I need brighter lights, what works for you?

Reaction score
Visit site
I wasn't going to consider this because I was worried it would blind other road users, but while riding 2-up an hour ago I've had course to change my mind.

When it's dark and rainy people keep pulling out on me and that's annoying. Did a short journey to the shops, about four miles, and for each of those miles I had a cager pull out when they should have seen me - stuck to the speed limit EVERYWHERE, honestly. So if there ever is an accident - or even better, to prevent one - I want my Fazer to have super bright lights so there can be no doubt as to whose fault it was.

What works for you? I'm guessing I'd need some sort of relay fitted and Xenon LEDs, not sure where I should source them from in the UK though. May as well do front and rear to discourage people trying to drive onto the pillion seat - if they're being blinded by the epic redness of the tail light it might discourage them.

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Denali DM's on my bike..

You can find them here.. FZ6 S2 Fazer '07-'09 - Yamaha - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com

I am going to buy these for the rear Hyperlites Flashing LED Motorcycle brake lights, Running Lights and Turn Signal

This is where I mounted on my bike.. You can see the small spots on my lower forks..
75CECA3B-ACC6-4BFD-8B2C-73456DFCC71B.jpg

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I cant offer much advice except to add more sources of light output like above. ^^^ that said, not everyone will agree with what i have to say.

Just my observation but projector HIDs can be harder to see than the OEM scatter beam. IMO, the closer you get to any vehicle the smaller the source or focal point is which makes them hard to see. Because they offer a clean cutoff, and better control of the scatter, they just don't catch the eye's attention.
Its the one thing that has kept me from doing a retro to enclose an HID 35w projector. Mind you i have two spare ballasts and bulbs too.

That said, to stay within the limits of the bikes power output, high power LEDs seem like the best option and dual headlights if yours has a fairing.
If you ride 2up, be sure to adust the beam for that condition too. There is a specification / regulation bit more angles from more sources is going to jncrease your chances.

One member here runs an amber lamp on one side and a modulated lamp on the other. No one pulls in front of him...

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I try to avoid riding at night but I have Philips MotoVision lights on my bike. Apart from the extra brightness they have a red/orange halo that sets you apart from the cages.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
bright lights like mine? :) remove the reflector, get these from amazon! $35-40/LED pair, there is a little projector to emphasize the light emit from the LED lights,,very noticeable on the street or adventure rides!

picture.php

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't want lights on the forks but those super bright main lights seem like a good idea. Ideally I'd want to keep the original light configuration, which is to say one light on all the time with full beam/flash being both on.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wasn't going to consider this because I was worried it would blind other road users, but while riding 2-up an hour ago I've had course to change my mind.

When it's dark and rainy people keep pulling out on me and that's annoying. Did a short journey to the shops, about four miles, and for each of those miles I had a cager pull out when they should have seen me - stuck to the speed limit EVERYWHERE, honestly. So if there ever is an accident - or even better, to prevent one - I want my Fazer to have super bright lights so there can be no doubt as to whose fault it was.

What works for you? I'm guessing I'd need some sort of relay fitted and Xenon LEDs, not sure where I should source them from in the UK though. May as well do front and rear to discourage people trying to drive onto the pillion seat - if they're being blinded by the epic redness of the tail light it might discourage them.

There is nothing brighter than your brain to keep you safe. Always rely on that first and foremost. Who's fault it is will not protect you from injury and fault will not easy your misery. Being visible is very important and better lighting is a great way for better visibility in both directions.

I tried some Cree LED lights for my bike and found the light to be much brighter. I am still experimenting with aiming and haven't ridden enough in the dark to determine whether they are better in all areas. I really want to get out at night in the country to give a good test. The ones I installed are from Cycle Gear. They are pretty much plug n play except for the back of the assembly where there is a small cooling fan that must remain unobstructed. Any of the few installs I've heard of require modification of the rubber dust boot at the back of the headlamp assembly. The controller module assembly is half the size of the HID controller/ballasts units and the power consumption is 24-25 watts. Power may be more than 25 watts when on hi beam because both hi and lo beam Cree element are active on high beam. The lo beam Cree element (on the units I purchased) does not shut off as in the typical H4 incandescent lamp. This means you do not have to consider any modification to the FZ6 headlight switching. The light output is white which is a great frequency for your eyes. The blue color are terrible and your brain does not process those frequencies of light as well leaving you with a lot of inefficient light.

All in all for today technology, I believe HID projects are the very best but Cree LED will be the future as more efficient designed lamps and reflectors become available.

Here is a thread that is relative with info.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/showpost.php?p=601835&postcount=48

Reaction score
Visit site
Very interesting that post you linked. Cree LEDs Looks like exactly what I'd want. Do you know the estimated cost/availability of parts in UK etc? I think as I'm not great mechanically I could have that done at the same time as one of my workshop visits to the dealership.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
There is nothing brighter than your brain to keep you safe. Always rely on that first and foremost. Who's fault it is will not protect you from injury and fault will not easy your misery. Being visible is very important and better lighting is a great way for better visibility in both directions.

I tried some Cree LED lights for my bike and found the light to be much brighter. I am still experimenting with aiming and haven't ridden enough in the dark to determine whether they are better in all areas. I really want to get out at night in the country to give a good test. The ones I installed are from Cycle Gear. They are pretty much plug n play except for the back of the assembly where there is a small cooling fan that must remain unobstructed. Any of the few installs I've heard of require modification of the rubber dust boot at the back of the headlamp assembly. The controller module assembly is half the size of the HID controller/ballasts units and the power consumption is 24-25 watts. Power may be more than 25 watts when on hi beam because both hi and lo beam Cree element are active on high beam. The lo beam Cree element (on the units I purchased) does not shut off as in the typical H4 incandescent lamp. This means you do not have to consider any modification to the FZ6 headlight switching. The light output is white which is a great frequency for your eyes. The blue color are terrible and your brain does not process those frequencies of light as well leaving you with a lot of inefficient light.

All in all for today technology, I believe HID projects are the very best but Cree LED will be the future as more efficient designed lamps and reflectors become available.

Here is a thread that is relative with info.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/showpost.php?p=601835&postcount=48

Yeah, I saw Cyclegear has H4, H7 LED lights, are you using those for your headlights? How does it perform? do you have the picture of them installed on yours?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I saw Cyclegear has H4, H7 LED lights, are you using those for your headlights? How does it perform? do you have the picture of them installed on yours?

I haven't had enough night driving with them in the environment of dark but As soon as I get a chance I will get a better ride in at night and give a report. As of now I think they out perform the Quality replasement halogens I was using and please keep in mind my head lights are dual H4 configuration which have different reflector design than the FZ6.

Yes...Click the link ----> http://www.600riders.com/forum/showpost.php?p=601835&postcount=48

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very interesting that post you linked. Cree LEDs Looks like exactly what I'd want. Do you know the estimated cost/availability of parts in UK etc? I think as I'm not great mechanically I could have that done at the same time as one of my workshop visits to the dealership.

I just got a flyers from Cycle Gear. I don't know if you have this store across the pond but they're $59 on sale most of the time. Guess you could order online?

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
Adding light is about the best thing to do for Visibility period! I can think of several ways to do this. And a few don't matter what version you have. But I will assume a faired version . the dual headlight mod is good. The LED's are looking better and better. And I think projector/hid is probably among the best. The downfall is during the day they can be a little less visible and it may not be right but if it is between dusk and dawn and especially when the sun is to my back I ride with the high beam on. Other things are with the projector ( or without also) is to add a good halo. ( like the led ones from trs) adding led eyebrows can help or something like amber hyperlites wired as running lights for consistent light and as I have them as signals and they are bright and also small. There is the pod light mod also with choice of light once done.

And one other thing that can help be noticed if not necessarily visual would be something like a steeble !

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
I was previously running the Osram Nightbreakers which were a night and day (pardon the pun) upgrade over stock; however this winter fitted an HID kit to the H7 - I went with the 5000k H7R from Xenon HID Headlight Upgrade Kits from HIDS 4U - H7, H4, H1.

I'm not sure how much of it is placebo, but I found that after realigning the headlight properly, visibility is phenomenal and I've not been flashed once by blinded cagers! I didn't replace the H4 full beam, that remains a Nightbreaker Unlimited.

My sidelights were also upgraded to LED, I went with the Osram LEDriving 6000k bulbs; which are bright enough to be headlights on their own! Combined with the H7R, the front end has been transformed and produces a very clean crisp white light.

Note: I've yet to put any of the light upgrades through an MOT, the sidelights I'm confident produce a white enough light, the HID kit however without a projector lense may need to be swapped out before rolling up the the garage.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Want to be seen by day? Run high beams and/or aux. lights.

Want to see at night? HID projectors retrofits into the housings is the only option...you can have better headlights than Lexus and BMW's in an FZ6...I do! :thumbup:

Reaction score
Visit site
Want to see at night? HID projectors retrofits into the housings is the only option...you can have better headlights than Lexus and BMW's in an FZ6...I do! :thumbup:

This sounds ideal. When I do my return journey from work it's still dark - it is improving as summer approaches (as is the amount of grip on the roads :D ) but it'd be nice to be prepared. I can do a better job even of corners I know well if I have about double the light the Fazer has now.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Want to be seen by day? Run high beams and/or aux. lights.

Don't take this personally but like I said above; THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE between SEEING and BEING SEEN!!!

GLARE from the OEM housing allows us to be SEEN!
-
A Quality Projector Allows us to SEE!

There is a BIG difference!!! Look at the area of the "BEAM" from a Projector. Its 2.5 to 3.0" of intense light, But if its focal point is NOT in your face, OR its 100 yards down the road, its USELESS WHEN WE NEED TO BE SEEN!
The SCATTER AND GLARE of the CRAPPY HOUSING allows us to be seen because its 8" to 10" of LIGHT that people MAY SEE! Not a Tiny DOT! Hence, my comment about running any kind of projectors ; "you need MANY" so there are Different Angles and HOPEFULLY the observer sees one of them.

As I said above, I want to see at night as its easy to overdrive the OEM lights. At the risk of NOT being seen, I can't bring myself to toss in those Lexus HID projectors I have. I'll slow down at night!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't take this personally but like I said above; THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE between SEEING and BEING SEEN!!!

GLARE from the OEM housing allows us to be SEEN!
-
A Quality Projector Allows us to SEE!

There is a BIG difference!!! Look at the area of the "BEAM" from a Projector. Its 2.5 to 3.0" of intense light, But if its focal point is NOT in your face, OR its 100 yards down the road, its USELESS WHEN WE NEED TO BE SEEN!
The SCATTER AND GLARE of the CRAPPY HOUSING allows us to be seen because its 8" to 10" of LIGHT that people MAY SEE! Not a Tiny DOT! Hence, my comment about running any kind of projectors ; "you need MANY" so there are Different Angles and HOPEFULLY the observer sees one of them.

As I said above, I want to see at night as its easy to overdrive the OEM lights. At the risk of NOT being seen, I can't bring myself to toss in those Lexus HID projectors I have. I'll slow down at night!

I understand what you are saying. HID projectors focus light on the road and have less glare so they aren't as visible in daylight unless you run them in high beam mode then you look like the surface of the sun!. Thus a combination of HID projectors to allow you to see the road well at night and a set of LED driving lights adding for daytime conspicuousness. :thumbup: