I want dual headlights!!!

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
I am so tired of people telling my one of my lights are out... DAMN YOU!! Yamaha

anyways I have read the forums and it seems like all I have to do is find a green wire going to my left headlight strip it, and connect it to a wire connector on the right headlight. but no one has posted any pics nor says what size wires and connectors to use. Can anyone help me who has done this mod?

fenderfreek

Reaction score
Visit site
I am so tired of people telling my one of my lights are out... DAMN YOU!! Yamaha

anyways I have read the forums and it seems like all I have to do is find a green wire going to my left headlight strip it, and connect it to a wire connector on the right headlight. but no one has posted any pics nor says what size wires and connectors to use. Can anyone help me who has done this mod?

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/1663-bd43s-07-headlight-mod-part-1-a.html
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/1666-bd43s-07-headlight-mod-part-2-a.html

fenderfreek

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you are referring to the "Gand" mod, which is not a safe way to do it. For reference, it is here:
Gand's simple FZ6 Dual Headlight mod

It is not a good idea to do it this way because you are drawing more power through the circuit than the wiring was designed to handle. It is better to do a relay setup like Tcmalker did if you are really not into digging under the tank, but BD43's is the most simplistic, correct way to do it.

Last edited:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
BD43's way is very easy. It looks daunting, but it's easier than it looks. I didn't even remove the battery tray. I just pulled the air box, slid the tray back just enough to fish out the harness. I then pulled the wire that's needed out, clipped off the pin, and used a butt connector to join it with some 14AWG wire, and then routed it over to the headlight, where I attached an H4 connector/pin, and done! Seriously, it took all of 30 minutes, and that was taking my time. And once it's done, it's done for good. Works perfectly and no issues. :thumbup:

EDIT : I meant to say BD43's mod, not tcmalkers! LOL!!

Last edited:

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
Tcmalker's way is very easy. It looks daunting, but it's easier than it looks. I didn't even remove the battery tray. I just pulled the air box, slid the tray back just enough to fish out the harness. I then pulled the wire that's needed out, clipped off the pin, and used a butt connector to join it with some 14AWG wire, and then routed it over to the headlight, where I attached an H4 connector/pin, and done! Seriously, it took all of 30 minutes, and that was taking my time. And once it's done, it's done for good. Works perfectly and no issues. :thumbup:

How is Tcmlker's and MD43's different?

Sparkybean

Reaction score
Visit site
It's all about the BD43 method IMO. Don't you love your bike enough to not do it the most correct way? It's how the bike was designed to be wired only some new law said 2 headlights can look like a car that is a long way away so they ditched one light. I used this method on both my FZS600 and FZ6, I did not buy his harness I just made one myself from some bits from a local electrical shop and modified them by literally bending them with pliers. I have zero electrical knowledge but managed with the fantastic photos posted on this very forum. You will thank yourself afterwards when you admire your handy work and know you did it properly. I didn't want to lose a high beam or worse, know that I was overloading my circuits. Oh and I went one better, I added a simple bullet connector on the wire near to the bulb so I can unplug it come vehicle inspection time. Because in the uk I know it wouldn't pass with this mod.

Last edited:

ansaguy

Reaction score
Visit site
I can only speak to BD43's mod. It seems a correct way to wire the bike, and he also makes a very very professional looking wire with the connections and wrapping if you're not interested in making it yourself. It came with instructions which, in addition to his thread, provided perfect instructions. Very professional. I know nothing about bikes, and the only pain in the butt was going to the depot to get a 10mm metric socket. It's a great mod, and surprisingly easy. I've noticed a whole lot of improvement at night on top of not being told a light is out all the time.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can only speak to BD43's mod. It seems a correct way to wire the bike, and he also makes a very very professional looking wire with the connections and wrapping if you're not interested in making it yourself. It came with instructions which, in addition to his thread, provided perfect instructions. Very professional. I know nothing about bikes, and the only pain in the butt was going to the depot to get a 10mm metric socket. It's a great mod, and surprisingly easy. I've noticed a whole lot of improvement at night on top of not being told a light is out all the time.

+1 This was the first mod I did, and it is much easier than the very thorough instructions indicate. You will not be sorry.

Caesar

Reaction score
Visit site
well I decided to do his mod and I took the airbox out and batter just to see how hard it was and its easy like everyone says... my only problem now is the cable... I dont think I can make a good cable like he did. Do you guys know if he sells cables? or someone else who can make me one?

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well I decided to do his mod and I took the airbox out and batter just to see how hard it was and its easy like everyone says... my only problem now is the cable... I dont think I can make a good cable like he did. Do you guys know if he sells cables? or someone else who can make me one?

PM BD43 and see if he's still selling his wiring set up. It's a clean, professional job and super easy to do. After frame sliders it was the first mod I did and a "must do" IMO. Good luck! :thumbup:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the Motogiro mod with a relay, pretty easy and he did a great job with the instructions. With the relay it is done correctly and the high beam works properly as well.

Road down to Sarasota, FL a few days ago and the lights were great at night in the rain. Nice to have the dual low beams and a bright that really worked as well. Going back tomorrow and will probable have some more night riding as it's 600 miles home.

Last edited:

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
BD43 mod is very easy and a huge plus. I went on a trip with some friends and they all said they could always know it was me dragging up the rear because of my lights.

Thanks BD43 for unlocking this mystery.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Always found it curious why Yamaha wired the FZ6 to have only one light on in lo beam mode yet the bigger FZ1 has both lights on in lo beam mode. Similar design and style, so if the FZ1 has both on why not the FZ6? Two is the way to go.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Always found it curious why Yamaha wired the FZ6 to have only one light on in lo beam mode yet the bigger FZ1 has both lights on in lo beam mode. Similar design and style, so if the FZ1 has both on why not the FZ6? Two is the way to go.

It was probably a way to keep cost down for a product aimed at a particular market/demographic. Since the headlights are so close together it may not be an DOT issue but in fact having the other low beam on not only looks better but adds safety factor and provides better light at night for the rider.

I did a write up and built a kit to solve this on any bike that has the same H4/H7 where it does not utilize the existing low beam filament present in the H4 lamp.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/37355-universal-head-lamp-conversion-relay.html

I've seen other bikes with the same one headlamp out configuration. The kit also works with single headlamp conversions Like the VS2 that uses a 35 watt H4 lamp. I seen a few complaints about less efficient light from the 35 watt lamps they use. You can use the standard 55 watt H4 as long as you switch off the low beam.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
My bad, I edited my post. I meant to say it was BD43's mod, not tcmalkers that I used. Don't know why I typed tcmalker. D'oh! :banghead:

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
I did Motogiro's kit because I didn't want to go fishing under the airbox and battery. All the work is under the inner fairing. Quick, easy, relatively inexpensive and attains proper functionality.

I feel so much better with both lights.

Joe