I think I might need a bigger bike...

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
I appreciate all the replies! I don't know why but I haven't thought of the FZ1 as a tourer, it would fit the bill nicely though.

Skrapiron

Mr. Know-It-All
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking maybe add a tooth to the front sprocket to get the revs down if you do a lot of highway speed.

Or maybe you need a cruiser. I use mine for long trips.

I've done both... First, I got a cruiser. Big mistake. It's like going from a thoroughbred to a lame mule. Seriously. The FZ6 is light and has crisp, predictable handling. The cruiser is an unwieldy piece of farm equipment with marginal brakes.

That left the front sprocket. I added one tooth to the front sprocket and the bike was transformed. It no longer has the head snapping acceleration that it did last December when it was new, but in its place, I can cruise all day at 80mph in 6th gear and be taching just above 4500rpm. The vibration is gone and the engine is just loafing. Best of all, I am now consistently getting 48mpg on the express way, at speed. A new sprocket is MUCH cheaper than a new bike....

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
The FJR would be a heck of a good choice and much better for long distance riding.

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done both... First, I got a cruiser. Big mistake. It's like going from a thoroughbred to a lame mule. Seriously. The FZ6 is light and has crisp, predictable handling. The cruiser is an unwieldy piece of farm equipment with marginal brakes.

That left the front sprocket. I added one tooth to the front sprocket and the bike was transformed. It no longer has the head snapping acceleration that it did last December when it was new, but in its place, I can cruise all day at 80mph in 6th gear and be taching just above 4500rpm. The vibration is gone and the engine is just loafing. Best of all, I am now consistently getting 48mpg on the express way, at speed. A new sprocket is MUCH cheaper than a new bike....

I've done the cruiser thing too, not my bag. I didn't know another tooth on the front sprocket made that much of a difference. I will give it a run.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice. I make a 50 mile highway cruise fairly regularly and it seems to keep the bike @ 6 to 7K. Right in the 'vibrate the hell out of my feet and hands' range. Maybe dropping the gearing a bit will take me out of it. I actually dropped down to 4th for @ 10 minutes the other day to kick the RPM's up to 10K or so and give my hands / feet a break.

I've noticed this on my 06 too. The vibrations and I get my hands going numb from time to time. It sucks more when it's my right hand that goes numb. I've been meaning to get the grip puppies, it's just one of those things.

I've thought about getting an FZ1 for touring and just because I wouldn't mind a bigger bike. It's on my wish list right after the grip puppies. :p

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
i think that even if you get the biggest bike on the world after some time you will still think that you might need a bigger bike :)

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I have ridden about 1200 miles in 47 hours (STL to Dallas and back to deliver the FZ6 Pony Express bag) and was surprised how well I felt when I got back. In fact, I didn't even go home, but went and played softball for a couple of hours.

We did 785 miles in the first 23 hours (stl to springfield,mo - night stop then to Dallas and out to Texarkana) and felt ok to keep riding but decided we would stop for the night.

When I wear out these sprockets I'll possibly go +1 in the front as well in order to improve high speed fuel economy but I usually tour at 80-90mph so vibes aren't a problem. I do use a throttle boss to help with hand numbness though.

edski

Reaction score
Visit site
keeping it upwards of 8 and 9k RPMs for hours at a stretch just seems mean!

The redline on my 2008 is 14k, so 8-9k is just about 2/3 of the way, a walk in the park for this motor.

Besides, I find that on a long trip, I have to stop for gas just about every two hours, so the engine gets a little rest every stop.