I yearn for an FZ6!

RossW

Reaction score
Visit site
Weeks have gone by and I've driving myself crazy looking for an FZ6! After sitting on one at the MotoGP race in laguna seca, I've been searching craigslist for my soon to be FZ6 everyday in the morning, evening, and even sometimes at work! I constantly search any neaby counties from where I live, and from the handful of FZ6's that come up, there always seems to be a problem! Salvaged titles (really salvaged, like taken a huge beating), drops, high miles... you name it.

I live in Los Banos, CA (near the fresno area) incase anyone hears of any bikes popping up. My dream FZ6 would be a 05-07 model under 10k miles, a blue one (not TOO picky on color I guess :p) no drops, and no mechanical problems. I'm working with about $4000 in cash, give or take a few hundred.

Dang I just want one so bad! After just getting my M1 license, I'm ready to ride. I have been considering the Suzuki SV650 or even an R6 (although though whole reason I fell in love with the FZ6 was for the comfort and the comparable power to the R6!)....

Do you guys think $4000 is dreaming for my criteria? Seems like most FZ6's I see on craigslist with my selection runs about $5500

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you check out the "bikes/parts for sale" part of the Forum? Good luck in your quest!

MyFirstBike

Reaction score
Visit site
Your not dreaming high at all my friend...

I found a great buy off an MSF Instructor.

06 Red Fz6 w/ 4580miles on it, Excellent condition, excellent mechanical, tons of extras included also... All for $3800. Now i did have to however take an 1.5hr drive...to get it.. but it was worth it..

Good luck on your treasure hunt and be sure to really look hard on craigslist.. I was in your shoes and i literally didnt stop searching for 2 or 3 weeks every morning afternoon and night...

PEACE

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Weeks have gone by and I've driving myself crazy looking for an FZ6! After sitting on one at the MotoGP race in laguna seca, I've been searching craigslist for my soon to be FZ6 everyday in the morning, evening, and even sometimes at work! I constantly search any neaby counties from where I live, and from the handful of FZ6's that come up, there always seems to be a problem! Salvaged titles (really salvaged, like taken a huge beating), drops, high miles... you name it.

I live in Los Banos, CA (near the fresno area) incase anyone hears of any bikes popping up. My dream FZ6 would be a 05-07 model under 10k miles, a blue one (not TOO picky on color I guess :p) no drops, and no mechanical problems. I'm working with about $4000 in cash, give or take a few hundred.

Dang I just want one so bad! After just getting my M1 license, I'm ready to ride. I have been considering the Suzuki SV650 or even an R6 (although though whole reason I fell in love with the FZ6 was for the comfort and the comparable power to the R6!)....

Do you guys think $4000 is dreaming for my criteria? Seems like most FZ6's I see on craigslist with my selection runs about $5500

Good luck man. $4k might be a little low, but keep your eyes open. You never know what will happen. Someone might need some fast money or be moving and let one go for a great price. It helps to have time and patience in a case like this.

There is a bike that just went up for sale here in San Jose (about an hour and a half North of you) that looks like it's in excellent condition, but it's $5500. I know that's out of your price range, but a miracle might happen. Here's the classified thread: http://www.600riders.com/forum/bikes-parts-sale/18549-fs-2007-fz-6-blue-goodies-v-g-condition-san-jose-ca.html

You should join our Nor Cal group and get together for rides with us when you get your bike. Good luck!!

RossW

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I saw the San Jose listing! I'm hoping the owner will want to part with the accessories (such as the GPS system), and then maybe I can negotiate a price.

I also just found this FZ6 on craigslist...

2006 Yamaha FZ6

It's decently near me, the bike has minor fairing damage, so I'm thinking I could maybe talk him down a couple hundred. It has 12k miles... what's considered "a lot" of miles on an FZ6?

RossW

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I saw that listing! I'm hoping the owner is willing to sell the GPS seperately, maybe then I can talk the price down (quite a bit!).

I also just saw this ad of a 2006 FZ6 in atascadero, it looks pretty nice! Minor fairing damage, and 12k miles. What's considered "a lot" of miles for an FZ6?

2006 Yamaha FZ6

sycamoredave

Reaction score
Visit site
To some extent, you have to decide how picky you are, and how far you are willing to travel for a deal. I have an '05 with 15k on it, and if you can get used to the funky guage cluster, and get the tall windscreen, you can save some bucks and still tear up the road in comfort. Mechanically they are same same. I always seem happiest when I go for the oldest, lowest mileage bikes within my target range. In terms of the distance, the best vacation I EVER had was going half way across the country to buy a bike and riding it home. Expand your horizons!

Ride safe...;)
Dave

fxclm5

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a blue 06, 23xxx miles, been down once, low speed lowside, frame slider saved eveything except the crank case - its rashed up, im asking $3700 obo, bike has alot of upgrades including a full R6S fork/caliper conversion complete with new EBC HH pads and Galfer Stainless Lines.

Clean title in hand, just picked up a k9 750 so no unreasonable offers will be refused. Thanks

Last edited:

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Weeks have gone by and I've driving myself crazy looking for an FZ6! After sitting on one at the MotoGP race in laguna seca, I've been searching craigslist for my soon to be FZ6 everyday in the morning, evening, and even sometimes at work!

Have you tried Search Tempest?
rockon.gif

You tell the search engine how far away from home you want to search and it will drill through all the Craigslist sites in a given state(s) etc. It will also check eBay too.

You can also be notified when a bike matches your parameters using RSS updates.

Fred

earthdaddy

Reaction score
Visit site
Look on Craigslist.

I just picked up an '04 with 13k miles for $3,200 and the guy threw in a ton of gear with it too. And there were others available that meet all of your criteria for around $4k

From what I have seen the west coast had better deals in general than here in the mid-west, so I don't think you are being unrealistic at all.

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
If you have that much cash, can you qualify for Yamaha financing? If so, just put down cash and charge the rest. Get a fresh new one in the color you want!

RossW

Reaction score
Visit site
Rider1a, thanks for that link! I was hoping there was something like that... I always found myself checking every county in california and searching for an FZ6 daily... took quite some time!

Moses, I was definitely considering that. But at my age (soon turning 20) I don't have a credit score built up yet, and I have a feeling my parents would have to cosign in order for me to get financing. Doesn't the dealership make you buy full coverage insurance when you finance? If thats the case, I'm not sure if I would be able to make the payments months down the road (in september I go back to college, and won't have a "real" job guaranteed). I would rather get a bike I can just pay for all upfront I guess.

RossW

Reaction score
Visit site
Was it a private message? I didn't seem to get anything new?

Does anyone have anything to say about the sv650s by suzuki? How does a V-twin compare to an inline 4 like the FZ6?
I've noticed the sv650s is significantly cheaper on craigslist. How about the kawasaki 650r?

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Was it a private message? I didn't seem to get anything new?

Does anyone have anything to say about the sv650s by suzuki? How does a V-twin compare to an inline 4 like the FZ6?
I've noticed the sv650s is significantly cheaper on craigslist. How about the kawasaki 650r?

It is a visitor message. Click on your name at the top right where it says Welcome, then look at visitor messages below.