Influence

Reaction score
Visit site
Who has had the greatest impact on you as a rider? This can be a pal, an author, or just anyone that said" Get on and ride!" Being a child of the 60's in So Cal while growing up I had many different people that showed me the tricks of the trade. There were movies like Easy Rider, Big Faus and Little Halsy, The Wild One. There were events, mostly dirt track or the drags. Kids in HS. Later on, I got thrills from the rags, Cycle World, ETC. Rolling Stone had Hunter S. Thompson, RIP. He documented a lot that we feared when he wrote about THE BLACK SHADOW. It still thrills me to pick up Fear And Loathing on the Campaign Trail. About the '72 Pres Election. Also Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Also Buzz Walneck should get a mention for his Classic Cycle Trader with it's reprints of old, but timely articles. But most important would be my father, who mistaken figured that I would stay out of trouble on a bike when he bought me a '68 CB160 Honda, burnt orange, in '70. It was just a different type of trouble and I'm still in it....

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm, about 15 years ago I had a co-worker and good friend who rode a Red VFR 750. We would talk bikes, and he would go on and on about his riding adventures (I road dirt bikes and go karts and mo-peds when I was a youngster but never a street bike), and I really wanted to ride, but the wife said no-way with two toddlers in the house. Fast forward 8 years, and my wife's father, all of 50-something, gets cancer and dies with-in six months. We are talking a strong-as-an-ox carpenter, citizen of the year, volunteer firefighter, and wonderful father and grandfather, just taken out by cancer. This really hit my wife hard.

A few months later, out of the blue my wife says to me, "I know you've wanted a motorcycle all these years, do you still want one?” The death of her father made her realize that you only go around once, and at any time you might be taken. Within a month I passed my MSF course, and was riding a black naked SV650. Turns out all the time she really liked the thought of riding too, and loves riding pillion, but just thought it was too irresponsible. Along the way, I also go my pilot’s license as well. Nothing like living dangerously! :thumbup:

So I would say my wife, and VFR friend were my big influences.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Who has had the greatest impact on you as a rider? This can be a pal, an author, or just anyone that said" Get on and ride!" Being a child of the 60's in So Cal while growing up I had many different people that showed me the tricks of the trade. There were movies like Easy Rider, Big Faus and Little Halsy, The Wild One. There were events, mostly dirt track or the drags. Kids in HS. Later on, I got thrills from the rags, Cycle World, ETC. Rolling Stone had Hunter S. Thompson, RIP. He documented a lot that we feared when he wrote about THE BLACK SHADOW. It still thrills me to pick up Fear And Loathing on the Campaign Trail. About the '72 Pres Election. Also Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Also Buzz Walneck should get a mention for his Classic Cycle Trader with it's reprints of old, but timely articles. But most important would be my father, who mistaken figured that I would stay out of trouble on a bike when he bought me a '68 CB160 Honda, burnt orange, in '70. It was just a different type of trouble and I'm still in it....
There are three people who had an influence on me and riding (is that allowed).

First was Barry Sheen (I know its cliché) watching the 1976 - 77 GP's as a child were phenomenal. He was not the most talented rider on the track nor the quickest. He had tenacity and I respected that.
The second was a rider before my time. Mike the "bike" Hailwood is also another hero. I learned about Hailwood from my father and by reading his auto biography. Hailwood was an unconventional rider who didn't believe in hanging off the bike but had amazing natural ability and speed. A very humble man who after pulling a driver from a burning car failed to mention the feat to his wife (who later found out on the news). Such was Hailwoods natural ability he came out of retirement to win the Ilse of Man TT.
Finally my father has been my biggest influence. An honest back street mechanic, he drag raced at the weekend on "Purple Panic". As kids we were a pretty skint family but my father was ingenious at making presents for us. One X-mas when money was tight my father gave my older brother and I the top end of a morris minor engine. It was polished and painted with red and white enamel. He also gave us some of his old tools in a tool roll. My brother and I spent hours taking the engine apart. On our birthday he made us a cycle sidecar outfit. It was the best bike in the neighborhood, I Learned about cornering on that thing. My father also encourage my riding and taught me to be safe.

Thanks Dad

Nelly

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting to hear JohnP mention the VFR 750, because my introduction to motorcycles was from a buddy who owned a white, red and blue VFR 750 in absolutely beautiful condition.

He wanted me learn to ride and get a bike. So, he let me try it in an empty parking lot. When I came to a stop, I lost my balance and dropped it on it's left side. He never asked me to ride it again. Imagine that!

That was in 1990. Well, the hook had been set. I had fallen in love with street bikes. I did lots and lots of research, with an emphasis on a first bike that I wouldn't get bored of, and that wasn't too expensive. My choice, the Kawasaki EX500. My problem, I didn't have the money, and wouldn't have it until 2004.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Probably Evel Knievel was the start of my motorcycle curiosity. Then I got into motogp and was amazed at what Kenny Roberts and Barry Sheene could do on a bike. I knew I'd have motorcycles in my life after 11 years old. :D

Evil_Knievel

Reaction score
Visit site
Probably Evel Knievel was the start of my motorcycle curiosity. Then I got into motogp and was amazed at what Kenny Roberts and Barry Sheene could do on a bike. I knew I'd have motorcycles in my life after 11 years old. :D

Right on dude:rockon:!!!!! I remember having the little Evil Knievel wind up motor cycle toy with the ramp, I jumped that little thing off everything I could climb up on... I wish I still had that thing, after his demise:bow::bow: (RIP EVIL) that things probably worth a fortune now...