How to remove dents from gas tank

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, a little backstory. Warning, wall of text incoming and cliffs at the bottom for the lazy.

So I picked up the Fz6 a week ago (used) and rode it home. My previous bike was a Suzuki Marauder 800 cruiser and the weight of that bike while similar to the Fz6, is much lower to the ground and this is important. Now, I was messing around with the center stand and was between the bike and the wall. Having never used a center stand before (except on my CB175 which weighs next to nothing), I was trying to see how easy it would be to set it. So I get on the bike to rock it off and don't have a hold of the front brake (stupid me). In a panic as it started rolling towards stuff in front of it in my garage, I grabbed handfuls of hard front brake. That stopped me going forward, but because my tire was at a slight angle, I lost my balance and immediately threw my right leg over the seat so that I was standing between the bike and the wall.

The bike was going over whether I liked it or not so here I am wedging against the wall and my lawnmower which is between my left side and the wall I'm using as leverage also. I managed to keep the bike from falling (yeah!) but because I was wedged so bad and the bike was darn near sideways, my knee or waist (not sure which) was resting against the gas tank and all that weight was being pushed back against it. Suffice to say, I managed to put a very, very large dent in the tank on the left side. I didn't discover the dent because where I park the bike I don't ever see the left side unless I walk over to that side. I put the bike away on Friday of last week and didn't notice the large dent until Sunday when I went out for a ride. I immediately got extremely miffed at the guy I bought it from (keep in mind, we're talking three days since acquiring it) and it didn't dawn on me until I was sitting there and thinking about how he could have pulled one over on me when I realized this happened because of me and not him! I immediately asked for God's forgiveness for wishing serious harm upon that nice man who actually did take very good care of this bike. :D But I digress.

Once home, I took a suction cup off my car's gps mount and managed to pop a very large portion of the dent right out. However, in doing this, it created two fairly large dents because of the way the metal was bent. That's when I started thinking paintless dent repair, body shop, and do it yourself type solutions. I ended up buying a dent repair kit off of Amazon. This [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006FKFMC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]one[/ame] to be exact due to the most favorable reviews. I've now worked on the dents with this kit and I'm quite pleased with the results. It's not perfect, but it is 100x better than it was.

Cliffs:

1 Put large dent in gas tank due to my own stupidity
2 Got some of it out with suction cup from GPS mount
3 That left two large dents due to the way the metal was bent
4 Ordered kit
5 Fixed dents for the most part
6. Impressive results and happy biker!

Ok, now on to the tutorial. I'll start in a new post.

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, now on to the fun part and excuse my messy garage as we're in the process of selling our house and moving.

This is what I used:

WP_20130418_002_zps1976f170.jpg

It comes with two sizes of dent pullers, a glue gun, two colors of glue sticks, a tool to fix a high spot should one be created by the pulling, and the cross bar. There are yellow glue sticks and red glue sticks. The red is for pulling dents in 75-95F temperatures and the yellow is for pulling dents 55-70F temperatures.

Here's a couple of shots of the dents before repairs.

revs_zps9a79a79f.jpg

WP_20130417_009_zpse837ae2a.jpg

Sorry for the lighting, I tried to do my best when taking the pictures to show the severity and size of the dents. The dent closer to the seat is actually much larger than the dent that's on the contour line.

To use the dent puller, you put some glue on the end of the dent puller and place the puller in the center of the dent for about 10 seconds or until the hot glue has cooled so that it will hold itself up. You then place the crossbar over the puller and turn a wing nut until the dent pops out.

Here's what the dent puller looks like attached without the crossbar:

WP_20130417_013_zps3a6584ef.jpg

And here it is with crossbar in place ready to pull:

WP_20130417_014_zpsec138eba.jpg

You turn the wing nut until the dent is removed and repeat the process until you have the desired results. One problem I had, was the lower dent (closer to the front of the bike) had part of the dent that fell on the contour line of the tank. This effectively means that complete dent removal of that dent is not possible. I did manage to make it much smaller and less noticeable, but the dent is still there. Now the dent closer to the seat and a little higher on the tank was completely removed by the puller or at least to about 95% where you'd never be able to tell.

Here's a couple of after photos showing the results.

WP_20130417_015_zps433db837.jpg

WP_20130417_018_zps94591a99.jpg

You can certainly see how much of an improvement there is. Overall, I'm very impressed with the results and I consider the kit $35 well spent. It's certainly not professional body shop quality, but it is of course, much cheaper (and fun). Also, it only took me about 1 hour of total time from start to cleanup to remove the dents. I'm looking forward to getting out of my wife's van, a couple of door dings my son put there when he opened my car door into it.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
a quick ( prob stupid ) question. You say you glue the tab to the dent, how does or do you remove the glue ( glued ) part from the bike?

Also how many times can this be used?

Other then that, looks awesome, i dont have any dents but i know what i will be buying if i do

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Appreciate the cliff notes, not to mention the review!

Can I ask how those dents ended up there in the first place? They don't look scuffed like the bike was dropped

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, Derek... I think I'll give this a shot. I have a small gas tank dent that I've just been ignoring for a year. Great review.

Good luck with the move!

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
a quick ( prob stupid ) question. You say you glue the tab to the dent, how does or do you remove the glue ( glued ) part from the bike?

Also how many times can this be used?

Other then that, looks awesome, i dont have any dents but i know what i will be buying if i do

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

The kit comes with what it calls a "release agent". I tried my sniffer to see if I could smell what it was but I couldn't. Once you've got the dent pulled to where you want it, you remove the crossbar and wing nut leaving the dent puller attached. Then, you drip a couple of drops of the release agent onto the puller and glue. The glue then peels right off the metal and the puller.

I updated the picture above and got a picture of the front of the kit showing all the components. Sorry about that, it was late last night when I posted that.

I pulled those two large dents out and used up one stick of the yellow glue. The kit comes with quite a few of each of the glue sticks so as long as the glue sticks last (not sure if you can buy more).

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been looking at these because I have a few small dents that I would like to take care of. From what I could tell it is possible to get more of the glue sticks but I'm not sure if they are different from what you could get for a normal glue gun. I know there are different types of glue sticks out there for different applications.

Great write up and thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
Just an update. In today's natural light, the dents are certainly better, but I may work on the one on the contour line some more and see if I can get it just a little better. If I can, I'll post an updated pic.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered the same kit you pictured in the first post. Tried it out last night.
I had a smallish, pesky dent from where the PO's knee was when he dropped it during a low speed fall.
Worked like a champ! Had to go through the process twice to get it right, but I can barely see anything resembling the dent now.

Thanks for the recommendation! :rockon: