I am finally back...yea...check it out!!

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
I have been back on the bike now for a little while but I am finally back on it full time. The injuries to my knee and leg made it so it hurt and caused swelling whenever I rode my bike! It is weird but my bike seems to ride better now that it has been fixed. The mechanics did an awesome job and it is great being back!!!!!!!!!

Check out the pics of the long process.

2515551838_3ceb14f077_o.jpg

2514727221_4a943d27ef_o.jpg

2515551674_0f7a4a1c3c_o.jpg

2514727483_d43409d075_o.jpg

2514727545_52ba633d75_o.jpg

2515552152_2492d95682_o.jpg

2515552088_65ec1af3f5_o.jpg

AND NOW FOR THE FIXED UP PICS

IT LOOKS BRAND NEW!!!!!!

I LOVE IT!!!!

can you tell I am excited?

2514727775_0e2d534591_o.jpg

2515552344_38bb6baca3_o.jpg

2515552188_f1ac7af5e7_o.jpg

I am so happy to be back riding the open road. It is time to take the AMA safety course. I have learned some lessons from this. I go sloooow in the city. I am ashamed to say I cannot help but haul butt on the highway. 5 o'clock traffic on the interstate with all the room to get away from the crazy cagers and having the roadside to go off on in case someone cuts in front of you. It is just awesome. I will try and be careful though. If I did what I did to myself at 40mph I don't even want to think what can happen at 80-100.

Anyway I am glad to be back on the forum.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been back on the bike now for a little while but I am finally back on it full time. The injuries to my knee and leg made it so it hurt and caused swelling whenever I rode my bike! It is weird but my bike seems to ride better now that it has been fixed. The mechanics did an awesome job and it is great being back!!!!!!!!!

Check out the pics of the long process.

2515551838_3ceb14f077_o.jpg

2514727221_4a943d27ef_o.jpg

2515551674_0f7a4a1c3c_o.jpg

2514727483_d43409d075_o.jpg

2514727545_52ba633d75_o.jpg

2515552152_2492d95682_o.jpg

2515552088_65ec1af3f5_o.jpg

AND NOW FOR THE FIXED UP PICS

IT LOOKS BRAND NEW!!!!!!

I LOVE IT!!!!

can you tell I am excited?

2514727775_0e2d534591_o.jpg

2515552344_38bb6baca3_o.jpg

2515552188_f1ac7af5e7_o.jpg

I am so happy to be back riding the open road. It is time to take the AMA safety course. I have learned some lessons from this. I go sloooow in the city. I am ashamed to say I cannot help but haul butt on the highway. 5 o'clock traffic on the interstate with all the room to get away from the crazy cagers and having the roadside to go off on in case someone cuts in front of you. It is just awesome. I will try and be careful though. If I did what I did to myself at 40mph I don't even want to think what can happen at 80-100.

Anyway I am glad to be back on the forum.
Welcome back my friend,
The bike looks tip top, was it all covered by the insurance in the end?
Please be careful. I don't wish to be grim, but in the UK statistically most road accidents happen between 08.30 - 09.30 and then again peaking at 17.00 - 18.30 (rush hour, I'm sure its similar in the US).
So spare your horses on highway 5 and good luck with the MSF.

Gald your back
Nelly

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
Thanks Nelly. I actually am more careful on both highways and roadways now. I am over cautious when I am in the city and stay about 3 car lanes back which pisses people off but the area I live in is filled with lots of hills and turns and we are a " tree city " so in the spring you cannot see around corners so I am extra careful now. I do like traffic for some reason though. I like to get through it and find those empty spots in between so it is kinda like a game trying to stay ahead and behind at the same time.

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
What kind of windshield is that?

I think it is the stock windshield. I do know that they put some parts on the bike that are FZ6 specific but were 06' models and even a couple of 08' model parts in order to save money. The place that did it didn't void the warranty and did it for $2000 less than the dealership.

idanny

Reaction score
www.minutehound.com
I think it is the stock windshield. I do know that they put some parts on the bike that are FZ6 specific but were 06' models and even a couple of 08' model parts in order to save money. The place that did it didn't void the warranty and did it for $2000 less than the dealership.
looks good whatever it is, congrats on getting the bike back. Did you get insurance to cover it?

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
looks good whatever it is, congrats on getting the bike back. Did you get insurance to cover it?

Yes!!! Geico told the dealership to go Fthemselves with their crazy estimate totaling my bike and found a specialty shop to do the work. Go Go Geico! They are even buying me a new helmet. No cost limits!!!!!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Nelly. I actually am more careful on both highways and roadways now. I am over cautious when I am in the city and stay about 3 car lanes back which pisses people off but the area I live in is filled with lots of hills and turns and we are a " tree city " so in the spring you cannot see around corners so I am extra careful now. I do like traffic for some reason though. I like to get through it and find those empty spots in between so it is kinda like a game trying to stay ahead and behind at the same time.

Welcome back, glad to see you got back onto the saddle. Just be very careful about the GAPS! Extra space just means more chances for cagers to bolt into that open area without even looking for a bike. Sometimes you may be creating an open invitation for trouble when you think your making a safety zone for yourself.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
glad that you are back in the saddle! and the bike looks great!

Keep her rubber side down from now on and enjoy the 2nd chance with this great bike!

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're back in the saddle and okay (even if still a bit sore). Bike looks good...from appearances, they did a good job on it.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Your bike looks great! :)
Welcome back, and take it easy (aka "Ride Defensively") for a while until you get back into the groove again.:thumbup:
JOOC, what are you wearing for gear these days?

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome back, glad to see you got back onto the saddle. Just be very careful about the GAPS! Extra space just means more chances for cagers to bolt into that open area without even looking for a bike. Sometimes you may be creating an open invitation for trouble when you think your making a safety zone for yourself.

I disagree with this. One should not tailgate (no "gap"). If there's an emergency stop, you will have more brake reaction and distance/time and, more importantly, this will allow you to dampen your braking making it less likely that the sophomoric motorist tailgating behind you will rear-end you (or worse). As an alternative, I suggest trying to stay out of blind spots or reducing your time in this dangerous area to a minimum. Oh well, it's probably no big surprise that different riding philosophies exist. FZ6-Forum is a great place to air them. To be fair, I suppose one must apply the appropriate measures to fit the local traffic envioronment, i.e., slow, congested vs. fast-paced moving traffic since there are going to be situations where it's near impossible to stay out of other's (including riders) blind spots.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site

I disagree with this. One should not tailgate (no "gap"). If there's an emergency stop, you will have more brake reaction and distance/time and, more importantly, this will allow you to dampen your braking making it less likely that the average bear motorist tailgating behind you will rear-end you (or worse). As an alternative, I suggest trying to stay out of blind spots or reducing your time in this dangerous area to a minimum. Oh well, it's probably no big surprise that different riding philosophies exist. FZ6-Forum is a great place to air them. To be fair, I suppose one must apply the appropriate measures to fit the local traffic envioronment, i.e., slow, congested vs. fast-paced moving traffic since there are going to be situations where it's near impossible to stay out of other's (including riders) blind spots.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I disagree with this. One should not tailgate (no "gap"). If there's an emergency stop, you will have more brake reaction and distance/time and, more importantly, this will allow you to dampen your braking making it less likely that the average bear motorist tailgating behind you will rear-end you (or worse). As an alternative, I suggest trying to stay out of blind spots or reducing your time in this dangerous area to a minimum. Oh well, it's probably no big surprise that different riding philosophies exist. FZ6-Forum is a great place to air them. To be fair, I suppose one must apply the appropriate measures to fit the local traffic envioronment, i.e., slow, congested vs. fast-paced moving traffic since there are going to be situations where it's near impossible to stay out of other's (including riders) blind spots.

I didn't say to tailgate. There is a difference in following too closely and leaving too much room, or seeing that there's an empty lane in front of you vs the other lane that's all qued up. An empty space is an open invitation for some cager to pull in without realizing that there could possibly be a motorcyclist approaching. I'm sure you have encountered this experience in your car in one form of another, possibly during bumper to bumper traffic. You are correct that appropriate measures applies to fit the local traffic scene. I'm just saying, be very cautious about gaps, they can be very dangerous because the rider mentioned he likes to create gaps. Maybe he was referring to separation, which means leave everyone in the dust. Separation is good.

Last edited:

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
I didn't say to tailgate. There is a difference in following too closely and leaving too much room, or seeing that there's an empty lane in front of you vs the other lane that's all qued up. An empty space is an open invitation for some cager to pull in without realizing that there could possibly be a motorcyclist approaching. I'm sure you have encountered this experience in your car in one form of another, possibly during bumper to bumper traffic. You are correct that appropriate measures applies to fit the local traffic scene. I'm just saying, be very cautious about gaps, they can be very dangerous because the rider mentioned he likes to create gaps. Maybe he was referring to separation, which means leave everyone in the dust. Separation is good.

Exactly! Separation!

What I meant was this- have you ever noticed that in traffic on the interstate (not bumper to bumper) but just lots of traffic everyone kinda going the same speed?

There always seems to be a big pack of traffic maybe held up by a truck or slow drivers and then for a couple hundred yards ahead you will have kinda of a big empty zone with few cars either going way too fast or just kinda spread out thin and then ahead of that is another herd of traffic all packed together held up by trucks, cops, grandmas in the left lane, etc.

I like to try and stay in that kinda no mans land in the right lane in that middle zone and let the nuts trying to get ahead of everybody stay in the left lane. I mean usually everyone is going 70+ and these people will fly by up to the next pack of cars and tailgate everyone and flash their lights. This is what I mean.

I like to get on the highway in a mess of cars going 60-70 heading out of the city and work my way (not lane splitting- illegal in Alabama) safely through traffic trying to get ahead always careful to leave a couple of car lengths in front of me.

Then I love those on-ramps with the "this lane ends" sign where the lane goes on for ever and everybody is jockeying for position right off the ramp trying to get that big ole' cage in the pack

. I will drop it into fourth and blast past everybody (with plenty of paved roadside should someone pull out) and get ahead.

Once you hit that pocket of sporadic traffic it is a game to try and not get too far ahead or drop too far back but just stay in that zone. And then people get off at their exit, under the overpass you go, and there is another on ramp everyone flying into the left lane and I just wait and when all is clear hit the " this lane ends."

Maybe I am crazy but it makes riding in traffic fun. You have to be VERY defensive and concentrate and go slow, then be patient, then be very aggressive jumping from 55 to 95 and back to 70 to merge back in. Then sit in the zone. It makes commuting fun.

Sorry for the rant but I have a stretch coming out of the city that I go about 31 miles on and it goes from 4 lanes down to two and of course every on ramp makes three for a few hundred yards.

I get off my bike feeling so refreshed after that. There is so much room on the interstate compared to my winding, hilly, tree filled neighborhoods where danger is around every corner. I will try and stay as safe as possible and actually obey the speed limits there.

That is the nice thing about our bikes. Cruise in the neighborhood and fly on the interstate.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly! Separation!

What I meant was this- have you ever noticed that in traffic on the interstate (not bumper to bumper) but just lots of traffic everyone kinda going the same speed?

I like to try and stay in that kinda no mans land in the right lane in that middle zone and let the nuts trying to get ahead of everybody stay in the left lane. I mean usually everyone is going 70+ and these people will fly by up to the next pack of cars and tailgate everyone and flash their lights. This is what I mean.

Just be careful riding in that right lane of the freeway. Thats proabably the most dangerous lane to travel on. You have too many people merging on and off the freeway, even worse, the occasional cager who decides to take that exit at the very last second from the middle lane(s) without expecting to see a motorcyclist. Thats why I prefer the extreme left lane, yes, it's the fast lane but you only have to worry about bad lane changes from your right. The people ahead of you and coming up behind you, well, that package comes with every lane.

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
I have not had anyone trying to take the exit at the last second! Thank you! I never really thought about it- I know, sounds like I am pretty dumb but it just never occurred to me. I got out today and went riding in Memorial Day traffic and it was a blast but man I REALLY had to keep on my toes- some bastard forced me off the road about 50 yards before a bridge!

That was a good wake up call for me and my " plenty of room on the side of the interstate in case of emergency ".

The whole family's eyes went wide as I quickly passed them ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. I really cannot believe they did not see me. I sometimes think people do it on purpose.

I recently took a friend out with me to do some interstate riding and he said that as soon as I blew past a big Tahoe they pulled right in front of him-there were no other cars so it was obvious it was on purpose. He was riding a big Handa Areo or Shadow....anyway a cruiser so he was having a hard time keeping up anyway but it really goes to show.

I know I really should be more careful and I have already learned once what it is like to make a mistake and part of my leg will never be the same but I just really enjoy going fast on the freeway.

I did go riding with some people on time who were really doing some crazy stuff that I will never do. They were doing wheelies at 90! Doing wheelies while splitting lanes. Standing up on their bikes while holding onto the handle bars. Then we went interstate racing and that is where I picked it up from-of course I stopped when we got up to 130 and they quickly left me behind. They were crazy. Then again maybe I am crazy

I guess I am crazy. We have a great track here that is only about 20 minutes away from me Barber Motorsports Park and I would love to get out and do a track day. I think that would be a good replacement for me as far as having fun but it may sound silly but that scares the hell out of me. Who will teach me????

Anyway, thanks for all of your posts and words of wisdom. I really do appreciate it and I guess that is why we all are here.