Ignition Switch Wiring

spencerk73

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, new to the forum, nice to meet everyone!
Ok, I've had my FZ6 since April. I love this bike, it has given me zero problems in the 4000 miles I've put on it. I upgraded from a Ninja 250 and couldn't get off this thing. Anyways, here's my issue. I was leaving work last week, I started the bike and began backing up, as soon as I was about to put it in gear, it died and said P19. So I try messing with it, but it won't enable the fuel system, so all it did was crank. Luckily my job had a big unused room I could wheel it into for a day or so. I did some investigating and found P19 had to do with the kickstand switch, but most people said it had nothing to do with it and was more of a wire/ecu issue. I spend probably 5 hours tracing wires up from the kickstand switch and deciphering wiring diagrams, everything looks good. I put it in diagnostic mode to see if the bike would register a change to the sensor. I've all but given up when I decide to just try moving some wiring bundles up front. I jiggle the loom going to the master ignition switch (where the key goes) and it shows a change for a second. I grab some duct tape and get the wires to hold for my 2 mile ride home. I got it home and it looks like I isolated the issue to the connection in the ignition switch, specifically the wire that goes to the ECU. Only problem is, getting the switch out. It is riveted or something like that for theft deterrent. Then what? Replace it or fix it (seems the wires going into the back of it are loose somewhere inside it)? I just put new tires on this thing and want to ride before winter. Thanks for any help/guidance.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our awesome family!

Sounds like you are on the right track and have some experience in the area of trouble shooting and repair. I would also check to make sure the wire going down the sheath doesn't have an intermittent so that when you wiggle them, it has the same effect.

I've mailed you some additional information. :)

spencerk73

Reaction score
Visit site
That is exactly what I needed, Thanks! I've been working off of bits and pieces. This is my first time troubleshooting any real electrical problems. Actually my Camaro's security system decided to kill the fuel injectors 2 days after this happened, but that's for another forum lol

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re removing the switch:

You have to pull the handlebars, etc off the top triple tree (so the the TT is isolated)-bike supported just so the front wheel is barely touching the ground.

Once the upper TT is off, flip it over and you'll have access to the lower part of the switch. Should you need the switch removed, there's two security bolts holding it on. You can slid the triple back over the fork legs for support, then drill the heads off the bolts. The switch will then slide off.

Remove whats left of the bolts with a vise grip(they'll be two long studs left).

For re-installation, you can either use SS allen head bolts with locktite or buy the original Yamaha bolts that will shear off when it reaches a certain amount of torque.

I believe the switch is similar to the FJR and should come apart. Certain FJR's had a bad soldier joint (inside the switch) from the factory. It was re-called from the factory but some of the guys pulled the switch apart and found the bad spot.

FYI: http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//inde...ys/?hl=+ignition++switch++failure#entry972433 (POST #18 specifically)

With your description, I'd suspect, as you do, the wire is bad right at the switch.

BTW, with the re-called ignition switches, Yamaha (after a bunch of bitching) started re-keying the new replacement switch to match the original key to the bike so that can be done if needed.

I believe that harness plus in to the main harness under the battery box.

Here's a "How to" for the FJR ignition switch which should be very similar to your bike: http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=108089

Please post a pic of what you find.

Last edited:

spencerk73

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, sorry about not updating. I got the front fairing off last week,
jsKjO7P.jpg

then I drilled out the bottom two bolts in the ignition. As soon as I pulled the ignitinon switch down I saw the issue.
NSTPZUD.jpg

That little bastard blue wire broke.
MsiCdAD.jpg

After looking through the FSM, it looks like a zip tie broke allowing the ignition wire to move independent of the front fork. I re-soldered the connection and put a new zip tie on and it should be good to go! Too bad winter is right around the corner.
Thanks for the help guys, I got it put back together and she runs fine. Now just have to get her ready to winterize.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent!

You do know someone already swapped out the ignition switch (or cut it out literally) as there's after market connectors right there.

The original harness would have run all the way down under the tank before it attached to the main harness.. Were the factory, "headless" bolts gone already?

spencerk73

Reaction score
Visit site
You think so? They were weird connections I've never seen before.You couldn't unhook them. The headless bolts were all intact and it looked like nothing had been touched. Ignition is the standard Yamaha ignition.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You think so? They were weird connections I've never seen before.You couldn't unhook them. The headless bolts were all intact and it looked like nothing had been touched. Ignition is the standard Yamaha ignition.

They could have re-installed the new switch (or cut the wires and re-wired it, who knows) and used the headless bolts. You can get them from Yamaha, torque to spec and the heads break off, just like stock.

Those connectors should NOT be there and are definitly NOT stock. The switch harness plugs into the MAIN harness deep under the tank...

If its working, that's fine, just makes it a little easier for some one to cut those wires, wire in another switch quickly and be off with your bike...:(