Identity Theft!!!???

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
- My grandma remembers more on the phone call with "me" she now remembers "me" saying Hello and her asking "Chris?" and "I" replied yes, so that is the only way it I was involved.

- The "attorney" called 5 minutes after "I" did and said all conformed everything "I" said, and the "attorney" asked to whos name it was being sent to and how to spell it.. (So they probably just made up a quick ID then with that name on it)

So now it seems like I am in the clear and really they just got completely taken..

Sounds like a more or less random "attack" with no previous knowledge about your or them. Scammers probably just dial numbers, if an older sounding person answers, just say "Grandma?" or Grandpa?" and go from there.

Sure sounds like it ought to be a crime.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this. I'm glad that your relationship with your grandparents is back on track. That is the most important thing, IMHO. I do hope they can get some answers/restitution, or at least help keep other people from being scammed like this.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A simple scam causing massive damage to families.....seem's to me to be just about the most EVIL crime i've ever heard of.....using the love of family to Rob the elderly of their saving's......Just plain and simple pure evil....... :(

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am not sure which police agency you are dealing with, but Identity Theft is a crime in all 50 states in the US can't speak for Canada. You and your grandfather ARE VICTIMS , he for Theft(by Deception) and you (Identity theft) If your local agency will not help , contact IC3, Internet Crime (FBI) I work with them frequently with Identity Theft cases.

Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
No offense to your grandparents and I'm sure they're good people

but...there's a reason scammers go after old people!

My friends grandmother called his parents once and accused him of driving behind her and honking at her. He was 200 miles away at the time. But his parents and grandmother still think it was him.

That sucks and I hope you get it all straightened up. Sucks for your grandparents too :(

Edit: I just remembered about a scam story I read about where a young guy actually went to mexico and turned his phone off to avoid roaming charges, and the scammers did a cold call(what they call randomly calling people and trying to scam them) to the guys mother and said he was injured in mexico and they needed a huge deposit to pay for a medevac. She tried calling her son but his phone was off so she sent the money anyways.

Last edited:

H3LR4ZR

Insomniac
Reaction score
brhelwig.com
hmmm.... was looking for information on my rights as a vendor who was defrauded by a bad check stumbled upon this.

apparently this whole senario is quite common. first link is a mp3 PSA about it.
Consumer Protection