Installing FZ1 handlebar tomorrow, couple of questions though..

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I will be receiving my FZ1 handlebar at the dealership tomorrow, and I just can't wait to install it. In fact, I think I might start removing the old one today, it's raining anyway and I won't get a chance to rain anyway.

After reading a few threads here, I still have a couple of questions before I start this mod:

1) Apparently I'll have the choice to drill a hole or file off the pegs for the throttle side controls. I want to drill the hole, and my question is: what exactly do I need to do / align / check before I drill the hole? Any tips?

2) Couple of posts mention it would save me the trouble to bleed the brakes if I'm careful how I remove something...can somebody elaborate on that? What should I do in order to avoid air getting in?

Thanks in advance. You guys have always been helpful!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would set everything up so you have all your clearances. You'll only have about a 1/4 inch clearance from the tank lock to lock. I used a piece of tape on the bar. Set up the controls just enough to hold everything. Mark the edge of the unit on the tape and try to eyeball where the pin is on the bar. Then measure the pin from the edge of the unit and mark the same distance on the tape. I use an automatic center punch to use as a drill starter. Use a really small drill bit to make the hole. This helps to keep the location accurate. Then use the pin sized drill to finish the hole.

Your brake line from the master cylinder will have to rotate a little. Carefully loosen the bolt just enough to rotate the line and not let fluid out or air in.
Put rags under the Master to catch fluid just in case there leakage. Finish tighten everything and you should be on your way! :D

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
I would set everything up so you have all your clearances. You'll only have about a 1/4 inch clearance from the tank lock to lock. I used a piece of tape on the bar. Set up the controls just enough to hold everything. Mark the edge of the unit on the tape and try to eyeball where the pin is on the bar. Then measure the pin from the edge of the unit and mark the same distance on the tape. I use an automatic center punch to use as a drill starter. Use a really small drill bit to make the hole. This helps to keep the location accurate. Then use the pin sized drill to finish the hole.

Your brake line from the master cylinder will have to rotate a little. Carefully loosen the bolt just enough to rotate the line and not let fluid out or air in.
Put rags under the Master to catch fluid just in case there leakage. Finish tighten everything and you should be on your way! :D

Many many thanks for the clear instructions, Motogiro! You're helping me out not for the first time :) Also, I really love your headlight mod, it's the best thing I did to the bike so far!

Pimpson

Reaction score
Visit site

+1 to all. I didn't bleed the brakes when I did mine. Like he said, just barely loosen the nut enough to rotate the brake line.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Many many thanks for the clear instructions, Motogiro! You're helping me out not for the first time :) Also, I really love your headlight mod, it's the best thing I did to the bike so far!

You're more than welcome! Glad you're enjoying the headlamp mod.!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just want to add that grinding off the plastic tab approach allows you to customize the the setup by moving controls in/out as well as up and down. :D

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've done like 4 handlebar swaps this season. One of them I did in the pits at a trackday in under an hour.

No holes were drilled.

Nothing was ground off.

No brakes were bled.

Just pull everything off, put on new bar with stuff re-attached. You're not opening your brake-system and you're not routing anything through the bars itself.

^least I didn't have to

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I followed Erci on how he did his when I put my bars on. I just didnt feel comfortable drilling a hole in brand new bars.:thumbup:

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
I just want to add that grinding off the plastic tab approach allows you to customize the the setup by moving controls in/out as well as up and down. :D

Hmm, the more I read, the more I think it might just not be worth the trouble to drill a hole, and thus sacrifice possibility to customize the positioning later... I think I'm going to grind off the plastic tab. Is it just a matter of removing it completely with a file?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm, the more I read, the more I think it might just not be worth the trouble to drill a hole, and thus sacrifice possibility to customize the positioning later... I think I'm going to grind off the plastic tab. Is it just a matter of removing it completely with a file?

As Joe said, yeah.. Dremel is the easiest way to go, but file will get the job done too.

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone! Can't wait, hope I get the bars tomorrow! ...and while browsing, got another mod in mind that I hope will be able to do tomorrow: I want to loose a tooth in the front sprocket (pending availability in local bike shops of course!). Never thought I'd go into modding the bike when I got it, and now I can't stop (hence the birth of my signature with this post)

Anesi

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on Erci's approach.

Super easy, and a simple swap-over. Been riding about 10k km since the swap - zero issues. Best thing I did to my bike.

I'm sure you will love it :thumbup:

/Anesi

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I went with the drilling a new hole option to seat the throttle controls.

I spent more time than I care to admit obsessing over where the hole should go.

It will help if you pencil in a dot where you think it should be, tighten down the throttle clamp to line up with the dot, sit on the bike and adjust bars how you would like them to be. If the kill switch seems oriented properly, then the dot is in the right place.

For drilling of the hole, use a punch to make a slight indentiation so the drill bit doesn't ride off.

After you get that done, the rest is pretty easy.

Good luck. I think you will find this mod well worth the effort.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went with the drilling a new hole option to seat the throttle controls.

I spent more time than I care to admit obsessing over where the hole should go.

It will help if you pencil in a dot where you think it should be, tighten down the throttle clamp to line up with the dot, sit on the bike and adjust bars how you would like them to be. If the kill switch seems oriented properly, then the dot is in the right place.

For drilling of the hole, use a punch to make a slight indentiation so the drill bit doesn't ride off.

After you get that done, the rest is pretty easy.

Good luck. I think you will find this mod well worth the effort.
I used a punch, and then later I found out yamaha already put a little indentation close by. so then i had 2 holes LOL.

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, I am the OP of this thread. Just want to say thank you to all of you! I just installed the handlebar, and took the bike for a spin despite the pretty heavy rain outside. First impressions---I like it! I love it! It feels like a different bike! A bit sportier should I say. I can't wait to get some good weather and take it for a longer ride, so that I can see if I still get the wrist pain, but from the looks of it---I like it! The bike feels somewhat lighter and easier to fling, so I can't wait to take it to the twisties!

Btw, I used a file to remove the plastic tab. Seems to work fine, I would seriously doubt if it gives in :)

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm gonna be doing this mid within the next couple of weeks, are there any disadvantages to removing the locating pegs off the switchgears?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

DigitalOverride

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the write-up, Corsara, and to everyone who chimed in. Looks like I might have to acquire an FZ1 bar and give this one a go. Weird how it turns out, huh, I too had that whole "Nah, I'm not gonna mod this bike, it's so much better than my '96 Suzuki Bandit I'm going to be way too preoccupied".

I test rode mine, then decided to buy it, and before I'd paid for it I started ordering parts and looking at aftermarket mods. So far, I've got the Yamaha roller protectors, main stand, lower cowl, and TCP rear seat cowl ordered, and I'm looking at the FZ1 bar, new mirrors, new handles, and getting those final few shiny bits powder coated black.

Sure is a hoot to drive, though, no matter the aesthetics. Still, no matter what I do I always find that one more little thing I'd want to add...

DeusEx

Reaction score
Visit site
+2 on Eric

Nothing drilled, cut, moved or bleeded.
Just remove the old handlebar, and install the fz1-handlebar.
Fits like a glove.
Done in 10 minutes!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm gonna be doing this mid within the next couple of weeks, are there any disadvantages to removing the locating pegs off the switchgears?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

None I can think of.