I hate fedora core!!!

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
What do you other Admins us as your server Linux OS. I used to use FREEBSD but Switched to Fedora and had Ver 7 it ran awesome but this new one version 12 is gonna put me in an early grave LOL.. Just curious what you other Admins use in there non Microsoft servers...

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL yep using Linux but with out the peanuts:thumbup:

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ubuntu. Plain desktop version too. What specifically is the problem w. Fedora?
I switched from Fedora to Ubuntu and never looked back!

The new version keeps losing my network card setting evertime it reboot I have to re-enter the IP info.. and SELinux is not fun to get everything working without just turning it to permissive mode...

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
The new version keeps losing my network card setting evertime it reboot I have to re-enter the IP info.. and SELinux is not fun to get everything working without just turning it to permissive mode...

SELinux is oldschool. Have you tried using AppArmor?
For the network card issue, have you tried searching online for an answer or posting to Ubuntu Forums ? That forum is awesome. It is like the fz6-forum for Ubuntu!

I wouldn't give up on Ubuntu, there's a learning curve because some things are done differently, but it's waaaaay better than Fedora, imho. Of course, if you have something that works, that goes a long way too.....

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have not tried Ubuntu Ive used freebsd and fedora only but Im thinking of dl Ubuntu server and loading it on my Vmware ESXi box to try it out.... Fedora Used SELinux still

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Of course...But there are many sites on the server and I would need a dedicated box.. This is actually cheaper. Its been running for almost 3 years and this was the first really big glitch that could have happened on a "hosted site"....

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dennis:

We use CentOS heavily. It's Red Hat EL without the Red Hat artwork & branding, and free. Works very well for us. :thumbup:

And SELinux is nothing but a big pain in the a$$. :D

The other OS we use is Solaris...but that's another ball game. I have an OpenSolaris test system for experimenting with ZFS. We use ZFS on our big NFS file servers. I'm OK with solaris, but not for the faint of heart sometimes.

I haven't used Ubuntu Server, only the desktop version and it's great, especially on laptops. I must admit that lately I've been thrown into the Windows 2008 ring. Meh.

Last edited:

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Fedora Box, and ESXi Box and a Windows 2008 box..

Fedora for the forum websites
ESXi runs the backup business. Data-safe.ca And is mirrored to another box at a different location..... and the Windows 2008 box is for learning the OS....

C

CombatPenguin

+1 on CentOS. I used to run my game server on it and never had a problem. Although I prefer windows over linux :ban:

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on CentOS. I used to run my game server on it and never had a problem. Although I prefer windows over linux :ban:

Same here...but not for the GAME.... ha ha ha
Don't know why but I think that I started with Windows ha ha ha.
Personally, Linux gives programmer more hard coding and administrative times than Win.
Windows now also has Web Server version which is very light compare to the other windows version.
So, can focus only for the Web Applications.
Just for my opinion and by my abilities...

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
Im running two centos 5.3 servers an ubuntu server and a microsoft 2003 server in VMServer 2.0 on a Dell poweredge 4600 all from home.

The two centos servers are running webhosting (ispconfig), dns, mysql, vsftp, teamspeak and some other stuffs.
The ubuntu one is just for testing atm.
The 2003 server is running some games servers COD4, BF2 etc.

I really like centos and its very similar to fedora/redhat. Havent had anything die yet (knock on wood) and its been running for 2 years so far.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site

I think one of our admins had an issue like that (using the GUI to configure network settings). I ended up doing this:

cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/

look for a file called ifcfg-eth0 (for eth0) and edit it by hand. There are others like ifcfg-eth1 for eth1, etc.

Here's mine:

# Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE]
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST=10.x.x.255
HWADDR=00:x:x:x:x:x
IPADDR=10.x.x.211
NETMASK=255.255.0.0
NETWORK=10.x.x.0
ONBOOT=yes
GATEWAY=10.x.x.1
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes

I put x to protect the innocent :D.

I think if you save it and then do "ifdown eth0" followed by "ifup eth0", you'll be all set.

Back in the day, we didn't have a GUI but even with the GUI, it edits that file anyway. I'm on Fedora Core 6 -- old I know but only one that works well for my particular application (I'm sure others work but I don't have time to experiment).

Good luck.

Dennis

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I prefer a pin stripe on mine,
View attachment 24305
but heather grey is nice too.

:ban:

Dennis, I am so sorry you are dealing with all these issues right now.
We really appreciate you working so hard, so we can play!! :thumbup:

spidersden

Reaction score
Visit site
I run Fedora 10 on my work PC. I was about to upgrade to Fedora 12 but decided (appropriately) to let my boss try it out first. He's had a heck of a time out of it. Lots of problems with avhi screwing up DNS for him amongst other things.

You may want to disable Network Manager and kinda revert to the old school way of configuring your NIC. As someone recommended earlier, you can edit the files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and set info there.

If you're more of a pointy-clicky guy, make sure that system-config-network is installed:

Code:
yum install system-config-network
and then:
Code:
yum remove NetworkManager

That should fix your network config problems and bring you back to a config method you're used to. Network Manager is great for a laptop connecting to random wifi networks, but for a server, it's just another hassle.

Aside from running Fedora on my workstation, my department manages approximately 200 CentOS 5.3 / RHEL 5.3 servers. Keep in mind that Fedora is basically a "rolling beta" for redhat, so release versions of Fedora are still considered "beta" to the RH team. If you can stay one iteration behind the latest Fedora release (IE, Fedora 11) then you'll likely have a better experience.

Of course, you could always go with CentOS as well. I like the prettiness of Fedora better though. Combine Fedora with Compiz Fusion and a supported 3D video card and you have serious nerd eye candy. (Very much not recommended for a server environment though)

So, in summation, I recommend Fedora for workstation environments and CentOS for server environments.

As far as SELinux...
SELinux should be marketed as the offical open source package of Evil.
Learn "audit2allow" very well, it will help you. A handy trick with selinux is to set the system to "permissive" for a short while (long enough to let the system do everything it should, maybe a few days?)

And then:
Code:
cd ~
grep denied /var/log/audit/audit.log > deny.log
audit2allow -M MyPolicy < deny.log 
semodule -i MyPolicy.pp
setenforce "Enforcing"

Basically, that will grab all of the denied messages that were generated during normal operation and make a custom rule-set to allow those items inside of the enforcing policy. Once done, it will allow all your normal processes to run happily, but still deny any unexpected activity.

Also, "sealert -b" will pop open the browser app. Set it to email you on denial if you haven't done so already.

Thanks for running an awesome forum!

Good luck, and ride safe.
~Scott

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
CentOS is about the best. Be sure you grab a stable build and not one of the beta builds.

OpenSUSE is a rock-solid OS as well.

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think going forward I will migrate to Cent OS...I would love to go with Red Hat but is too expensive.. ....