indicator relay?

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Fitting new indicators today and all was going fine until I wired the last and turned the ignition on.No indicators :(
The indicators work when I arm and disarm the alarm,but no hazards or indys.
I've checked the fuses and they're fine,so could I have blown the relay some how? My multi meter is bust,so its a bit of guess work.

Cheers
Daz.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
No just bulb ones.I'm waiting for an led relay to come.
3 indicators were working fine and I taped them all up neatly as I was going along,then my little boy distracted me and I forgot the colours on the last 1 and guessed :spank: after that it didn't work.......:(

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the alarm hooked up to the directional filament in the front or the running light filament in the front? The reason I ask is that if the alarm is connected to the indicator filaments on the front and the back and you see the front and back lights come on at arm/dis-arm then you probably haven't reversed a ground.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the alarm hooked up to the directional filament in the front or the running light filament in the front? The reason I ask is that if the alarm is connected to the indicator filaments on the front and the back and you see the front and back lights come on at arm/dis-arm then you probably haven't reversed a ground.

Spot on,thank you fella :thumbup:

Exactly what happens!
What have I done and more importantly,how do I fix it? :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well if all fuses look good I would suspect a bad load combination that the relay doesn't like. Try taking out a front lamp on each side and see if it flashes. If it does then you may have to change the flasher relay. I personally have never seen one do this but.....

Actually....There is a circuit that swaps the ground on the flasher circuit so the lamps may work with a swapped ground for signal. Best thing is get a 12volt test light and un-wire and establish. Ground one side of the test light and establish which wire lights the test light. This way you eliminate the the possible ground reversal.

I'm headed out to dinner but when I return I'll try to come up with the wire color code to help you make sure....

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay...Hopefully these colors are the same on all years of our bikes and if not, you'll just have to stab wires with a test light.

Left front turn signal with running light. That's two filament per bulb in the front.
Chocolate colored wire= turn signal filament.
Blue with a red tracer colored wire= running light filament.
Black wire= Ground or negative.

Right front turn signal with running light.
Dark green colored wire= turn signal filament.
Blue colored wire= running light filament.

Left rear turn signal.
Chocolate colored wire= turn signal filament.

Right rear turn signal.
Dark green colored wire= turn signal filament.

Hope this helps!