How to trip a damn traffic light??????????

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Erm.....let me see! Nope, still don't really get it?! and you can go through red lights??? Isn't that kinda dangerous? I just don't get America!

LOL

Ha we live here and we still don't get some of the stuff that happens here.

actually in order to keep a main road traffic light flowing, the light metered side street have pads that trip the side street light only when a car stops on the trip pad that have sensors embedded in them to change the light for the side street traffic to proceed, well since the average weight of an american is the weight of an FZ6 the weight of the vehicle needs to be from 900 pounds in weight on up. about 64 stone if my conversion is correct

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
There was an article in USA Today last week (not sure which day, maybe June 11 or 12) regarding this very topic. The headline was “Some states green-light new red-light laws for motorcycles.” It stated that seven states have passed laws specifically allowing motorcycles to proceed at sensor-controlled signals that do not sense their presence. Those states are: South Carolina, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Idaho, Arkansas, Tennessee and Minnesota. Bills have been introduced in Georgia, Missouri and Oklahoma for the same purpose. So, write your state representative, maybe you can get your state added to the list.
Of course, the Federal Highway Administration doesn’t think it’s a good idea. In a prime example of bureaucratic big-brother-speak, a spokesman for the Federal Highway Administration stated that “We don’t necessarily think that empowering average motorists to make up their own rules of the road is the safest or best approach.” So if the laws allowing motorcyclists to proceed in this situation catch on, look for the FHA to blackmail states to repeal them lest they lose Federal Highway funds, their favorite tactic to enforce the “right” laws.
By the way, the seller of the “green light trigger” magnets was given some free advertising. I will have to see a test by some knowledgeable and reputable person, agency or whatever before I believe those devices will work reliably.
As far as turning right on red to avoid such a situation, sometimes that is not allowed, so then you are stuck with doing something that is illegal.

bombadillo

Reaction score
Visit site
Get a neodymium magnet, put it on the lowest possible spot thats safe on the bike. It doesn't have to be that large, just a thumb size magnet will do, and then you'll be fine at least in the U.S.

Howattzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Install a set of Scorpions and be rev-happy at the lights. A few intersections that gave me trouble in the past are no longer a problem.

Failing that, the stop sign rule seems logical.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
For the most part I too look for a safe "go ahead" and run the red light. I swear some clown is going to call the cops on me and they are going to visit with me down the road.

I really do not think there will be a problem if you are polite and explain the problem in a non-hostile rational tone with them.

At least we know we can duplicate the problem for the Judge if need be - see yah in court. :)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just run them. Stop, look and listen. Check my six for cops and go. On the bicycle I scan the intersection if I can, if not I stop, and I just keep riding.

I have gotten off and pushed the crosswalk button but its a bit of a PITA.

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys are lucky, at least you can SEE the trip wires. In my town they paved over them, so we can't tell where they are or if the intersection even has them. I believe we have a "reasonable and prudent" law here: If you wait at the red light for what would normally be two light changes, then you can treat it as a stop sign as long as there is no other traffic and it is "reasonable and prudent."

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a FE kit that hides the plate from those cameras would be a necessite...

That work for long, as at the moment, the Road Safety guru's - read revenue raisers are trying very hard to make front number plates compulsory on all bikes for "safety reasons"...not so the speed camera's can get them from in front! and if you believe that, you deserve what you get. Fortuneatly, Motor cyclists are getting their collective stuff together, and are lobbying hard against the proposed legislation.

H

HavBlue

That is why in NH, you have to wait for a full cycle of the lights, meaning it didn't trip the first time or the second, then you can proceed. You cannot simply pull up, look both ways and proceed through the red light. That IS running a red. :thumbup:

This has been my experience in most of the states I have been to as well. The inductive loop sensor is a relatively simple sensor. When a vehicle reaches the loop, the metal mass of the vehicle disturbs the magnetic field over the loop, which causes a change in the loop's inductance. This is how the loop sensor detects a vehicle or on the larger systems, multiple vehicles..

The size of the loop, the shape of the loop, the number of "turns" in the loop coil and the length of the lead in wire all combine to form a specific circuit. The current passing through the loop wires generates an electromagnetic field. When a vehicle passes through the field it then acts as a conductor, changing the inductance of the loop. The sensor detects this change and notifies the traffic-signal controller of its finding.

So, why don't bikes set off the trigger? More and more the materials bikes are built from are non magnetic and their respective mass is quite small compared to the likes of a cage. Therefore, the bike will not disrupt the magnetic field enough to trip the sensor. In many cases signals are set to trip by the field or by time or both. In the past few years I have seen few if any of the older weight sensors although they are probably still around in some places. What gets me is the fact that technology has gone out the window here. All they need is a pad backed off the light a few feet that reads the vehicle going over it when the tires hit it much like the old weight pads or the traffic survey cords you see from time to time. Simple but highly effective and our problem is solved.

W

wrightme43

I hate sensor lights! Oh how I hate sensor lights. Damn them. Damn them I say.

luckyirishboy209

custom fz6 foot peg maker
Reaction score
Visit site
the good old getting stuck at red lights:Flip: you can get this at Motorcycle Parts, Gear and Accessories at MotoSport for $25.00

Unconditionally guaranteed.
Stop getting stuck at red lights!
Works on motorcycles, scooters, mopeds, and bicycles.
Simple, safe, legal, and effective.
Installs is seconds with no wiring
Thousands in use all over the U.S. and overseas

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, here's what I do and most of the time it works. When I'm coming up to the stop light, I go a little faster than I should because when I run over the pads that have the sensors under them I jam on my front brake on as many as I can and that forces more weight on the sensors. There are usually about 3 sets of sensor pads so I try to hit all of them. But you have to time it just right. If you're carrying a passenger, you might want to warn her.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Rare-earth magnet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are very strong magnets and this is what you want to produce a larger field at the road loops. :D I've heard of some people using epoxy to put them on their boots so they can set a foot down on the loop as well.

this sounds safe when mounting and dismounting.. all of a sudden while dismounting your foot gets stuck to the frame and you both topple over hehehe ;)... everyone around wonders why you power kicked your bike and let it fall on you

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Another approach is to pull ahead of the white stop line (probably illegal) and let the car behind you get into the loop. This doesn't always work because some drivers won't move ahead once they have stopped. Of course you don't want to be sitting out in the intersection either, but sometimes there is some room ahead of the stop line.

+1

I have a problem-light on my commute - I pull ahead so the cars behind me trip it, even motioning them to move forward if needed.

I'm probably supposed to inform the DMV of a defective light sensor, but I'm too cynical to think they'll refine the sensitivity.

Because of the light combinations and visibility, I haven't run it yet, but I'm tempted...sorely tempted....

edit: DOT, not DMV...wrong government buera...burau..beura...organization.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I try to avoid stop lights when possible, at least one's I can't turn right on red. If i get stuck i do a few things:

-Try the high beams, some lights sense your headlights.
-Turn the bike on and off, some people say the electric current used to start your bike will trip the stop light
-Put your kickstand down as close to the metal lines of the sensor on the ground.

If that doesn't work, treat it like a stop sign or wait for a car to pull up behind you.

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After the light cycles thru and if there is no traffic I just go. The bike might not have enough mass to trigger the sensor. This happened to me at night, I just looked to make sure there was no traffic comming and rode thru the intersection. I would assume that it would be unrealistic to have to wait for a car to come buy to trip the sensor for you, as long as you waited for the light to cycle thru. Good Luck

Doc