How to carry a midsized dog on the FZ6

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Hi,

Quess this one is for the more creative ones outhere, - any suggestions on how to carry a dog (and keep him alive) on the FZ6?
Lets assume that the dog can sit still on command, but still have to have some sort of harness and windprotection ....
The dog in question waights in at around 7Kg and is about 40 cm high. (Its a Cairn Terrier).

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not like this:
sheep_motorcycle.jpg

I would think the only safe way is to use a small motorcycle trailer with a kennel strapped to it.

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
Why would you even risk it? Call on your friends, family, or just call a cab if you don't have a car.

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just recently saw a guy on a cruiser with a kennel strapped on the back nestled up to the passanger back rest. It was a small kennel though and I would say that the critter in it wasn't any bigger than 10 pounds maybe?

I don't think I would try to harness the dog on the back - would opt more for a sidecar with some dome or lid. I could just see my dog seeing something really interesting (to her) and wanting to jump off or out.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Use this as an idea... eBay Motors: FastRack Motorcycle Luggage Rack Sportbike Rear Seat 1 (item 200213723592 end time Nov-30-08 23:31:40 PST)

Then strap a small carry kennel on top of it and put the dog inside. Make sure he has little room to move and some padding in there like a blanket or foam bed.

Rather than pay for one, you can make one from 3/4" plywood and fab some brackets to attach in a few places on the bike. Then it won't shift or wobble on the seat.

Either that or a good sized Givi top case... buy a spare and vent it?

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I foresee a few issues:

1. The dog must be secured to the bike so it can't jump off. (Due to the nature of any dog).
2. If in a crash, the dog should be released from the bike, and still be protected somehow. (Havent got a padded suit for the dog :) )
3. It would be nice to keep the dog in sight on the bike, - so that you can keep pease of mind.

Im not saying its possible, but it would be dam nice to be able to take the dog along for a short ride to the beach etc.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not a dog owner, so I may not really understand your point of view.

However, I don't think pets are appropriate for motorcycles.

fazter6

Reaction score
Visit site
My friend carries his 30lb dog on a special tall tank bag. The dog climbs in and lays down inside the tank bag with her head sticking out. She wears special goggles. She LOVES being on the bike and has never tried to jump out until she is allowed. He does say though that he has to ride much more conservatively when she is on-board. See attached picture.

Pyro

Junior Asistant VP
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw a rottweiler in a milk crate on the back of a cruiser. The dog was jumping from left to right, jerking the bike with it. I was sure he was going to lose control.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw a rottweiler in a milk crate on the back of a cruiser. The dog was jumping from left to right, jerking the bike with it. I was sure he was going to lose control.
Wow, I wouldn't think you could even fit one Rottie paw into a milk crate! :eek: