How to value an engine and transmission before selling?

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know how to value/price an engine and transmission before selling? The mileage is a couple hundred miles over 11,000. The oil was changed at every scheduled oil interval, using synthetic oil and K&N oil filters. Plugs were changed at 8000 miles. It has a K&N air filter too. There are scratches on the left side, but the only MAJOR damage is on the right side (see picture). Thanks!

Left Side
IMG_3445.jpg

Right Side
IMG_3450.jpg

Your comments are welcomed as I don't know the valve of the engine and transmission and would like to figure it out.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Nasty, looks like the RH slider dug in and tore the frame member off?
As for value, hard to say. Only buyers I can think of would be someone
who toasted an engine due to poor/no maintenance, or someone with
a project in mind and needs a mill. Can't see either of those people
wanting to spend much. I'd start at a grand and take anything even close,
though I'd be surprised if you actually got anything near that.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Used engines over here seem to hover around the £400 ($580) mark for an undamaged one,though I've seen them go on e bay for £150 ($215) with damaged casings.

I guess it's all down to supply and demand.The more fragile an engine,the more that blow up and need replacing.Luckily,the FZ has all the relatively 'Bomb proof' traits of the R6 it was developed from,hence not many seem to let go.

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Call a salvage yard and see what they will offer you for it.. Double that figure for the retail price

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With that right side part of the block broke off with the slider, that engine either needs new cases or consider it toast....

The motors probably worth a couple hundred dues to the main rigfht side case.

If you break it down further,ie; head, cylinders, transmission, etc, you'll do considerably better parting it out.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say as a whole you are wasting your time. I would tear it right down and go that route. I can't believe there is a very big demand for stock fz6 internal parts......

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There have several posts about poor shifting, sticky clutches, etc. Should someone have a legitimate problem it needs to be repaired.

Price out a transmission/transmission part or clutch basket, Fuel Injection or electrical alternator, starter, etc, they ain't cheap....

I'd do a search on E-bay and see whats out there and what its going for...

Just a thought....