How to get back into it after crashing

Rourk

Reaction score
Visit site
It may be completely off topic, but since you guys have lamented the training/ATGATT comments, I'll go ahead anyway.

It looks like our new URL has attracted a broader riderbase - OP rides an r6, new poster, hasn't transitioned from an FZ that I can tell - so it leaves me with the following thought process:

"I ride an R6, that's a 600cc bike, maybe I should join the 600Riders forum"

(OP don't feel like I'm telling you to go away, great community here and you're more than welcome!) I just found it a bit funny.

Haha. Absolutely right. It came up on google search though looks like I has some really knowledgeable people here and I wanna learn so I'll stick around:)

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry 'bout yer get-off. :( I wouldn't rush back on if'n yer not feel'in it. Ride'in ain't fer everybody, maybe it's not for you? Bikez iz a dreadful addiction, so if you can get away, now's a good time. :thumbup:

I tossed mah FJR down the road ('bout 265 mi. from home) at about 60 mph last August, and a passer by helped me pick the thing up and get it to where it wuz rideable. I rode it 85 mi. to my parents 'n had my wife/sister come and get me 'n the bike.
I was banged up, mah little pinky finger wuz busted, (The Dr. wanted to operate ta set the bones, butt I told him no; that would interfer w/ my riding!) and the FJR wuz totaled so I rode mah FZ6 ta work the next day. Yay :cheer:
'bout a month later I took the home made splint off my finger, (So I could wear gloves again.) got a new rear tire, and wuz a little late ta work. Needless to say, making a right hander a block from mah crib, because my left hand wuz still gimpy, 'n the new tire, I dun spun up the rear on the FZ, fish tailed 'n bailed break'in mah collar bone this time. A passer by helped me pick thew bike up 'n I rode to work. (No brain, no pain! :p )
Started riding mini bikes when I wuz 8, got may street endorsement when I wuz 15 (1975) 'n have been ride'n ever since.
Wish I would get scared, wish I could quit this addiction butt my whole life's built 'round ride'n. Hell, be'in 53, I'm too old ta be bouncing down the road! :spank:
I tell you this cuz my name iz Banjoboy and I'm a moto-aholic! This may be a good time for you to quit?

Can i just say, in the friendliest possible way that the way you are typing makes it very hard and unenjoyable to read!
To the point where i actually have started to skip your posts entirely because i cannot be bothered to decipher them...

Really no trying to start a fight here, just have to say it because i can't believe i am the only one doing it, which is a shame!

Rourk

Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed.

And no I don't plan on quitting riding. I'm trying to learn from it and not looking for a shoulder to cry on

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting history the OP rides an R6 but also had a 2012 R1.

In 2010 I totally my 2009 R1 . The worst injuries that I knew of at the time were broken ribs and a badly sprained wrist. It took a long time for my ribs to heal and the interesting thing about it was the extra time I had to do absolutely nothing but be here on the forum and watch TV. I would get up and go outside but I was very limited because of the pain. I didn't take pain meds because I felt my body might heal quicker with put the meds. I later read an article that talked about that and my instincts were correct.
I didn't know whether I was going to ride again, just on the basis of how it would affect the relationship with my awesome wife and friend.

Eventually I was back on a bike earlier than I should have been. The first riding I did was to the spot I crashed. I knew I had to face it even though a little uncomfortable. I also discovered on that morning what I believe was the reason beside my aggression that I lost my front end.

Later, still not fully healed and on a big ride with members here to Angeles Crest, I was much shyer in turns because I didn't want to re injure what wasn't completely healed. I also realized my aggressive riding was subdued for 2 reasons. One was a promise to the most important person I know to be less selfish and think of her. The other was fear. Bodily injury includes pain as a basic natural reminder to stop whatever it is you're doing and heal. In healing I could give more thought to my aggressive behavior and modify where, when and why I would push it.
Basically you've probably experienced a crash on a road where you were riding more aggressive. The road has more uncertainty compared to a track and you will need time to re-acclimate on roads where a lot can happen.
Take your time and enjoy what you seem to not be able to live without.....riding...:)

Burt2707

Reaction score
Visit site
Soon after getting my unrestricted license I crashed my ride...

I was very used to a 250, here in Western Australia we used to have to learn to get a license on no more than 250, then be stuck on that for a year before you could "unrestrict" your license by re taking the test on an appropriate bike (more than 250...) We have more recently moved to the LAMS (learner approved motorcycle scheme) up to a 660cc, but power restricted to 150KW/tonne....

Only a month or so after I passed and had an "Unrestricted" license, I purchased my FZ6N, this being the same model bike I trained on to gain an unrestricted license. (training bike was an 09, I bought an 04)

Anyway, long story still long... I hit a white line on a greasy day and high sided, wheel spin on white line gave me a good ol clench moment, I had not the experience to stop from going over after getting it back up... This was at about 50km/hr.

After I finished rolling I got up, ran back to the bike, picked it up (luckily a lady had taken it upon herself to block oncoming traffic for me, I was on an on ramp) thanked the lady and rode home. Quick trip to GP to varify no breaks and all good, although hand still hurts a bit to this day. Bars were way bent and changing gears was anoying with a broken foot peg but I got there, was still riding the next day since I had a Hyosung 250 for sale sitting in the carport but took about a week to replace all FZ bits.

Last edited: