Installing Throttle Tamer... any tips?

astrovan2487

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got one of those G2 Throttle Tamers from Amazon last week and think I'm gonna install it tonight. Dosen't seem too difficult but are there any tricks to installing it? I've heard you have to glue it on to the grips but it dosent mention anything about installation on the packaging.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine had a rough outer edge. There was no need to glue it on to the grips, i just sprayed some hair spray on it and it stuck great :). Its very easy to install.

astrovan2487

Reaction score
Visit site
Tried installing this tonight and they must be made to only work with stock grips. I have Rizoma grips and they are way too narrow to come anywhere close to fitting the throttle tamer tube. Guess Ill have to drill out the Rizoma grips a little bigger so the tube will fit. Has anyone run into this problem before? The throttle tamer tube is also longer than the stock one by about a quarter inch. Did they send me the wrong part or something?

William

Reaction score
Visit site
The throttle tamer tube is also longer than the stock one by about a quarter inch. Did they send me the wrong part or something?

Although it's listed as bike-specific, my Tamer and I believe several other's were longer than the stock tube and had to be cut about that much to fit...Click for the thread where this was discussed. Also, fwiw, here's a link to an install write up with photos on my blog, most of which is already in that linked thread...Click. Note my comments on the free-play adjustments that I needed to make after install. Good luck!

astrovan2487

Reaction score
Visit site
So I ended up shaving off the knurled part of the throttle tamer with a lathe and cleaned out the inner diameter of the Rizoma grip a little bigger. It fit, I used a press to get the two pieces together (no hammer!). I just relized that my impatience made me forget about the tamer tube being longer than stock...oops Ill have to measure when I get back home and cut it.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I ended up shaving off the knurled part of the throttle tamer with a lathe and cleaned out the inner diameter of the Rizoma grip a little bigger. It fit, I used a press to get the two pieces together (no hammer!). I just relized that my impatience made me forget about the tamer tube being longer than stock...oops Ill have to measure when I get back home and cut it.
For the cost of the product it is very poor that you have to in effect re-machine the product. I think we should do a forum complaint to the manufacture.
I am happy to write a letter or send an e-mail. I would like to know the names of the members who have experienced this issue to add weight to the complaint. The product numbers ordered would also be useful as it is sold as machine specific.
Or if people feel it's not worth the complaint please also let me know.
Neil

Last edited:

astrovan2487

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking of sending them an email today just to give them a heads up. I ordered part # 17-0659. I'm sure there isnt an issue with the outter diameter of the tamer tube if you are using stock or rubber grips but there was absolutely no way my aluminum Rizoma grip would fit over these without alot of moding. Luckily I'm a small equipment mechanic and have the tools to remachine this or it would have been a waste of time and money.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking of sending them an email today just to give them a heads up. I ordered part # 17-0659. I'm sure there isnt an issue with the outter diameter of the tamer tube if you are using stock or rubber grips but there was absolutely no way my aluminum Rizoma grip would fit over these without alot of moding. Luckily I'm a small equipment mechanic and have the tools to remachine this or it would have been a waste of time and money.
I was also under the impression that there was an issue with the length of the Tamer and the stock bar end sticking?

Neil

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh snaps i forgot about it being too long. I had fz1 bars so i just moved in everything a little bit and it worked fine. No cutting or anything needed since my controls were not anchored in with the hole in the bar.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Throttle tamer also and had to slice a bit off of the end which I had heard from other members. It sure makes the throttle lag gone. Great investment for me.