I just made myself extremely depressed...

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so if you read it, i have another thread about getting another bike in a year or so. After starting to reply to a question about how many miles i do a year, i really started to get depressed. I have done next to no riding at all this year. Like NOTHING, i started the season around 7500 miles, (just from last year). i would be willing to say that if i went to my ODO i would have less than 9000. Thats horrible.
Then i started to think of why. And then i got even more depressed.
In july i got laid off, so there goes about 100 miles a week of just riding to work. Then a week after that we find out that my wife is pregnant, so she doesnt want to/cant ride anymore. so there goes all our "running errands" rides. Then about a month later we find out she is no longer pregnant, so that kinda bummed me out and i wasnt in the mood to ride for a few weeks.

And here is the list of fallen buddies... and these are ALLL the people i ride with. As in the ONLY people i know with bikes.

-Kirk: Away to bike week for a week, then comes home and has to put bike in the shop for 3 weeks, out for a month
-Mike: loaned his bike to a buddy who wrecked it, out entire summer
-Mark: Tboned a truck that pulled out in front of him, out for a month
-Dan: Wrecked bike in march, didnt get it bakc till july, and not able to ride till aug only 30 min intervals pretty much out all summer
-Greg: blew up engine in spring, out all summer
-Jason: sold bike in the winter, out for good
-Jared: guy who laid me off in july, awkward....
-Dave: Finally got his bike out of storage, then moved an hour away. out 99% of summer
-Jeremy: realized that when you dont pay your bike loan back it gets repo'd out half of the summer.

Now tell me, how depressing is that? That is literally every person that i ride with. All being out for an extended period of time. And to be honest, im really not a lone rider, i will do it, but really only when i go from place to place, i really just dont like riding along, its lonely.

Hopefully everything turns around next summer, i would really love to have another 7500 mile summer, this one was pathetic... :(

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't get too depressed over the whole thing. Bottom line... you still have YOUR FZ6. The weather is still decent (It's 60 degrees and sunny here in Northern Michigan) and I'm headed out for a ride once the roads dry up.

My buddy already stored his 750 Shadow for the Winter, but I'm headed out for a solo ride! Also, I wouldn't worry too much about adding a second bike to your garage. Just get out and enjoy your FZ6. Who knows, you might even meet up with another late season solo rider and strike up a lasting friendship.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! Quite a crowd you hang out with there!

First, sorry to hear about the pregnancy. Second, sometimes life just *happens* and you cannot help the circumstances. As Champ stated, be thankful you still have your bike, you're responsible enough to make the payments and keep it, you haven't wrecked and you'll have all of next year to catch up!

You said you got laid off. Do you have work now?

Chin up and go ride!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Try to look at the brightside.

"Sounds like liiiife to me"

And sorry about the baby but I'm glad you and your wife are alive and well.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
oh yeah, im not jumpin ship over it by any means. It was just funny that iwas sitting here and thinking about my lack of riding this summer, and i was like, man, what a crappy summer... looking forward to 2010... and still no job, hence why i gotta keep this short, and get back to the search! haha

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
oh yeah, im not jumpin ship over it by any means. It was just funny that iwas sitting here and thinking about my lack of riding this summer, and i was like, man, what a crappy summer... looking forward to 2010... and still no job, hence why i gotta keep this short, and get back to the search! haha
When you don't realize you've had a rough time until you force yourself to look back, that tells me you have a great outlook on life and don't let things get you down.

There's a LOT of value in that! :thumbup:

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually i got a lotto tix tonight, i figured my luck has to turn around here soon... why not for 77 Million? :BLAA:

SirByron

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about the baby! You should be stoked that you had so many good buddies to ride with though, anyone I knew that had a bike sold it years ago. There's nothing wrong with riding solo! :D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I could never understand why that there would be riders that need to have other riders along in order to ride. I have no problem riding by myself. It's a bike, and sometimes it's just meant for you to ride alone. Just you and the bike. Don't get me wrong, having others along is great and a real blast. But it shouldn't stop you from riding, just go ride.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

Hang in there, big guy. It's going to get better eventually.

My past 2 years have been much the same. My corporation sold the division I was part of to another company, NOV '07. I got pulled into the clean up crew, to help transfer product for six months. Finally get to become a FT guy with the new outfit, to be laid off a month later.

No riding for me! 6 weeks later, land a contract gig for the most money I have ever made. I worked that job from Aug 08 to Jan 09..... and have not been able to land a gig since. (I took that gig, because the folks I interviewed with told me it would go permanent. It didn't.)

People are scared of what I earned last, and the market has de-valued my type of work by ~ 30%... so it looks like I won't work for less than about 2X what people are willing to accept to do the stuff I do.

I'd be amazed if I have added more than 1500 miles to the Odometer in the last 12 months. It's amazing to me we have managed to keep the house, and the bike, to be honest.

I'm in the process of doing the interview loop for an out of town job, about 300 miles from where my home is. If it's got relocation, I'll take it if offered.