i cant start my fz6

denzocrazy26

Reaction score
Visit site
hello everyone, i am new to this fantastic forum, i would like to ask for some help. i have a 2006 fz6, i was out of the country for over a yr,(military) and my tank got rust accumulated inside. the fuel pump had rust all over. i Cleaned it all out(gas tank and fuel pump) i also changed out the plugs, i added some fuel to the tank with a carb cleaner, the fuel injectors looked ok, however, i get ignition but the engine does not turn on. Can anyone give me some advice or ideas as to what could be happening.

thank you.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the best forum on the net!

A quick check with a little spritz of Ether might tell you something. If you give a blast in the air box and it fires off you probably have interference with fuel getting to cylinders. Don't dribble the Ether on your paint! If this is the case I'm betting there is a fuel filter that may be clogged. I'm imagining the fuel filter is probably in the fuel pump assembly but I'm not sure. I looked at a break down on Ron Ayers web sight and I don't see a separate fuel filter...Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2006>FZS6V FZ6>FUEL TANK

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the best forum on the net!

A quick check with a little spritz of Ether might tell you something. If you give a blast in the air box and it fires off you probably have interference with fuel getting to cylinders. Don't dribble the Ether on your paint! If this is the case I'm betting there is a fuel filter that may be clogged. I'm imagining the fuel filter is probably in the fuel pump assembly but I'm not sure. I looked at a break down on Ron Ayers web sight and I don't see a separate fuel filter...Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2006>FZS6V FZ6>FUEL TANK

The fuel filter is attached to the fuel pump intake inside the gas tank..

Is the bike spinning over NOT FIRING? or not spinning over? Is the fuel pump priming (a hum under/in the tank) when the key is first turned on? Connectors hooked back up after cleaning the tank?

I'd put a voltage meter across the battery terminals and check voltage both static and when pushing the start button. It should have at least 12 volts.

I'd also take off and clean both battery terminals, if their corroded/not tight that'll cause lower voltage/no ignition/etc to occur...

If you have at least 12 volts and everything is clean and tight, flip the kill switch button several times. It is prone to fail and may have corroded over time.

If that doesn't help, I agree with Cliff, try a little starting fluid and see if it trys to start. If it doesn't, pull a spark plug wire and check for spark.

Compression/fuel/ignition....

Good luck and THANK YOU FOR SERVING!!!!

Last edited:

darkman

Reaction score
Visit site
had simular problems i have clean the fuel tank and fuel pump few days ago and bike could not start (probably air in fuel line) try- turn key on/ off and kill switch button several times (10-15, ) then successfully start bike :D

sorry for bad english

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With rust potentially being pumped through the injectors, there could be a slim chance they're stuck open (unlikely tho as they all have filters) and its flooded or they could be completely plugged? If it never once fired off I doubt they are plugged tho.

Personally I hate starting fluid and would opt for safely giving each air plenum several drops of gas from a cup or lid or something of that nature. If it fires and dies you have no fuel. Hearing the pump run would be vital at this point.

Compression plus spark plus fuel and it should run. We'll wait for something from OP. . .

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude...

A gasoline engine needs four things to run:

Air

Fuel

Spark

Compression

Figure out what you DON'T have. Unless the timing chain snapped, it's unlikely that you have an issue with compression. Unless the air cleaner is clogged, air is unlikely the culprit.

So, to check for spark, get an inline spark tester, pull a plug wire, attach the tester to the plug wire, ground the tester, crank the engine, look for a spark. If you have spark, you are now looking for a fueling issue....

Fuel - two questions here...
1. Is fuel pressure reaching the injectors - to determine this, use a fuel pressure gauge. Attach the gauge, turn on the ignition, disengage the kill switch. The pump sould run for 2sec to prime the fuel rail and then it will stop. When you crank the engine, the fuel pump should run and provide consistent pressure to the rail. If not, see notes at bottom...

2. Are the injectors firing - unplug one of the injectors, ground a test light and find the "hot" side of the injector lead, crank the engine, see if the test light illuminates. If not, the ECU is not triggering the injectors to fire.

Reasons why injectors don't fire and fuel pumps don't run during cranking:
When the ignition is on on the killswitch is disengaged, the ECU will run the fuel pump for 2sec and stop if it does not see a signal from the crank position sensor. When the engine is cranking, both the injectors should fire and the pump should run - if not, a crank position sensor is the likely culprit.

Last edited: