install a fuel cutoff valve?

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I was reading the service manual to look into balancing the TBs when I install a 12v socket for gadgets and I noticed that it states that you need to drain the tank in order to remove it. The only other bike Ive ever pulled the tank off of was my KX80 when I was younger. My idea is to take the tank off, pinch the fuel hose, cut it, install a fuel cutoff and attach and secure. Has anyone else ever done this? Does anyone know the ID of the fuel hose? Do I even need to do this or is yamaha smokin crack? My dads beemer has QDs on his hose that stop fuel when disconnected but I dunno if my fizzer does.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can lift the tank right up on it`s hinge as well as slide it back and forth.

I would imagine if you clamp the fuel lines under the tank you can take it off without emptying it although I have never done it.

I am sure someone will have done.

Steve

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done the TB sync and installed accessory connector to battery and never had to remove tank. Just secure it in upright position using bungy to rear of seat. I do drain majority of fuel to reduce risk of leak from filler cap.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
JONAC bike when he installed his Acumen geri indicator:

watermark.php

A few of us were lucky enough to purchase some tank 'prop-rods' custom made by Fred!

watermark.php

watermark.php

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/3082-props-fuel-tank.html

Not sure if he's still making them or not. Will be trying mine out soon when I wire in a 12VDC outlet and Acumen DGV unit.

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet that seems easy enough! So Ill just ride the bike til 1 bar of fuel is left then work on it. Has anyone ran the bike with the tank up?

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You wouldn't be able to install a valve in the line, unless somehow you make that section of line above and the valve detachable with the tank. The output of the tank is solid plastic where the fuel line connects to.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Sweet that seems easy enough! So Ill just ride the bike til 1 bar of fuel is left then work on it. Has anyone ran the bike with the tank up?

Yeah, it works fine. Half a tank of fuel seems to work well for running it with the tank tilted back.

You won't be able to run the bike at all if you remove the gas tank.

Fred

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
There is no need to install a valve. The pump is inside the tank and is electric. So as long as the bike is not running or ignition on. You can simply unplug the fuel line from the tank, and the only fuel that may come out is what was left over in the fuel line before the injectors.

I got my start in offroad, spend many hours wrenching with my father on my KX's had his KTM. But then he got a Cannondale, and the world of F.I. was opened up to us. Fuel pumps replaced the work of gravity, and removed the need for fuel petcoks.

-bryan

Last edited:

Data

What town am I in?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My tank (2007) has been off several times with no leaks or problems- just be very careful in disconnecting the fuel line and remember how to re-connect it. Plan a soft place (old blanket) to set the tank on before you remove it. If you tug gently, you can remove the vent lines before removing the tank and then you won't have to figure out how to route them later. If you do pull the vent lines out with the tank, it is very important to re-install them properly so they don't get near the exhaust pipe.