• Had the right price range

Votes: 15 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sfcali86

Proud Dad
Reaction score
Visit site
well i dont know about you guys but as a beginner i was just browsing, i liked the honda cbr and r6. one day i wen to a yamaha dealer to make a decision and there it was i knew nothing about the fz6 the salesman convinced me i sat on the bike and that was it love at first sight i didnt wait a day i got it then and there it was ment to be was the only one they had.. you guys know the extraordinary super fast black.. :Flip: jk anyways thats how i got mine howd you find yours?

Last edited:

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Was hating my suzuki and went to my dealer. Had in narrowed down between a R6, R6s and the FZ6. My girl was with me, I sat on the R6s (my first choice) but her as a passenger was brutal. Sat on the R6 and she wouldn't even sit on it, so the FZ6 was my obvious choice. Sat on it, took it for a drive, fell in love and bought it. Somehow dad having the FZ1 helped a bit too

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
Luck for me. I had no idea what an FZ6 was until I saw pictures on craigslist. I still thought he was making a mistake and told him an R6 right? I test rode both the FZ6 was much more practical for being my only way to commute.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode an FZ6 in driving school (the 78 bhp version), and that's why I bought it. Liked the looks of it, how it handled with only me in the saddle and 2up. I was told by my driving instructor that the quality of the bikes were really good also.

I've always liked naked bikes, and that kind of limited the selection. I did think of a Ducati Monster, but I figured I'm not THAT in love with my tool box...... I also considered a Buell 2003-model, but thought it was too pricey. Besides, the quality isn't anywhere near the Yamaha bikes.

Of course, there where a Bandit or two and a Hornet in the equation, but the FZ6 turned out to give me most bang for my bucks:thumbup: I'm very happy with my choice!

smidge

Reaction score
www.mightycarmods.com
saw one sitting at a dealer, had no idea what it was first up, but knew that R6's and the like were way to bent over to be comfy for my day to day riding

loved the look of the faired model, even though most people i meet seem to prefer the nakeds, i HAD IT with naked bikes (COLD!, WINDY!) and wanted a screen and decent headlights

kept it in mind and found my '04 at a good price and away i went!

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My dealer had just lost its Honda franchise, of course I wanted the new Honda Hornet. So I wandered in wondering what to do and there was a Power Blue FZ6 sitting there saying buy me. It was much cheaper than the Hornet, I got it there and then. I could be on a GSR600 now otherwise. :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 was the first bike i looked at test rode, when i went lookingfor another bike....love middleweights, love naked bikes, love a bike that gives good reward at the throttle.....the FZ was all of those....instantly knew i wanted it.

:thumbup:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I sort of was in the right place at the right time for mine , when i decided i was in the market for a new bike i'd narrowed it down to 2 choices.......Them being.....
a.) Middleweight - Bang for buck you cant beat :D
b.) Triumph TT600 :drool: - Always had a love for there looks since they were released in 2000

This in mind i set out to find a Trumpy , found a 2002 model at the local Yammie dealer for $7990 + orc , i was ready to walk inside and go for a test ride when the Salesman came out to me and we got chatting , he pipes up and says " how bout a brand new bike for the same price " ?.....I says " what sort " he goes the one over your left shoulder........I turned around and saw my baby , love at first sight it was and ive never looked back :)

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
Due to my situation, it was a number of things for me. I have always thought about getting a bike, but never really looked into getting one heavily until I was in Iraq. Hearing stories of other riders and just the shear pleasure in riding, I decided that I could afford one and it would be a nice self gift from a long year in this hell-hole. Well, looking around the internet, being self conscious of my riding skills, and my budget, I had determined that my bike would be either a SV650, Ninja650, or a FZ6. I was already drawn into the FZ6 due to Yamaha itself. I have been playing the saxophone for nearly 12 years now, and Yamaha has made precision instruments that I love to use. With that, and my insurance being 80 dollars a month more for a 601+cc bike, I had decided to go with the FZ6.

One nice thing about being stuck somewhere for a year, you have nothing but time to wait and find the right deal. Watching different internet adds for over a month, I came across mine. An '05 silver FZ6, stock, mint, with only 1600 miles on it for 4200 dollars. A few crappy over the internet calls later, I had the money transferred and I now owned my own motorcycle

One thing though, The beauty of an FZ6 can never be captured by a photograph you get from an ad.

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
actually my brother in law bought one as his first bike, and when I saw it, I fell in love. That was one year before I actually started thinking about getting a license and buying a bike myself. I looked at some other bikes (Suzuki SV650, Honda Hornet, Kawa Z750), but they were no match for the Fizzer. Went out and bought a brand new one, couldn't be happier.

Yatz86

Chick Magnet
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually wanted an R6 initially. After a 600km ride on my previous ride GSXR400rr encountered back problem and was looking around for a better ergonmics bike.

After some research on the following like insurance, mileage, price and of course better posture, it was down to a few bikes. FZ1, FZ6, hornet, cb400revo. The underseat exhaust beats all hands down after looking at the 04 version=)

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a Yammie XT225 (still have) as a do-all commuter. I pictured it being the untimate light weight, everything bike for me. I love it, but it can't really do everything. I thought I could beat the odds and do some light touring on it. ouch.

Anyway, I wanted a new bike and I had researched the SV650 and the Fazer with the Fazer winning out, though I decided I didn't want a "sport" bike. What I really wanted was a Wee-Strom. This was late '07 and I found a new '06 at dealer about 100 miles away and went to buy it. I climbed up on the Strom and realized that it would take major mods to get me comfortable and safe on that tall bike. (Tall for me anyway... I'm short.) Well, a Fazer (my Fazer) was parked right next to it in the showroom and my wife said "that bike is pretty and it looks lower. And look at the price!" I sat on it and said "hmmm, nice." The salesman suggested a test ride.

Obviousy you know the rest of the story. Whoa. :eek:

Bought proper gear and some soft bags with the money saved between the the two bikes and rode the hundred miles home with a grin ear to ear the entire way.

skyjake

Reaction score
Visit site
I only had a learners license and a friend of mine had one. He told me to jump on his and take it out. So, I did. As one can imagine, it was a little intimidating. Later, after getting my license and I was on my 2nd bike, we were riding together and we switched bikes for a while. I enjoyed riding it and loved the look of the bike.

I bought mine from craigslist.org. The color was my first choice but the price was very good I think.

This bike fits my personality much more than a Cruiser.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a look for suitable bikes and checked their specs, then went out shopping.

Third shop I checked I saw an orange 06 second hand and decided that was the bike for me.

Had to tack it onto my mortgage which took a while. When I rang them up to tell them I had the money, they told me they'd sold it.

Doh! I asked if they could let me know when they got another in and the guy said to come and look at a new one.....He said he'd make the price reasonable:thumbup:.

So I went and got my beast.:D

Imagine my surprise when I met Wolfman and discovered that he was the one that bought the orange 06...LMAO...Good taste dude:thumbup::D.

Cheers
Mike

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I had an 08 Ninja 250r that I had learned to ride on, and was ready to get a new bike. So I put it on Craigslist, and started looking for a new bike.

My wife had a co-worker that said that I should check her ex-finance's bike out because she was selling it, so I did. I went over to her house, and sat on the bike. Fist time I had seen one, so I was curious about the bike. I did a little research on the bike, and with the research and the way it felt, I knew it was the one.

My bike came from an abusive home, so it was my duty to step it and take care of it. My bike had been dropped on one side, and stuff dropped on it on the other (I guess). I sold the ninja a week later on a Friday Night. About an hour after I sold the ninja I called the lady to see if she still had the FZ and if she would take my price. She said yes she still had it, and yes she would sale it to me for my price. The next day I went to the lady's house, and picked up my bike.

GREAT DAY!!! I have not had one regret with my decision.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
i had gone to the dealer in late 03-early 04 for something with my old bike. Couldn't even tell you what it was. I saw it sitting in the showroom and did some research on it. I knew I wanted something more on the "standard" side of things, as I didn't want a sport bike, or a cruiser, and had grown up riding ATV's and dirtbikes that had more of the UJM seating position. I didn't have the money to buy it at the time, so I just drooled a little.

In the summer of 04, I stopped into the dealer to pick up an oil filter for my ATV, and the ol' fizzer was still sitting in the showroom. I talked to the salesman/owner about it, and got to working out the pricing and financing. Went home to "think about it", and call around to a few other dealerships to check on their prices (and if they even had one). I called the dealership back and told him I wanted it, and he put the paperwork together. 2 days later it was in my driveway.

Most expensive oil filter I've ever bought.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I spent roughly 1 month researching the bike by reading reviews, lurking on forums, contacting insurance companies and chatting with my local Yamaha dealer.

Initially, I was leaning more towards the Ninja 650 R until I sat on one at a local dealer. The Ninja isn't a bad bike, it just didn't fit me like the FZ6 does. Add in Yamaha's legendary reliability, and racing heritage and you've got a winning combo. I liked the fact the FZ6 engine is derived from the previous generation R6 which makes it one heck of a motor!

FZ6 build quality was obviously better than the Ninja 650R and I was able to negotiate a sweet deal on the FZ. My insurance guy told me the FZ6 is actually cheaper to insure than the Ninja 650 because of the way it's classified.

I'm a happy camper with the FZ6, although I might consider the FZ1 at some point down the road.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Researched the heck out of it full nerd-style - including a matrix of criteria and weighted scores, dimensions, etc. At the end of it I was left with a choice between and FZ6 and an EX500 which probably made since b/c it was my first bike but I wanted the FZ way more than an EX so when I found one with low miles, a low price and nearby I went and bought it. I'm way happy with the choice - to the point that it's getting kind of annoying b/c I still can't find a different bike that does as much for anywhere near this price - I'm going to have to keep this one forever.

Here's the list of bikes I considered:
Kawasaki 650R Ninja
Kawasaki 500R/EX500 Ninja
Kawasaki ZR750S
Honda 599
Yamaha FZ6
Suzuki GS500F
Kawasaki ZR-7S
I also sat on an SV650 and ruled it out before I got serious and liked VFRs but knew they were too much money for me.

Last edited: