Ignition Key hard to turn/Insert

B

bluenova

Never heard of Graphite. I use WD40, I spray a good coating on the key and then push it in and out about 30 times.

sPin0011

Just a bloke
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny you should bring the subject up. I've got a 08 model and the key is very hard to insert and turn. I was a bit nervous using anything and it was too hard for the dumba** dealer to sort so I'll try the graphite. Thanks!

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
My '08 has the same problem - very hard to get the key inserted but I don't really have issues turning it once its in.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
i find graphite creates a layer that can bind very small tolerances. I had a problem with it sticking and I use penetrating white grease from a can.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there anything wrong with using Lithium base grease with the key hole? I use the synthetic Mobil 1 grease and I dont seem to have any problems with the key at all.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
whenever i take apart a lock cylinder they always have grease on the tumblers. thats why I used the stuff i did. since im not going to take apart the cylinder i just spray it in, the carrier evaporates and left behind is white grease. worked for me.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My '08 has some issues and I also switched to the backup key. It's still not entirely right though. Maybe we all need to question Yamaha about it and when enough of us do, maybe they will rectify it?

chickwebb

Reaction score
Visit site
Never heard of Graphite. I use WD40, I spray a good coating on the key and then push it in and out about 30 times.

WD-40 is not a lubricant (common misconception). Lithium Grease and oil will attract dirt, which eventually will cause all manner of troubles. Graphite mixed with a little water/oil is essentially dirt.

Why not just use Silicon spray? It's hydrophobic (good for those of you that live where water actually falls from the sky - what's that about?!), clean, and has always worked wonders for me. Just lubed the VFR tonight in fact, and it's 100% better. Joe Bob sez, "Check it out." :thumbup:

B

bluenova

WD-40 is not a lubricant (common misconception). Lithium Grease and oil will attract dirt, which eventually will cause all manner of troubles. Graphite mixed with a little water/oil is essentially dirt.

Why not just use Silicon spray? It's hydrophobic (good for those of you that live where water actually falls from the sky - what's that about?!), clean, and has always worked wonders for me. Just lubed the VFR tonight in fact, and it's 100% better. Joe Bob sez, \"Check it out.\" :thumbup:

Thanks for your input chickwebb. I'm a bit confused though as to why WD-40 advertise their product for lubricating locks then?

From the WD-40 website:
WD-40 said:
What does WD-40 do?

WD-40 fulfills five basic functions:
1. CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape and excess bonding material.
2. DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
3. PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
4. LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
5. PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

And from their list of 2000+ uses:
WD-40 said:
Lubricates key holes

sunanuus

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine did the same thing - the dealer lost the original keys and had a set made from the key ID number.

I bought a replacement set on ebay and had a local locksmith cut them. It is very important to "polish" the edges of the cut (almost like beveling the edge) with a light wire wheel (the locksmith should do this). The cut edge should not feel sharp.

They work very well now...

i just need the info that if you have a black key and you cut a blank key for 2007 fz6 will it work?

expatmanxman

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine's an 07 and the same just happened yesterday. Put some WD40 on the key and gave it a few pulls in and out, sorted for now. Going to get some graphite for longer term solution

PipBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've already BENT one key..... not on the ignition (although it looks dented too). I don't even know how it happened, but I think I might have unlocked the helmet lock by accident and wondered why I couldn't lift off the seat. I likely forced it too much and bent the key. Later I noticed it when it wouldn't fit into the ignition.

Another Winter project - get new key made.

I bent mine while adjusting the rear preload :banghead: Have to remember to remove it from the seat lock next time

Last edited:

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
my ignition is fine, but my gas cap has started having issues.

since this thread is old enough i'm guessing some of you have had time to find out what works. what has worked and what hasn't?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
from what i can gather, silicone lube is the best, as it won't gunge your lock up, and will repell water

that's what i used anyway, and it's helped a bit