I’ve practically seen my tires “melting” away!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If that's the tire you want, that's the tire you want. But we're not talking about "just a bit cheaper", it's more like $100 to $150 cheaper per set. Just passing on the info...do as you please. :thumbup:

What about the BT-016 or BT-003? They go for $230 to $260 shipped including taxes if you buy them from an out of state vendor that does not have sales tax nexus in CA.

There is also the new version of the dunlop qualifier that is supposed to be an excellent tire....not sure on the price.
I spoke to a Dunlop tyre tech at the Top gear shown in Dublin (December). He also said that the new Qualifier was excellent. There are a number of Police forces moving over to it. I told him that I wanted a tyre that would last as well as my BT021. He told me that the new qualifier would be up to the job. He actually felt that calling it "Qualifier" was a bit misleading as it suggested that it was only good for a few hot laps. He stated that where it stood out from other tyres was. That is heated up quickly from cold and possessed excellent wet weather grip properties (something that the BT tyres have been criticised for).
My dad is going to stick a set on his VFR. I will keep you posted.
On a side note, I have used the BT016 and found it to be very sticky. Unfortunately at the time I had a lot of city riding and it squared off pretty quickly.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm, maybe I wasn't to clear, I don't know. The story goes like this:

1. I consider my life very important.

2. I had noticed how worn my tires were Saturday before lunch time, that's when I took the BEFORE pictures. I also noticed a nail in rear, so I decided to change the tires.
That's why I went straight home, but without believing the tires are so close to their end - see BEFORE pictures, they are worn, but nothing as close to what they looked when I got home.
I don't think anyone who seen the BEFORE pictures will tow its bike home.

3. I got home and I was in shock seeing how the tires wear in 1 hour (which is I think unusual, at least for me, that's why I'm posting this for others to be aware of this popular Pirelli tire wear behaviour).
I will be aware of this next time & I will change the tires way before reaching this point.

4. The whole story has nothing to do with wrongfully evaluating my life and safety - I was aware since I saw the tires BEFORE lunch time that I need a new pair, but I wasn't ready to see them in such bad shape after I got home 1 hour later.

Cheers!
Was the road surface very hot that day? On the odd day that we get blistering sun here I can physically manipulate the rubber on my tyre after a long ride.

Nelly

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Was the road surface very hot that day? On the odd day that we get blistering sun here I can physically manipulate the rubber on my tyre after a long ride.

Nelly

it was around 70F outside, sunny & dry.
And yes, I rode those tires on canyons in the summer & fall with outside temps around 100F a lot - maybe another reason they didn't last very long.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Mate,I can't believe the state of that tyre :eek:

What are the laws in the States on Tyres? that would have been illegal over here a long time before it finally gave out and they dish out big fines to go with it.(up to $4000 a tyre)

Last edited:

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
man there is a UFO at 2:46!!!!
watch at the upper left!!

Last edited: