I got something inside my rear tire?

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
About 5 days ago just 10 metres from turning right into the garage I heard a huge "pop" and immediately thought I had blown the rear tire or something. I could feel the rear of the bike moving just a bit like when riding over a rock or something.
Checked the rear wheel and can't find damage. Been riding everyday since and the tire doesn't loose any pressure. One thing I do notice though is that then I got the bike up on the centrestand and spin the rear wheel while lubing the chain I suddently hear something rolling inside the rear wheel? First I thought it was a busted bearing or something but it is clearly something inside the tire. Spin the tire a little and it sounds like something rolling inside and settling down the bottom.
It has been some very hot days here in Denmark with up to 30 degrees celcius (about 86 fahrenheit). I know other parts of the globe are way hotter but with no wind at all it seems very hot... so maybe some of the inner part of the valve blew to bits because of the tire pressure building up from the heat?
I have checked the air valve and there is no problem with increasing and decreasing pressure.
Only 14 days ago I had the rear wheel off to install a new chain + front/rear sprockets so if the loose thingy in the rear wheel had been there at the time I should have noticed!?

Should I worry? :confused:

EDIT: The rear-wheel is has 12-13.000 km on it (fitted at a dealership in March 2011)

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
IMHO, if it was my bike, I think I'd have the tire at least halfways removed and looked at inside.

There shouldn't be anything flopping around in there and as you stated, if its part of the valve, you don't want it letting loose at highway speeds.

Better safe than sorry...

You may try spraying some soapy water around the valve and gently move the valve about some looking for any leaks.

BTW, I had two trailer tires they apparently installed the valves without any lubrication and they were partially torn (still held air). They eventually let loose (I lent the trailer to a friend) and it loose in downtown Atlanta (60+ MPH) destroying the tire, damaging the rim.. The third tire, I discovered the ripped valve and replaced it before that tire blew out..

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Scott on this. You might be able to just break the bead on one side and take a look.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
IMHO, if it was my bike, I think I'd have the tire at least halfways removed and looked at inside.

There shouldn't be anything flopping around in there and as you stated, if its part of the valve, you don't want it letting loose at highway speeds.

Better safe than sorry...

My guess has the be some part of the valve?
I'll have it checked someday soon... will report back here what it was if there is anything?

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Scott on this. You might be able to just break the bead on one side and take a look.

So totally deflatten the tire and take a peek?
I haven't got a compressor (to pump up the tire) so I'll do it at my dad-in-laws house within a few days!

EDIT: If I do this... shouldn't I be greasing the edge between rear rim and tire with something?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So totally deflatten the tire and take a peek?
I haven't got a compressor (to pump up the tire) so I'll do it at my dad-in-laws house within a few days!

EDIT: If I do this... shouldn't I be greasing the edge between rear rim and tire with something?

Do NOT put grease anywhere near the tire... Soapy water only,,

Depending on what tire you have, you may end up bringing the wheel assembly to a shop. My personal experiance with popping the bead on the PR2's was not good on my FJR (same size tire/rim)...

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You might have a hard time breaking the bead so do some research if you haven't done this before. Always keep fingers clear of the bead before it pops when refilling the tire. :D

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I agree with Scott and company. It is not a good idea to hope your tire continues to work. Better to fix whatever is wrong. My guess is you hit something that punctured the tire, and most of it broke off on the inside. Probably a bit of glass. A piece is still in the belts, plugging the hole. (guessing)

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had them to do exactly what you are describing when someone cut the old valve off and left the old stub within the tire, but this baffles me.
The sound you heard and no air loss is strange. (It looks like it would affect wheel balance at speed) Be careful and sorry you're having troubles.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have had them to do exactly what you are describing when someone cut the old valve off and left the old stub within the tire, but this baffles me.

The sound you heard and no air loss is strange. (It looks like it would affect wheel balance at speed) Be careful and sorry you're having troubles.

And yep I have the PR2 on...
I'll have a shop look at it (one that already has a rear tire i'd want in stock in case I do have a puncture)... damn... Last spring I pulled out some metal bit and had to replace that rear. Why couldn't it just have been the front :D

pantone

peter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the old stud in my tyre(same situation as deeptekkie) and run it for 10k km, nothing happened. The mech. said to a certain speed, the stud will be pressed onto the inner surface of the tyre and will not move due to centrifugal force, there is no need to remove it before the next tyre change.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you double checked all the mounting hardware on your sprockets???

When I spin the wheel (on the centrestand) and stop it - then I hear something inside the wheel. Sounds just like something rolling down and settling in the bottom of the wheel. It's deffinately not any of the hardware bits and pieces...

I'll ride past a shop on tuesday and ask for their advice. Have them doubletjeck the wheel on the outside (maybe they can see something I can't).
Maybe it's nothing!? :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the old stud in my tyre(same situation as deeptekkie) and run it for 10k km, nothing happened. The mech. said to a certain speed, the stud will be pressed onto the inner surface of the tyre and will not move due to centrifugal force, there is no need to remove it before the next tyre change.

Well that will definitly throw your tire out of balance and cause early wear...

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Update (and maybe last post in the thread)...

Can't hear anything inside the tire?
Can't find any spot anywhere outside the tire that coud resemble an entry point through the tire?
Not loosing any noticable airpressure at all (maybe 0,1 bar 3 weeks).

I don't know... maybe 3 weeks ago I had too much sugar on my morning cereals :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
it may even be in the grooves and you wont see anything
u could use some very soapy water on the tyre to check for tiny punture,
and any bubbles coming out will show if you have a slow puncture

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
it may even be in the grooves and you wont see anything
u could use some very soapy water on the tyre to check for tiny punture,
and any bubbles coming out will show if you have a slow puncture

Have done so several times - all over the surface including the edge to the rims.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It may have embedded itself inside the tire at this point and isn't flopping around anymore.

I take it you didn't pull the tire off the rim and inspect it? (it likely didn't evaporate or go away on its own, you heard it inside the tire)

My fingers are crossed for you that your rear tire doesn't fail on you at the wrong time.

Good luck...

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
It may have embedded itself inside the tire at this point and isn't flopping around anymore.

I take it you didn't pull the tire off the rim and inspect it? (it likely didn't evaporate or go away on its own, you heard it inside the tire)

My fingers are crossed for you that your rear tire doesn't fail on you at the wrong time.

Good luck...

The local bike pusher didn't want to take a look inside because he couldn't hear what I heard (this was a few days after my descovery but I just didn't post anything about it here because it wasn't really any news). He couldn't find anything that could resemble an entry point either. Tried to beat the tire with a hammer to loosen whatever I might have heard (in case it had embedded itself).
This morning I ran over some metal at slow speed - I could hear whatever it was bounce across the tarmac. Checked to see if anything was missing on the bike but nothing... Because the back end made a small jerk...
I think someone is trying to tell me I need to replace that rear tire now... dammit :D

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
The local bike pusher didn't want to take a look inside because he couldn't hear what I heard (this was a few days after my descovery but I just didn't post anything about it here because it wasn't really any news). He couldn't find anything that could resemble an entry point either. Tried to beat the tire with a hammer to loosen whatever I might have heard (in case it had embedded itself).
This morning I ran over some metal at slow speed - I could hear whatever it was bounce across the tarmac. Checked to see if anything was missing on the bike but nothing... Because the back end made a small jerk...
I think someone is trying to tell me I need to replace that rear tire now... dammit :D
normally they dont like taking tyre off unless a new 1 is going on cos its a messy job
but if you were to offer the guy cash incentive
your tyre would be off before you could put your wallet back in your jacket