its been solid over the last 8 months and 6000 miles of ownership with 13,700 miles now. so solid i just consider this starting thing a "bike glitch" and ride and don't think about it. i don't expect it to happen so when it does i think "hmm, gotta get that checked" and ride as usual. from what i have read here and elsewhere its a bike that can have little issues like this, but are readily solved by many knowledgeable members on this board and elsewhere

my bike is 2007 btw. if any of this can help you down the road or informs you in some way....you're welcome. your own post comforts me in a "well, you're not alone" sort of way. so thanks :)

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had similar twice.

The first instance was at work one morning after a v wet ride to work the night before. She fired on individual cylinders on the third try.

The second was at home after a weekend off. It had started in the garage on the Saturday night for mates, then gone back on the tender. Come Monday morning, it'd turn over strong and fast, but no fire. Had to bump start it down my road (convenient slope).

(EDIT: I also had the check engine light both times)

My thoughts were water around the sparks. The first time from the ride in the night before, the second from washing it, and even though it started between washing and struggling to start some had settled, or even frozen, in just the wrong spot.

My advice: check that your spark plug caps are keeping the water out, and make sure the drain hole on the left of the engine block is clear by pocking something through it. Then have a whizz round your electrics with GT85/WD40/DuckOil/ACF50 or any other penetrative water displacer.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had similar twice.

My thoughts were water around the sparks. The first time from the ride in the night before, the second from washing it, and even though it started between washing and struggling to start some had settled, or even frozen, in just the wrong spot.

My advice: check that your spark plug caps are keeping the water out, and make sure the drain hole on the left of the engine block is clear by pocking something through it. Then have a whizz round your electrics with GT85/WD40/DuckOil/ACF50 or any other penetrative water displacer.

Just to add to the aboe, Dilectric grease on the rubber cap edges(that touches the valve cover) sticks very well and makes installation and removal of the caps MUCH easier... I use it on EVERY ELECTRICAL connector I pull apart. It will definitly help future water intursion problems from occurring...

horishima

Reaction score
Visit site
I also have a weird problem where I would ride the bike, then when I stop the bike would not start, it turns over cranks fine but will not start then if I wait for 30+mins it will start.. I have cleaned the injectors, fuel tank / pump, changed plugs.. because it seems like a fuel problem.. any Ideals?
2006 btw, Thank you!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you checked the fuel tank vent to make sure its clear and the hose is NOT kinked?

Carry a second key with you and open the fuel tank when the issue arises. If it starts, you've found it...