I'm confused....

SergeantG1

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I consider myself to be a pretty mechanically inclined person. However, I also no that I am not an electrician, especially when it comes to the wiring on cars and motorcycles.

I want to do the headlight mod (both on with low beam), and I'd also eventually like to do the HID conversion. I've just read so many threads on headlight mods that I now have a headache.

Should I even bother with the dual headlights now? Or should I just keep running the high beams until I switch to the Xenon lights?

Does anyone have a good "how to" for HID conversion?

Thanks for the help, and sorry for being a moron. I'm just nervous about screwing up the electrical system. I could be the first person to ever be electrocuted while screwing with the headlights. Can see the news headlines now.

Also, I'm thinking about the airbox mod. Is everyone still kinda split on this one? How does it affect the gas mileage?

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I consider myself to be a pretty mechanically inclined person. However, I also no that I am not an electrician, especially when it comes to the wiring on cars and motorcycles.

I want to do the headlight mod (both on with low beam), and I'd also eventually like to do the HID conversion. I've just read so many threads on headlight mods that I now have a headache.

Should I even bother with the dual headlights now? Or should I just keep running the high beams until I switch to the Xenon lights?

Does anyone have a good \"how to\" for HID conversion?

Thanks for the help, and sorry for being a moron. I'm just nervous about screwing up the electrical system. I could be the first person to ever be electrocuted while screwing with the headlights. Can see the news headlines now.

Also, I'm thinking about the airbox mod. Is everyone still kinda split on this one? How does it affect the gas mileage?

I've done both the dual headlight mod and an HID conversion. You have to ask yourself how you want the bike to be setup in the end. If you plan to keep the reflective headlights (not projectors), you'll likely want the dual headlight mod and the HIDs since you can do a bixenon setup on the right (H4) headlight. This allows you to keep both the high/low function of the right headlight. Left headlight would remain low beam only.

As for wiring the HIDs. Most are "plug-and-play" style. This means it has a plug that matches the headlight plug on the bike that simply plugs into it as a power source for the relay. The HIDs also plug directly into your battery terminals for power and ground. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward stuff.

Useful Information:
Left Headlight: H7 bulb, but has an H4 wiring harness. Whomever you buy the HIDs from will need to know this discrepancy.
Right Headlight: H4 bulb, H4 wiring harness.

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
Useful Information:
Left Headlight: H7 bulb, but has an H4 wiring harness. Whomever you buy the HIDs from will need to know this discrepancy.
Right Headlight: H4 bulb, H4 wiring harness.

which is left and which is right... i mean is that from where u are sitting on the bike or looking at the headlights from the left ?

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
ok thanks wrightme... now with all this being said... if i buy two h7's they will both jsut slide right in ? also does anyone know what kind of bulbs the ones are that have that flickering effect when u hit a bump... they seem to be bright and draw attention to the bike because of the flickering