I think I might need a bigger bike...

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
I've found that I tend towards more long hauls on the FZ6 then short spirited runs. Don't get me wrong, I love the twisties, but living 8 hours from my family and driving to NC (from CT) a few times a year to visit friends is alot on the ol' fizzer. I know the engine is made for it but keeping it upwards of 8 and 9k RPMs for hours at a streth just seems mean! I am leaning towards the FJR, any opinions??

P.S. - I now have a truck that I haul the bike in on lonnngggg hauls but still prefer touring...

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've found that I tend towards more long hauls on the FZ6 then short spirited runs. Don't get me wrong, I love the twisties, but living 8 hours from my family and driving to NC (from CT) a few times a year to visit friends is alot on the ol' fizzer. I know the engine is made for it but keeping it upwards of 8 and 9k RPMs for hours at a streth just seems mean! I am leaning towards the FJR, any opinions??

P.S. - I now have a truck that I haul the bike in on lonnngggg hauls but still prefer touring...

With my shorter gearing, my FZ is never really lower than about 8000rpm, while touring, and i have done about 15000km's of touring on my fizzer, and it loves it....

I know a guy who had his FZ6 pinned at 12000rpm in top gear for about 200km's once, and the bike never flinched...awesome, strong motor...just keep good, clean oil in it, and i reckon you will be right!

:thumbup:

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
With my shorter gearing, my FZ is never really lower than about 8000rpm, while touring, and i have done about 15000km's of touring on my fizzer, and it loves it....

I know a guy who had his FZ6 pinned at 12000rpm in top gear for about 200km's once, and the bike never flinched...awesome, strong motor...just keep good, clean oil in it, and i reckon you will be right!

It does make me feel better, and hell, the bike is made for riding! If I didn't want to run it I would keep it in the garage for life. Dang I love this bike though! An FJR might be an addition... hmmmmm

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It does make me feel better, and hell, the bike is made for riding! If I didn't want to run it I would keep it in the garage for life. Dang I love this bike though! An FJR might be an addition... hmmmmm

I was actually quite amazed at how well the FZ6 tours when i first got it...40000km's later, the engine feels better than it did when i got the thing!

And it goes real well 2 up too...

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1 is what you need dude. I reckon the FJR is too different to the FZ6, you'll curse the weight and inability to have fun on the corners!

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1 is what you need dude. I reckon the FJR is too different to the FZ6, you'll curse the weight and inability to have fun on the corners!

You might be right on that one, I would have to ride one first though. I don't know why I didn't consider it already, makes sense though.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
A bigger somewhat FZ-ish type bike I would (and have, I'm guilty) look at is the Bandit. Its a good bit heavier yes, but tons or torque, and quite stylish to boot.

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're feeling the need for "more" then a Bandit (inexpensive) or and FJR (expensive) may fit the bill. Having an 03 Bandit 1200S in the stable... It's heavier but has soooooo much more torque than the FZ6. Very smooth for touring but still decent for twisties, although I'm quicker through the twisties on the FZ6, maybe just a mental thing. As for the FJR, I've never ridden one, but have a buddy who rides two up with his wife and has pulled an indicated 140+ with two up :eek: He could drag the hard bags and outride me on the FZ6 any day.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The first time I rode the FZ1 was a 500km day, and I didn't get the slightest bit tired in the butt. Usually I'll start to feel it around the 400km mark, but not the FZ. Comfort is superb, and yet the thing absolutely rips.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site

Nice. I make a 50 mile highway cruise fairly regularly and it seems to keep the bike @ 6 to 7K. Right in the 'vibrate the hell out of my feet and hands' range. Maybe dropping the gearing a bit will take me out of it. I actually dropped down to 4th for @ 10 minutes the other day to kick the RPM's up to 10K or so and give my hands / feet a break.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same issues with the little fizzer on longer trips, always have since I got 'er new. It's the vibrations, it just isn't as comfortable as it could be on a bigger bike for slab work. I have a devil of a time keeping my right hand from going / staying numb. But right now I do 30 miles each way to and from work daily on twisty roads mostly, so it's the perfect bike for me. But if I were doing longer trips more often, I would absolutely get something that loafed a little more at 75mph. I still love this bike with all my heart but I prefer the feeling of a midsized twin or a big four on the highway, to generalize.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
Nice. I make a 50 mile highway cruise fairly regularly and it seems to keep the bike @ 6 to 7K. Right in the 'vibrate the hell out of my feet and hands' range. Maybe dropping the gearing a bit will take me out of it. I actually dropped down to 4th for @ 10 minutes the other day to kick the RPM's up to 10K or so and give my hands / feet a break.

ever thought of grip puppies? they helped take away a good portion of the buzz i was getting. and if you don't like them you're only out ~ 10 bucks.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking maybe add a tooth to the front sprocket to get the revs down if you do a lot of highway speed.

Or maybe you need a cruiser. I use mine for long trips.

3894118937_8416332d75.jpg

jk. FJR sounds like a good addition -- but they're a bit more pricey than the FZ6. My cruiser has 1300cc motor but it's a v-twin. 1300cc on a sport tourer sounds fun.

Dennis

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
Also for the record, I was much more comfortable touring for 12 hours a day on my old vulcan 500, which has the parallel twin from the ex500 ninja. It had a big cushy upholstered ugly-as-all-hell seat, a smallish touring windscreen, made maybe half the power of the fz6, and didn't really like doing 80 for a long time with bags, but damnation I NEVER had aches, pains, a sore butt, etc. (shrug)

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 will tour all day. I have done 500 mile days and wasnt even sore.

On the other hanf the FJR is an amzing bike and it will do the twistys almost as easily as the FZ. My dad has the FJR and he manages to leave be behind in the curves.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ1 is a nice tourer. The motor spins at 5,000 at 75 mph with stock gearing. I think one could easily add a tooth on the countershaft sprocket, or looseing one or two on the rear.

No it's not a 1300 but it's go lots of torque. I had mine totally loaded, and it cruised at 85-95 with no problems, very relaxed.

View attachment 27421

Last edited:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
This train of thought is how I ended up with my K1200s. After taking my most recent 5-day, 2000 mile trip I was sick of listening to the motor for hours at a time - the FZ did everything it needed to it was just more "tiring" than I wanted. I started looking for a VFR800 and couldn't get over the used prices - while I was looking the K12s popped up for a steal and I bit. Much happier on long trips but miss the lighter weight of the FZ the rest of the time - the extra hp almost makes up for it though.... Having been here I now view 550 lbs as the max weight of a bike I'll own anytime soon.

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to test ride an FJR...a good 350 mile day of curves would do the trick. WOuld have to be a second/third bike for me though.

Me too. The guy I mentioned with the FJR, it is his third bike. His stable consisted of an Aprilia RSV, GSXR 1000 -track bike, and the FJR. He said if he could only have one it'd be the FJR. So that says alot to me.